Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where you misheard the lyrics and like your version better

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, April 10, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: willbo on July 18, 2021, 08:03:38 AM
I always thought White Town's I could never be Your Woman was "never could be *a* woman"

That's Graham Linehan's next single sorted

New page Shite Clown more like.

Ray Travez

Belle and Sebastian-

Here on my own now after hours
Here on my own now on a bus
Think of it this way
You could either be successful or be arse

PeterCornelius

A few from me, with reminiscences

(Do Wah Diddy, Manfred Mann)
"Coughing up bangers and shuffling her feet"
"Holding my hand, just as mental as can be"

Until the dawn of the interweb, I believed that parts of Brass in Pocket were being sung in some kind of coded hipster lingo:

Got brass in pocket
Come faddle, I'm gonna use it
Intention, I'm feeling my tape
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

Got motion, a stained-up motion
Been driving Dittolini*
No reason, just seen soupy end
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

*a new Ferrari model, name of a race track? And I never knew what Brass in Pocket meant - we had a brass front door step at home when I was a kid, and we used to clean it with a product called Brasso.

"Don't give up on a Zyno" (David Soul, Don't Give Up Us)
"I've got no time for tripping out to teas" (When I Get Home, Beatles)

Finally, older members may remember this Maxell tape advert from 1989 (apologies if already posted):

https://youtu.be/Gib916jJW1o

Inspector Norse

'Richard III' by Supergrass came on in the car the other day and 25 years later I am still sure Gaz Coombes knows I want to try to gain weight.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 10, 2021, 12:22:45 PM
'Richard III' by Supergrass came on in the car the other day and 25 years later I am still sure Gaz Coombes knows I want to try to gain weight.

Not sure why he thinks that's the hardest thing you'll ever know. I find it dead easy.

Midas

Oneohtrix Point Never - Babylon

For years I thought it was...

QuoteLove it when I see you
In a state of misery

But was then informed, to my disappointment, it's...

In the state of Missouri

But I just looked it up now and it's actually...

In a state of disbelief

Can't believe it.

famethrowa

Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me. I was convinced that halfway through the last verse Phil sings "with the body in the phone booth", suggesting some sort of spicy big money coverup murder mystery. Turns out it's just "you can find me in the phone book", boring. It's a decent enough lyric but it doesn't go anywhere!

Mr Banlon

Hitler with your rhythm stick
Hitler, hit me
Das ist gut ja ! Fantastisch !

buttgammon

"Boozing and carousing" from the start of Idioteque by Radiohead.

"We're like Deleuze and Guattari" from The Robots by Kraftwerk.

non capisco

I was half asleep in the back of my parents' car as a child when I first heard 'Ride On Time' by Black Box and thought "Cause you're right on time" was "When Cyrano tells ya", thought the song was about Cyrano de Bergerac which goes some way to telling you what a dreadful little ponce I was aged ten.

Johnny Foreigner

Chantilly lace, pretty face,
All it takes hanging down.
People in the war, people running tall,
You know, it makes that world go round.

And nothing in the world like a big-eyed girl
Can make me act so funny that my dog won't bite me.
I feel real loose, like a raw-made goose.
Wop! baby, that's what I like.

(The Jerry Lee Lewis version which I had on a vinyl single, circa 1990)

pigamus

I've done "This one goes out to the one I love/Hiya!" haven't I?

fucking ponderous

Respectable Street
"Now they talk about absorption
In cosmopolitan proportions to their daughters"
Always thought it was "and cosmopolitan precautions" as in the "precautions" one would take to avoid a baby and how they are easier to access for those who have more money. "Cosmopolitan proportions" sounds good but it's meaningless basically
I guess I wouldn't call condoms "cosmopolitan" but whatever

daf

There's two versions of that - the single version was toned down :

QuoteAndy Partridge : "It's the contrast of it, yeah. Virgin quite liked "Respectable Street" when we delivered it, but they said, "You're never going to get it played on the radio, with words like 'abortion,' and 'contraception,' and stuff like that." So they made us go in and do a cleaned-up version, which I rewrote -- I changed "abortion" to "absorption," and "contraception" became "child prevention." Pointless, really. Totally and utterly pointless, it turns out, because even though we did a different vocal take -- and a much better mix, I think... But even though we did a punchier mix, with a "cleaned up" vocal, the BBC still wouldn't play it. For many years I didn't know why, and years later, I found out the reason they wouldn't play it was because of the phrase, "Sony Entertainment Centre."

Johnny Foreigner

She breaks your heart just a little too much, and cajoles,
She's got the London high five.
And as she turns her whip, she cracks her magic smile,
She got a letter from the better to her letter.

The passion of lovers is possessed, that's meeeeee
The passion of lovers is possessed
The passion of lovers is possessed, that's meeeeee
The passion of lovers is possessed

Pancake

Golden Brown, texture like sun, lays me down with my mansheeruns.

thought mansheeruns was some sort of large fruit like a durian fruit. Exotic.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Pancake on November 26, 2021, 05:04:09 PMGolden Brown, texture like sun, lays me down with my mansheeruns.

thought mansheeruns was some sort of large fruit like a durian fruit. Exotic.

A kid at school said a mancheerum was "a stirrup, for a horse".

pupshaw

Heart of Glass

QuoteIn between
What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine
Love is so confusing, there's no peace of mind
If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good
You cheesy armadillo

famethrowa

90's whiner "Stay" by Lisa Loeb. I was sure she sings "you're such a commie cause you want me on the day you let me go.." Seemed to work fine as a general insult at the time, if a little odd to equate communism with romantic vacillation, but it's actually more drab:

You said, "you caught me cause you want me
And one day I'll let you go"

pigamus

Steven88

In the song Evil by Interpol after i'd been singing "saying hey why can't we look the other way?" for 15 years it's impossible to hear "Sandy, why can't we look the other way?"

willbo

oh I remembered my fave one today. Guns N Roses - I thought "honey...take your credit card to the liquor store" was "take your wedding car to the liquor store" - and it was about a crazy boozy couple having their honeymoon in the car park of an LA liquor store. I like my version better.

Originally, I thought Iggy Pop sang about wearing a uniform 'on the government lawn' on 'Lust for Life'.

I pictured him laying waste to some government building along with a bunch of freaks, or at least causing some mild consternation by invading some sort of lawn that the hoi polloi were forbidden to trample on.

famethrowa

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on January 16, 2022, 11:56:23 PMOriginally, I thought Iggy Pop sang about wearing a uniform 'on the government lawn' on 'Lust for Life'.

I pictured him laying waste to some government building along with a bunch of freaks, or at least causing some mild consternation by invading some sort of lawn that the hoi polloi were forbidden to trample on.

Wouldn't be out of the question, there's some actual Zappa lyric about "doing a nasty on the White House lawn"

willbo

monster magnet - powertrip - "The gods told me to relax, they said I'm gonna be fixed up right" - I thought the cops told him to relax and lay off the drugs, with threats of action to come

weaseldust

this cover of trans europe express sounds like they're saying 'dogs are robots in space' and no one can tell me otherwise. i think i do like my version better

https://youtu.be/3tWdKAB_xM4?t=54

shlug

It's such a minor one but in Paranoid Android's chorus I always hear Thom say "What's this?" when otherwise its "What's that?".

It didn't really bother me until I heard Weezer's cover and Rivers sings "What's that?" in a way goes through me like glass.

Always hear that one line from Cash's "Hurt", due to his slight slurring of the words, as "What have I become, my Swedish friend?"

Which then leads me down a rabbit hole of picturing which Swede Johnny could be lamenting to, Ingmar Bergman, Benny from Abba maybe, the Muppets' chef? It adds a whole other dimension to it.

Bently Sheds

When Caribou's Dan Snaith played "Can't Do Without You" to his daughter for the first time she thought the "Can't Do Without, Can't Do Without" looped vocal that goes through the track was actually saying "Bob Can't Do It, Bob Can't Do It".

Since I read that fact in an interview with him it's what I hear too.

As a nine-year-old listening to a radio whose reception produced fuzzy sound, I heard Sham 69's If the Kids are United's chorus ('if the kids are united they will never be divided') as 'Hypocrite!  Wallah-wallah!  Yebble-Yebble!  Nana-nana!'  Is that better?  It's probably no less meaningless than the slogan in the true lyrics.