Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I always remember this cover with the Rotterdam Euromast pissing over Amsterdam.

The titles means: Amsterdam? Where's that then?

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 23, 2022, 08:02:57 AMAt the end of the track, we hear "Wat denk je? Zal Robin hem draaien?". This means "what do you think, will Robin play it?". This refers to Robin Albers and his then popular radio show "For Those Who Like To Groove" which also used to contain rave but was drifting towards more melodic house and club.

Robin Albers of Jaydee - Plastic Dreams fame

Sonny_Jim

QuoteRobin Albers of Jaydee - Plastic Dreams fame
Consider my hat ever so slightly more fucked.  Lovely tune, although of course it would be better with more distortion and two Dutch people pretending to be farmers ;)

Kankurette

7 Words to the Deftones, which I've been listening to for about 20 years, is an anti-police song. More specifically, the '7 Words' are 'you have the right to remain silent'. Although the line 'Mr P.I.G., could I fucking see' might have been a bit of a giveaway.

iamcoop

Probably an obvious one but I've just had my mind blown finding out that not only was Robert Palmer English but that he was born in fucking Batley in Yorkshire.

buttgammon

The great jazz bassist Charlie Haden was Jack Black's father-in-law. He had triplet daughters and one of them married Black.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: buttgammon on February 17, 2022, 10:30:21 AMThe great jazz bassist Charlie Haden was Jack Black's father-in-law. He had triplet daughters and one of them married Black.

Everybody mentioned here (plus Elvis Costello and many others) is on Charlie's "Rambling Boy", one of his last albums.
Another of the triplets is Petra, who played with Beck and The Rentals, and recorded a great version of The Who Sell Out (in which she played all instrumental and vocal tracks entirely a cappella) while she was recovering from a car accident. Mike Watt (The Minutemen, Iggy & The Stooges) had made her listen to the original album to change her mind.

buttgammon

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 17, 2022, 11:05:06 AMEverybody mentioned here (plus Elvis Costello and many others) is on Charlie's "Rambling Boy", one of his last albums.
Another of the triplets is Petra, who played with Beck and The Rentals, and recorded a great version of The Who Sell Out (in which she played all instrumental and vocal tracks entirely a cappella) while she was recovering from a car accident. Mike Watt (The Minutemen, Iggy & The Stooges) had made her listen to the original album to change her mind.

I've never heard this album so another hat fucked here!

studpuppet

From the Slade Wikipedia page:

QuoteIn 2003, incarcerated serial killer Rosemary West announced her supposed engagement to bassist Dave Glover. The supposed engagement was called off shortly afterwards and Glover was summarily fired from Slade by Dave Hill. Glover admitted having written to her about the case, but denied any romantic involvement.

The Culture Bunker

Bit of a minor one, but I found out today that 'Native New Yorker', a song which I love in the Odyssey version, was originally written for and performed by Frankie Valli.

His version is a bit weak compared to the one that became the hit, though.

Icehaven

REM's Shiny Happy People was first choice for the Friends theme tune.

Egyptian Feast

Via the latest Chart Music video playlist, I've found out The Smiths' 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' is a punning reference to Sandie Shaw's 'Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now'.

famethrowa

The famous sax part on Careless Whisper was played in a different key and the tape was sped up for the final result.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: famethrowa on February 27, 2022, 03:19:52 AMThe famous sax part on Careless Whisper was played in a different key and the tape was sped up for the final result.

Was it Bob Holness on speed?

boki

Pink Gregory

Hat not entirely fucked, but Jack Nance off of Eraserhead and other David Lynch films is in the video for Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies.

pupshaw

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 05, 2022, 09:18:45 AMHat not entirely fucked, but Jack Nance off of Eraserhead and other David Lynch films is in the video for Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies.

My expectations were low, but he's great in this

BJBMK2

Maybe this is one for the Obvious Things thread, but I actually feel somewhat stupid, for not seeing this until now:

52 Girls.

A song by the B-52's.

They put the name of the band, in the song. As well as in the lyrics at one point.

Clever, that.

studpuppet

I've just discovered that you can tell the difference between first and second pressings of the Blue Monday 12" because the first pressing starts "dum dum budda budda budda", while the second pressing starts without the first two beats ("budda budda budda").

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on March 08, 2022, 02:20:00 PMI've just discovered that you can tell the difference between first and second pressings of the Blue Monday 12" because the first pressing starts "dum dum budda budda budda", while the second pressing starts without the first two beats ("budda budda budda").
It's the other way round. The first pressing (FAC-73-A-1) that has the mastering error, which was a result of Strawberry's mastering engineer bringing the fader up too slowly. A new master was then made to correct the error for the second (FACT 73 A2) and subsequent pressings.

They also have different comments etched in the runout. The first pressing has "OUT VOTED!", which referred to the vote taken by the band as to leave the error in place. The second pressing has "THE ROBOT".

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on March 08, 2022, 02:46:52 PMIt's the other way round.

Yeah that's what I meant of course. What are you, my wife or something?!

Egyptian Feast

Mr C out of The Shamen's full name is, quite appropriately, Mr Cunt.

QuoteSo what does the C in Mr C stand for? The man himself explains: "It's cunt, actually. It's an affectionate term from my friends... it comes from being a piss-taker." #TOTP

pupshaw

The tune to the verse of I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday is a direct lift from the chorus of Wizzard's previous smash See My Baby Jive. I remember thinking what a swizz when it first came out, but it's become the more famous tune of the two. Love both though.

Proactive

Nik Kershaw wrote The one and only for Chesney Hawkes. Once you know that it seems soooo obvious.

Jockice

The Blessed Madonna is white. All I really knew about her is that she was previously called The Black Madonna, so I just assumed. Then I saw a picture on the Six Music schedules and thought: "That can't be her, surely." But it is her.

Icehaven

Quote from: Proactive on March 12, 2022, 09:15:02 PMNik Kershaw wrote The one and only for Chesney Hawkes. Once you know that it seems soooo obvious.

As if that wasn't enough;

Quote from: WikipediaKershaw's influence can also be heard throughout the track not only in guitar style but he also sung the vocal on the intro and choruses, with Hawkes singing the verses.

So Hawkes doesn't even sing the chorus/title of the song. Think they need to rename it "We are the two and onlies."

Also got one for the Obvious Things...thread; the film the song was from, 'Buddy's Song', has nothing to do with Buddy Holly.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: icehaven on March 14, 2022, 01:38:25 PMAlso got one for the Obvious Things...thread; the film the song was from, 'Buddy's Song', has nothing to do with Buddy Holly.

Except for being the film of the sequel of a book about a kid who's dad's obsessed with Buddy Holly.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 11, 2022, 11:50:12 PMMr C out of The Shamen's full name is, quite appropriately, Mr Cunt.

Sniggering imagining this as the interesting fact they showed during videos on The Chart Show.

famethrowa

Black or White by Jacko is a 12-bar blues.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: famethrowa on March 31, 2022, 11:43:47 PMBlack or White by Jacko is a 12-bar blues.

Your hat will never be the same after noticing the similarity to this: https://youtu.be/HA4-4ifhixg?t=45