Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Voyager

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 05, 2020, 01:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

I won't keep posting here because @Lemming 's re-watch will hopefully catch up to VOY soon, but I just watched Pathfinder, which was pretty good, and my favourite dialogue was from this scene set in astrometrics (aka "the ass lab"):

Barclay: This is Starfleet Command. *fuzz, crackle, glitch* Come in, Voyager.
7 of 9: Who is this? Uncle Leo?
Admiral Paris: Don't Uncle Leo me, y'little bollocks, I'm a bishop.

Pretty sure that's how it went.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 18, 2022, 08:29:54 PMI won't keep posting here because @Lemming 's re-watch will hopefully catch up to VOY soon, but I just watched Pathfinder, which was pretty good, and my favourite dialogue was from this scene set in astrometrics (aka "the ass lab"):

Barclay: This is Starfleet Command. *fuzz, crackle, glitch* Come in, Voyager.
7 of 9: Who is this? Uncle Leo?
Admiral Paris: Don't Uncle Leo me, y'little bollocks, I'm a bishop.

Pretty sure that's how it went.

I've been watching random VOY episodes the past few weeks and I have seen Pathfinder at least 20 times I reckon but still watched it again, really good episode.

I've reached a point in Trek now where I don't think I could ever do a full rewatch of any series. I've just seen them so many times. It's rare that I watch an episode and think "I don't remember much about this".

Never rewatched a DSC, Picard or SNW episode but have watched a few Prodigy & Lower Decks episodes more than once and will continue to do so.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 18, 2022, 08:53:49 PMI've been watching random VOY episodes the past few weeks and I have seen Pathfinder at least 20 times I reckon but still watched it again, really good episode.

I don't mind admitting this to you Malcy: I got a lump in my throat when Janeway said "keep a docking bay open for us" just as the signal begins to fade.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 18, 2022, 09:06:29 PMI don't mind admitting this to you Malcy: I got a lump in my throat when Janeway said "keep a docking bay open for us" just as the signal begins to fade.

I still do too. The moments of hope they had any time contact with Earth was made was always very well played. Although I do find "70,000 lights years, feels a lot closer today" or whatever it was from 'Message In A Bottle' a little cringey.

Lemming

Quote from: Mobbd on December 18, 2022, 08:29:54 PMI won't keep posting here because @Lemming 's re-watch will hopefully catch up to VOY soon
I hope so! I'm an unashamed VOYAGER SUPERFAN though so the thread will probably consist of me giving shit like "Emanations" 8/10 while everyone else goes for 4/10.

Speaking of funny astrometrics dialogue and the messages-from-home subplot, this line from "Hunters" when they first start getting messages from the Alpha Quadrant always takes me out:
QuoteTORRES: It's a letter for you. It's coming through right now.
PARIS: For me?
TORRES: It's right here.
PARIS: Who's it from?
TORRES: I can't tell yet.
PARIS: Maybe it's from the rehab colony telling me I've violated probation.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 18, 2022, 09:06:29 PMI don't mind admitting this to you Malcy: I got a lump in my throat when Janeway said "keep a docking bay open for us" just as the signal begins to fade.

Mulgrew plays it so well the way she sticks her head out a bit and speaks up a bit as if it will help them hear it when she knows the connection is about to end. Great stuff.

Malcy

Quote from: Lemming on December 18, 2022, 09:16:46 PMI hope so! I'm an unashamed VOYAGER SUPERFAN though so the thread will probably consist of me giving shit like "Emanations" 8/10 while everyone else goes for 4/10.

Speaking of funny astrometrics dialogue and the messages-from-home subplot, this line from "Hunters" when they first start getting messages from the Alpha Quadrant always takes me out:

I watched that one the other day too. It's a great line. Also love Neelix delivering Tuvok's letter.

Posted the DS9 one in that thread so might as well post this one as i'm going through all the ones on the channel.

daf

Already prepared the Voyager Ratings in anticipation of Lemming's re-watch (wasn't much choice - I think there were only 10 reccurring characters!) :

Spoiler alert
1/10

- - - - -
2/10

- - - - -
3/10

- - - - -
4/10

- - - - -
5/10

- - - - -
6/10

- - - - -
7/10

- - - - -
8/10

- - - - -
9/10

- - - - -
10/10
[close]

Lemming

Perfect! Especially the NEELIX OF SHAME.

Wonderful Butternut

Tuvok should be 10.

Although the problem with Voyager ratings is that most of the characters get significantly better over the run of the show. (Except Chakotay, who peaks in Season 1.) Season 5 or 6 Neelix is considerably less annoying than season 1 Neelix, for example. So the order might change from season to season.

Malcy

Plus, poor Chakotay has had it hard recently.

Spoiler alert
Looks like he's been stranded in the Delta Quadrant. AGAIN. And in the past to add further insult to injury!
[close]

Mobbd

QuoteTORRES: It's a letter for you. It's coming through right now.
PARIS: For me?
TORRES: It's right here.
PARIS: Who's it from?
TORRES: I can't tell yet.
PARIS: Maybe it's from the rehab colony telling me I've violated probation.

That's SO much like something from Red Dwarf. The Norweb conversation maybe. Or Outland Revenue.

TORRES: Tom, your father is Dad. Well, of course he is!

Mobbd

Quote from: daf on December 18, 2022, 09:25:37 PMAlready prepared the Voyager Ratings in anticipation of Lemming's re-watch (wasn't much choice - I think there were only 10 reccurring characters!) :

Spoiler alert
1/10

- - - - -
2/10

- - - - -
3/10

- - - - -
4/10

- - - - -
5/10

- - - - -
6/10

- - - - -
7/10

- - - - -
8/10

- - - - -
9/10

- - - - -
10/10
[close]

Incredible work.

Just replace the image of Mr Neelix with Barclay's cat and we are in agreement.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 18, 2022, 09:59:10 PMThat's SO much like something from Red Dwarf. The Norweb conversation maybe. Or Outland Revenue.

TORRES: Tom, your father is Dad. Well, of course he is!

When i watched it  last I thought it odd that she didn't know his dad was Admiral Paris. They were in a relationship at this point and quite friendly before hand. Did he just lie if ever asked "What do your parents do". Also I don't ever remember his mother being mentioned. AT ALL.

Chollis

Just want to say I'm very much looking forward to @Lemming 's re-watch as I've recently started on this for the first time. Harry Kim is definitely worse than Neelix so far.

Laughing at Paris knowing the make/model/year of a 1937 Ford truck they find but later in the episode being all "Captain, he appears to have some sort of weapon!" when someone has a pistol on them. Guns whitewashed from human history I guess.

Mobbd

Quote from: Chollis on December 20, 2022, 02:06:00 PMLaughing at Paris knowing the make/model/year of a 1937 Ford truck they find but later in the episode being all "Captain, he appears to have some sort of weapon!" when someone has a pistol on them. Guns whitewashed from human history I guess.

The only thing Paris regrets is gone boneitis.

Mobbd

I have finished my full-Trek re-watch! Well, sort-of. We were going to include ENT but we struggled even with Broken Bow so I don't think we're going to do it after all. The Greatest Generation Star Trek Podcast is something we love and they should be moving onto ENT next year or so, so we might join in at that point.

ANYWAY, what I wanted to say about VOY (without getting into to much detail ahead of @Lemming 's re-watch) is that:

1. It is solidly and perhaps unarguably the fourth-best Trek. Nowt wrong with that.
2. It has the best pilot episode and seventh season of all Trek.

Season 7 really was surprisingly enjoyable. The cast are having fun and even the bad episodes are imaginative and have have *something* going on. Great stuff. Looking forward to future CaB commentary on it!

Let us celebrate with the Franklin Mint:

And my personal favourite:

Blumf

Lemming

Quote from: Mobbd on February 11, 2023, 04:22:06 PM
Absolutely breathtaking piece of graphic design. Every extra second spent looking at it reveals an astonishing new detail. Sublime.

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on February 11, 2023, 11:50:19 PMAbsolutely breathtaking piece of graphic design. Every extra second spent looking at it reveals an astonishing new detail. Sublime.

It's so insane. The car's proximity to the intestines is my favourite but there's so much to choose from.

It might be the best art ever created by a human.

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

That's probably the most i will ever laugh at a plate

Mobbd

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 12, 2023, 03:03:55 PMThat's probably the most i will ever laugh at a plate

Let's get it reissued (strictly limited numbers, of course, just a few thousand) and we'll put your quote on the box like a book blurb.

Mobbd

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 12, 2023, 03:03:55 PMThat's probably the most i will ever laugh at a plate

Not that you have to choose one over the other but

PlanktonSideburns

More terrifying than hilarious for me that sketch. Mint tho

PlanktonSideburns