Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

So much funk

The Mohawks - Rocky Mountain Roundabout

It always amuses me that some of the funkiest music ever made, beloved by hip-hop producers, were made by some probably 30-something, probably middle class, white guys from places like Leeds.

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 21, 2022, 10:58:05 PMJust spent the last hour totally down an Opus III/Kirsty Hawkshaw/Alan Hawkshaw/Ed Barton/Orbital rabbit hole. Brilliant

Kirsty was engaged to Mark Pritchard from Global Communication (or more pertinent to this thread Shaft) at one point.

monkfromhavana

Everything from this point on in music invariably LINKs (ho ho) back to Shaft.

daf

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on January 22, 2022, 02:11:00 PM20 February 1992: Presenters: Mark Fr@nklin & Tony DOrtie

Smooth, soulful grooves provide the dominant notes in a relaxed evening's opener that provides as good a snapshot as any of the 1992's mellow side -and it doesn't get much more relaxed or mellow than arch funksters Brand New Heavies. Was it just me and Mrs Canes who noticed that N'Dea's faux-frayed trousers were looking a little too distressed in a pivotal area? Needle and thread for Miss Davenport!

Après BNH the meta-telly transports us to the gantry, where Mark just has time to diss Tony's headwear before we see the Daily Mail's campaign to restore the full chart rundown finally bearing fruit. But woah, hang on, let's check the rules here. They seem to be showing only those new entries outside the top 10 that aren't going to be played in some capacity on the show. No, wait... they show Everything But The Girl, who are up later. Look, all we want is some consistency! It also appears that the person whose job it is to press the button that moves each caption on isn't concentrating, so Zero B get approximately 1/10th the screen time of Tears For Fears. Shoddy. Try harder, guys.

Pyrotechnics can't save a tepid turn from Rozalla and things get even more lacklustre when Julia Fordham takes the stage. Saw her described elsewhere as "the most middle class-looking artist ever", not going to argue with that.

I see the 'Thought I'd Died...' vid is a Kevin Godley gig. Sorry Kev, got to be doing better. I mean it's a nice idea, the juxtaposition of the dolphins and the wheat field, yeah, get that, but what the f*** are those things that jump out en masse in the next FX shot? Mrs Canes reckons angels but to me they look like terrifying field-pouncing scarecrows. Brrr! Perhaps the whole thing is in fact supposed to be some kind of folk horror flick pastiche. Your guess is as good as mine. Just relieved they cut it short this time.

Anyway

There's only one star of tonight's episode as Kirsty literally takes the show by the balls. The fact she gets to perform centre stage while not flanked by anonymous synth blokes ('cos contractual shit) makes all the difference. Absolutely love that most of the front row is throwing crazy shapes. There's no further need to explain why this is all so brilliant so let's instead link to this fantastic excerpt of Kirsty totally owning smart-arse interviewer Jonathan Ross through her sheer charm and nonchalant disposition.

Shanice! Get off those dancers! Good job she doesn't have N'Dea Davenport's tailor.

So finally then, despite their wayward path to the top, Shakespears Sister are here to Stay. Have to admit I wasn't completely sold on this back in the day. It was good, but it didn't seem like it had much to offer once it had blown its one big trick. And though that trick does provide a fantastic Moment it's not just a gimmick, it also reflects on the song's lyrical themes of conflict and control. Who's facing off here, though? The narrator and her lover? The narrator and her conscience? Marcy and Siobhan? And who's winning, who's holding who captive? Sting must have thought he'd cornered the market in stalkery songs when he wrote Every Breath You Take, but "When your pride is on the floor/I'll make you beg for more"? This is on a scary different level. Fortunately the whole thing is so encrusted with sequins and glitter and kohl and resplendent with bloopy synths and crunching industrial rhythms that we can revel in its sheer pantomime without having to circle its dark side. Siobhan says they liked to write songs about women who were powerful and glamorous, yet demonic. Marcy says it's all about Earthlings and Catwomen. Maybe no-one really knows. What I am sure of though is that where I once thought this was no more than a glimmer in the panoply of stellar number one singles, on reflection it's one of the most dazzling ever chart-toppers.

Next: Rave shoots itself in the foot, and the 80's comeback is on!

daf

27 February 1992: Presenters: Claudia SimOn & Adrian ROse

(15) | INSPIRAL CARPETS – Dragging Me Down
(19) | ALISON LIMERICK – Make It On My Own
(10) | MADNESS – It Must Be Love (video)
(20) | EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL – Love Is Strange
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) | D.J. SEDUCTION – Hardcore Heaven/You And Me (video)
(24) | GARY MOORE – Cold Day In Hell (video)
(23) | CROWDED HOUSE – Weather With You (video)
(17) | TEARS FOR FEARS – Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down) (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(18) | NEW ATLANTIC – I Know
NEW | U2 – One (via satellite)
(01) | SHAKESPEARS SISTER – Stay (video)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spoiler alert

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on January 23, 2022, 09:30:00 AM27 February 1992: Presenters: Claudia SimOn & Adrian ROse

It's a first formal 'fuck off' to Adrian Rose tonight - up to this point his shows have been pretty low-quality artist-wise but now he's kept the Inspirals' 'Dragging Me Down' off the telly, and it's another brilliantly staged turn too, violet spotlights cutting through an indigo backdrop before hitting swathes of dry ice, and pyrotechincs, and more pyrotechnics, and best of all it's fantastic to see an indie band where the lead guitarist isn't dicking around. It's a great song too, proper gritty, love it. Earworm of the last 48 hours is already "tran-sis-tor ra-di-o re-ciev-ers".

So do they get the New Entries caption thing right this time? Hang on let's check... six of them from the lower reaches of the top 40, unseen in any capcity on this show... no wait, DJ Seduction is one of the Breakers... this is so frustrating, they might as well be jabbing pins into the chart. And would it hurt them to actually put the song titles up?

Anyone else watch 'It Must Be Love' and think "Er... maybe the 80's actually were better..?"

No. No no, me neither. Move along.

Everything But The Girl like a waft of warm air there. Zephyr-rock. And ouch, this New Atlantic thing is painful. When rave goes wrong, big time. Some rave acts have looked better than others, some of the vocalists have delivered and some haven't; this is the first time the whole package has been a wreck. 

U2, then. What a let-down. For all the radical new direction Achtung Baby took, they couldn't resist sticking an old-school lighters-aloft anthem between the rattle and funk of 'Mysterious Ways' and the motorik elan of 'Even Better...'. Hat choice also poor. It looks like quite a small venue, I thought they played this tour to massive arenas?

Isn't this a first play for the Stay video? Iconic promo of course, slightly let down by the fact that Marcy gets they guy, whereas it should've ended with Siobhan sticking her cold hard claws right through his heart. 

Rosewatch:

Still leering at us with his lettuce face and tea-strainer eyes and... oh wait that Alison Limerick Blackadder fact is lovely, oh Adrian, you sly dog you, slipping that in, that's slick... don't be fooled by that runt puppy expression, you're not to be underestimated are you. A little glimpse there of the insidious cunning that doubtless helped you seize the throne at Celador.

You're playing us, Adrian. I see you.

daf

5 March 1992: Presenters: Mark Fr@nklin & Femi Oke

(19) | THE CHARLATANS – Weirdo
(52) | MR. BIG – To Be With You (via satellite)
(05) | OPUS III – It's A Fine Day
(09) | THE KLF – America: What Time Is Love? (video)
(11) | CROWDED HOUSE – Weather With You
(03) | SHANICE – I Love Your Smile (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(32) | ERIC CLAPTON – Tears In Heaven (video)
(31) | JOE COCKER – Feels Like Forever (video)
(28) | BARBRA STREISAND – Places That Belong To You (video)
(22) | CURVE – Fait Accompli (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(04) | GUNS N' ROSES – November Rain (video)
(01) | SHAKESPEARS SISTER – Stay

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on January 23, 2022, 05:10:00 PM5 March 1992: Presenters: Mark Fr@nklin & Femi Oke

Hi Femi! She's great, loving Femi. She's Tweeting too! Once at least, anyway.

Kicking off in much the same way as we did last week, then, with a Northern indie band who arguably did their best work in the interval between Madchester and Britpop. In fact Weirdo and last week's Dragging Me Down could both be considered their respective bands' best singles. Fair to say Tim Burgess is possibly just a tiny bit prettier then Tom Hingley though.

Thank you, Mark, for at last explaining the New Entries caption system in an accurate and concise manner. Shame that M People in fact debuted at 37 that week and not 36.

Head on a pole the most interesting thing about Mr. Big. That and the singer looks a bit like the one out of Godley and Creme who isn't the one out of Godley and Creme with the bushy hair and beard.

"Hi, Kirsty! It's Top Of The Pops! Hi! Look, would you mind coming back on the show this week?"
"Yeah! Yeah, no problem! Yeah love to!"
"Cool, we'll book you in..."
"Brilliant! There's just one thing"
"Sure, what?"
"I want five flaming fire bowls"
"Sorry?"
"I want five flaming fire bowls. On stage with me. Five flaming bowls of fire."
"Well... we were just going to put the flowers back up..."
"Fuck the flowers! I don't want the fucking flowers! I want five fucking flaming fire bowls or I don't show up!"
"Er... okay Kirsty look, we'll do our best. You're still going to do the balls thing though?"

Sorry, don't have a punchline.

Anyway

Cressida's tit tape a bit risqué for early evening BBC1, I'd have thought.

More zephyr-rock from Crowded House. They followed The KLF the last time they were on, didn't they. Tim doing well not to corpse after he misses his vocal after the middle eight. Ah they really needed to have had Curve in the studio. What could've been huh. As it is, another three years or so before we finally see Toni.

So nice to have a decent number one. Makes the shows a whole lot more bearable knowing there's something great to look forward to at the end.

non capisco

My interest in the repeats has sagged a bit lately but I'm really enjoying your weekly summaries, Norton.

Norton Canes

Thanks! Soon to be released in my first collected volume

gilbertharding

Bonus It's a Fine Day by Jane - 1982:

I think this video was shot at RAF West Malling, which was also a location for the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour and the Rutles' All You Need is Cash.

Guy Called Gerald feat. Jane - 1992:

A lot less sunny than Opus III

And a not at all creepy interview with Jonathan Ross:

Norton Canes

Yeah linked to that above, he's a dickhead. Even more unpleasant to Dannii Minogue:

gilbertharding

Was that the Channel 4 weekday dinner time show he used to have?

I mean - I quite liked him at the time. I've quite liked him at other times, too. Perhaps he's better when he's NOT desperately trying to suppress an erection.

Jockice

I'm ahead of my time in that I've ALWAYS thought Jonathan Ross was a wanker. Even when my mates were raving about him when he first became famous. He should just sod off back to 1986, where he belongs.

Surprised to see that short clip of Bill and Jimmy in Japan at the end of the Opus III performance.  Hadn't they already 'retired' at that point (after the Brits 92 performance in February)?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 23, 2022, 10:58:06 AMU2, then. What a let-down. For all the radical new direction Achtung Baby took, they couldn't resist sticking an old-school lighters-aloft anthem between the rattle and funk of 'Mysterious Ways' and the motorik elan of 'Even Better...'. Hat choice also poor. It looks like quite a small venue, I thought they played this tour to massive arenas?

Watched this again a couple of times having initially given it such short shrift. Not because I appear to have recently developed an obsession with all things Achtung Baby - it just seemed rude to be so dismissive when the band had clearly put a lot of effort into making it look like they hadn't put a lot of effort in. The whole thing's uncomfortably like when you go to someone's for a dinner party and though they're all "Gosh no, it's always this messy" it's obvious they've been dusting the valance and plumping the cushions. It's all a bit too studied - you can just imagine the Bono going "Yeah, it's good, but... what it really needs is a couple of bemused roadies watching from trap door...". Also, turns out the Lakeland Civic Center was quite small (the attendance that night, the first date of the Zoo TV Tour, was 7,251) which explains why the whole thing has the air of a school assembly.

According to its Wiki 'One' is regarded by U2 cognoscenti as one of the band's most essential songs, which is a surprise as I've always thought it was a bit of a filler. The maudlin lyrics just about past muster until we get to the excruciating "Have you come here to play Jesus/To the lepers in your head?" which must have elicited a particularly smug expression of delight from Bono when he first scrawled it in his Rolodex. Not sure if he's trying to evoke the Guardian Anglers with that red beret but coupled with the tunic it's giving me strong Captain Scarlet vibes.

Three songs (ostensibly) about burdensome partners on the 27/02 show, BTW - this, Dragging Me Down and Stay. Post-Valentine blues?

Norton Canes

I'm going to leave 'Guardian Anglers' in

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 26, 2022, 06:36:51 PMNot sure if he's trying to evoke the Guardian Anglers with that red beret but coupled with the tunic it's giving me strong Captain Sensible vibes.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 25, 2022, 04:35:04 PMSurprised to see that short clip of Bill and Jimmy in Japan at the end of the Opus III performance.  Hadn't they already 'retired' at that point (after the Brits 92 performance in February)?

From this week's TV Cream mailout:

"Incidentally, the reason The KLF were in Japan was because they'd actually flown there just so they could film a bit for Top of the Pops to say they couldn't do the show because they were in Japan"

Norton Canes

Watch out for some Yewtree pruning on tonight's second show!

monkfromhavana

God, The Wedding Present are a bit dreary, aren't they?

monkfromhavana

Tony Dortie on Nirvana

"They look like they could do with a wash"

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 28, 2022, 08:13:02 PMTony Dortie on Nirvana

"They look like they could do with a wash"

What a fucking jelly.

monkfromhavana

daf

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 28, 2022, 08:06:05 PMGod, The Wedding Present are a bit dreary, aren't they?

He looked like a boring Gary Numan.

Icehaven

Is this around the time when Sting and Annie Lennox and Phil Collins used to win all the Brits?

monkfromhavana

Obviously all the E around has wiped out every artists serotonin reserves.

Icehaven

"Tinfoil dresses"?! Fuck's he even on about?