Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nick Cave's Best Song

Started by Rev+, April 08, 2021, 02:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm going to nominate another that is in with a shout: Straight to You.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 02, 2022, 10:47:18 PMThat might be mine, as well. Surprised to see it here!

Murder Ballads as an album is very, very easy to over-listen.  I haven't even listened to it that much and it's so overfamiliar that I don't tend to pick it out any more.

My pick might just be From Her to Eternity you know

Controversial - I think Let Love In is overall quite a weak record, despite Do You Love Me and Loverman

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 12, 2022, 07:03:22 AMMurder Ballads as an album is very, very easy to over-listen.  I haven't even listened to it that much and it's so overfamiliar that I don't tend to pick it out any more.

There's nothing quite like the opening couplet of The Kindness Of Strangers to put a smile on your face.
Curse of Millhaven was ace when they played it - roadie stood there with a stack of cue cards for Nick to blaze through the countless verses.
Great album!

the science eel

That solo-at-the-piano thing that the BBC showed recently was one serious fucking bore, tho'.

Catalogue of ills

Oh, I'm the first one to say Your Funeral, My Trial. The gloomiest, most beautiful song I can think of. I do like the organ ones.

JohnnyCouncil

New movie which i'm sure i'm enjoy, bit much though. Grinderman III would make me happier.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on January 14, 2022, 10:03:24 PMNew movie which i'm sure i'm enjoy, bit much though. Grinderman III would make me happier.

I don't know how you could improve on Grinderman II, you know.  Not a weak moment on it.

kalowski

Quote from: the science eel on January 12, 2022, 11:53:39 AMThat solo-at-the-piano thing that the BBC showed recently was one serious fucking bore, tho'.
I'm going to disagree with this, I really enjoyed it.
I've been digging No More Shall We Part a lot recently. It's a great album.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on January 16, 2022, 09:30:09 PMI'm going to disagree with this, I really enjoyed it.
Quoting myself because God Is In The House is magnificent. So passive aggressive!

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on January 16, 2022, 09:30:09 PMI'm going to disagree with this, I really enjoyed it.

Taught myself piano with this record, holds a very special place in my memory. I'm an absolute hack but I can still play most of this record.

Rev+

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 13, 2022, 09:27:18 PMOh, I'm the first one to say Your Funeral, My Trial. The gloomiest, most beautiful song I can think of. I do like the organ ones.

That is definitely right up there, but to season this bucket a little, I've got to say that any live version is much better than the album one.  I find the first few Bad Seeds albums weirdly flat, although the songs absolutely work and soar when (they used to be) performed.  'The Mercy Seat' was called grating earlier and it absolutely is, on record it's just a germ of an idea stretched out to a slog.  Live, it just works.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 15, 2022, 09:17:02 PMI don't know how you could improve on Grinderman II, you know.  Not a weak moment on it.

I'd agree, but there's a freedom that they could be absolutely anything under the Grinderman name that you don't really get with the slow evolution of the bad seeds.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on January 19, 2022, 01:45:23 PMI'd agree, but there's a freedom that they could be absolutely anything under the Grinderman name that you don't really get with the slow evolution of the bad seeds.

Yeah, they could do a weird leftfield swerve into electronica or do an all ballads album and I'd be like 'yeah, cool'

JohnnyCouncil

On a sort of similar subject, i'd put The Death of Bunny Monroe up there with his creative best. Sad that it never got the TV series it deserved.

kalowski

Quote from: the science eel on January 03, 2022, 10:44:33 AMNobody's mentioned 'Into My Arms'! Bravo CaB.

It might be a bit "cool" but to be honest I do think The Boatman's Call is pretty fucking magnificent.