Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can Official Live Releases

Started by greenman, July 19, 2021, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Only found out about these a couple of days ago, supposedly a series of releases with a show from Stuttgart in 75 the first out a few weeks ago.

Listening to it now and its definitely worth picking up, think its fan recorded but sounds very nice indeed. Maybe the most interesting era for live can for me as well as we pretty much have it already for the earlier albums edited down from studio performances were as this very different from most of landed, 3rd track does seem partly based on Vernal Equinox but mostly improvisations with bits of various tracks rising up.

holyzombiejesus

Mentioned this back in April although haven't bothered getting the record yet.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,86176.msg4511318.html#msg4511318

TBH, I'm not sure if I particularly like Can. I know it's probably heresy on here (and most other places where 'serious' music is discussed) but whilst I think they're ok, I never hanker after putting an album on. For so long I just kind of accepted that I really liked them and then recently I realised I'm really not arsed.

DrGreggles

sevendaughters

on Zwei there's the track that The Fall pilfered for I Am Damo Suzuki. I know it crops up in Can a few times but this really sounds like it with the beat. Imagine MES saw them around then.

Like all their post-Damo work, Stuttgart 75 is hit and miss. Gets a bit music clinic at times.

PlanktonSideburns

Neville Chamberlain

Can 75 is bloody amazing. Apparently it was recorded by a traveling English businessman who smuggled recording equipment into gigs using his massive coat.

greenman

For a 70's audience recording it does sound really good, better sense of space than a lot of live albums without getting echoy/tinny.

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 19, 2021, 11:37:19 AM
on Zwei there's the track that The Fall pilfered for I Am Damo Suzuki. I know it crops up in Can a few times but this really sounds like it with the beat. Imagine MES saw them around then.

Like all their post-Damo work, Stuttgart 75 is hit and miss. Gets a bit music clinic at times.

Really though I think from Landed onwards they were trying to make much tighter studio albums and it was more a question of whether the song was anygood or not, this feels more like the kind of performance I imagine Babaluma being mixed down from.

It would be interesting to hear a show from the Rosko Gee era, those performances from German TV in 77 of Dizzy Dizzy and One More Night/Moonshake seemed like they made use of him and Czukay on gubbins much better than the studio albums of the era.

chveik

listened to it a bit but i'm afraid i'm not interested in '75 Can.

Pauline Walnuts

Some absolute mad mans put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ayVlwmr0n4

I did think about going to see Damo Suzuki the last time he toured, but I hesitated until the revealed who the backing band would be, I was hoping it was going to be someone interesting, like say Virginia Wing, not someone who'd just bang out generic Krautrock backing #3 all night.

It was the last line up of The Fall.

Didn't go. Obv.

greenman

Speaking of Damo era Can came across the latest show with him I'v heard on youtube from Edinburgh in august 73.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmN7qzizp7o

Does I think make for quite a different listen from other 73 shows like Paris I'v heard which are much more Ege Bamyasi like were as this sounds more like Future Days, bit more airy with more keyboards.