Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So I heard you like Broadcast

Started by Kankurette, July 23, 2021, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Because someone mentioned them in the IDLES thread and I was listening to Tender Buttons earlier and I love it. Trish had such a warm, soothing voice. It sounds like music made by slightly malfunctioning computers.

I would have to get into them after they split up though. :( At least, I assume they did after Trish died? I know they put out a posthumous album.

The Mollusk

Honestly one of the best bands I've ever heard. Musical perfection. I adore the fact that they were not just quite good at writing music that sounds like what futurist music from the 1960s would have sounded like, but they absolutely nailed it on every single song they ever released. It's music that actually sounds like magic, enchanting, mysterious, bursting with colour. I'm frequently baffled by just how fucking good they sound.

The only band that's ever come close to being as good as them is Vanishing Twin (who have former Broadcast sound manipulator Phil MFU among their ranks).

Dirty Boy

One of those bands that eschews filler. There's nothing they recorded that isn't at the very least excellent.

Get everything now.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 23, 2021, 10:38:12 PM
The only band that's ever come close to being as good as them is Vanishing Twin (who have former Broadcast sound manipulator Phil MFU among their ranks).

Phil MFU, eh? Met him once at a charity do. He was surprisingly down to earth and very funny an absolute prick.

The Mollusk

Brundle-Fly

With the risk of getting my knuckles rapped with a Theremin rod by Barry for necrolinking, here's a pretty comprehensive old Cab thread about the great Broadcast.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,50243.0.html

sardines

Not sure if I got it from the other thread mentioned above but there is an amazing live recording from Dublab of a show in LA. Been on permanent rotation here for the past year or so.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 23, 2021, 10:38:12 PM

I'd personally put the Children of Alice album as the best post-Broadcast material but yeah i guess Vanishing Twin more carry the band spirit.

Kankurette

Thanks for links. Black Cat is the song that got me interested in them - I heard it at the end of a video of cats being dicks and thought it sounded cool. I knew of them but had never actually heard their stuff.

Work and Non-Work is like Sleater-Kinney's first two albums, in that they need a bit of polishing, but you can tell they've got potential to be something great once they've found their feet.

ETA: Tender Buttons is still my favourite so far. I was less taken with The Ha Ha Sound but one thing I do love is the drumming (especially on Distorsion and Man is Not a Bird). It's quite jazzy in places.

sevendaughters

I saw them not long after the Ha Ha Sound and they spun a couple of the tunes out for longer so the drummer could just take off (in the musical sense, not in the 'me van's on a double yellow' sense) and watching James and Trish just smile as this leviathan drummed his way through musical history from Birmingham to Dusseldorf and back was incredible.

lazyhour

McChesney Duntz

The Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack, wasn't it?

badaids

The posthumous album people are referring to might be Broadcast and Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age. It's brilliant.

Broadcast are probably my favorite group ever and the other thread linked me up with all kinds of groups that are aiming for what Broadcast were. None of them get there, but I'm very glad they tried.  Here are a few that I particularly like:

Vanishing Twin (already mentioned above).
Anika. New album came out on 23 July.
Exploded View (Anika side project).
The Soundcarriers.
The United States Of America. Although their album is from 1968? and I'd the blueprint for much of Broadcast's work.

I think my favorite record is The Noise Made by People. It is at least the one that I've listened to the most. I love all their stuff but prefer the earlier classic group line-up than the later rawer electronic stuff as a duo. The outtakes record Future Crayon is brilliant too - mad that so much amazing stuff didn't make it onto their albums.

Anyway welcome in Kankurette and you are right the drums are amazing.

Edit: Witch Cults might not be posthumous.

McChesney Duntz

Yeah, Witch Cults came out two years before Trish passed on.

Quote from: badaids on July 25, 2021, 05:42:30 PM
The posthumous album people are referring to might be Broadcast and Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age. It's brilliant.

Came out in 2009, Trish died 2011.

The Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack came out posthumously but the actual final Broadcast LP was still being recorded. James always said he would finish the material he had worked on with Trish and put it out at some stage, but given it's been ten and half years I feel he may just let it lie now. I don't think anyone could blame him if he did.

In terms of recommendations, there isn't a lot that's really obscure but I would suggest the live set from ATP in 2001, which is absolutely extraordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObxdPBv5FY

The other release that may be overlooked was Mother Is The Milky Way, a mini-album only sold on tour but is very much a continuation of the Focus Group collab, very sample heavy in a playful sort of way(you'd never have expected a Broadcast track to sample Bloodnok's Stomach)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cPJRRIESfc&list=PLDKWddArCgHC4AU3aMa8wtx-XWPYpjouG

Kankurette

I'm listening to the Focus Group collab and some of you are going to kill me for this, but it reminds me of early Space, particularly the B-sides from the Spiders era, and there's also one called I Am Unlike a Lifeform You've Ever Met that has Franny doing lead vocals and has a similar vibe.

Tommy is a big fan of Broadcast, incidentally. I remember him raving about them in some early '00s interviews.

Epic Bisto

I was late to the Broadcast party and still kicking myself for not checking them out earlier.  Love them to bits.  Just like Kankurette, it was down to hearing "Black Cat" and I was hooked.  The perfect blend of folk and electronic influences.

turnstyle

Despite being vaguely aware of Broadcast back in the day, I hadn't ever listened to them. For some reason I assumed they were a post punk shouty man band (don't ask me why, I am easily confused).

Anyway, spurred on my this thread, I checked em out yesterday and they are GLORIOUS.

Good lord. I've only heard the stuff I can get on streaming so far, which isn't much (do Warp not do streaming services?), but I am in love. Favourite track so far is Message from Home but there hasn't been a bad one in the (so far limited) bunch I've listened to.

Need to check out the albums, my streaming service only has a few singles/EPs and Work and Non Work.

Pauline Walnuts

I saw 'em live a couple of times back in the mid 90s.

They were alright. I always preferred Novak as my Pram support act to be honest.

[/Hipster]

Johnboy

Chollis

also checked these out on the recommendation of the other thread and fuckin love them now

this live version of Lights Out at 37 mins has been haunting me for days

https://youtu.be/4LicRs6WXVo?t=2237

badaids

I wanted to bump this thread and mention the band Amp, who've I've got back into in the last 2 weeks. 

They've been around for 25 years now but they are one part Broadcast, one part Cocteau Twins and one part Enya.  All those influences wax and wane with each of their records, but they are a very interesting and inventive noise folk group.

Midas

well
   well
      well
Microtronics and Mother Is The Milky Way are each getting an imminent re-release, and there's
                              a
                                new
                                   old
                                      collection of "Maida Vale Sessions" coming soon.

nice!

The demo for Distant Call feels truly otherworldly and out of time, like discovering a lost Vashti Bunyan or Bridget St John recording. A whole album of stuff like this would've been a dream, really.

Johnboy

I´ve been re listening to the warp 30 mix they did

love listening to a mysterious mix like that - no idea what anything is or what's coming up, just like the old days

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Midas on January 24, 2022, 09:34:47 PMwell
   well
      well
Microtronics and Mother Is The Milky Way are each getting an imminent re-release, and there's
                              a
                                new
                                   old
                                      collection of "Maida Vale Sessions" coming soon.

nice!

Link?

Midas

Head Gardener

I saw them only twice but this was a particularly good evening

lazyhour

Info on the LP reissues. Microtonics 1&2 across two sides of a single LP is a really nice idea.

https://ra.co/news/76710

itsfredtitmus

Colour Me In is instant tears. Wish I never discovered that song! don't want to evoke hauntology but there's just something so fucking ghostly in that song

Midas

**********************************************************************************************************
****Wax*is*looking*very*nice*indeed****************************************************************
**********************************************************************************************************
Always had a soft spot for both volumes of Microtronics so I'm looking forward to hearing
h  i  g  h
                     f    i    d    e    l    i    t    y
                                                                    recordings rather than my rubbish old MP3s

Now I need someone to re-release this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> !

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////