Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So I heard you like Broadcast

Started by Kankurette, July 23, 2021, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Midas on January 25, 2022, 06:28:08 PMNow I need someone to re-release this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> !

Also this:

The last thing they released - who knows where they'd have gone next.  As someone said on the other thread, Why her?

Midas

Quote from: Johnboy on January 24, 2022, 10:24:50 PMI´ve been re listening to the warp 30 mix they did

love listening to a mysterious mix like that - no idea what anything is or what's coming up, just like the old days

Aye, it's a great mix. I believe it was assembled by Toys & Techniques, whom Trish 'n James were huge fans of. There's quite a few more mixes on their old blog which are definitely worth checking out if you like the one made for Broadcast.

There are some old mixes made by Broadcast themselves archived here too, which are worth listening to if you haven't already.

Midas

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 25, 2022, 05:51:21 PMColour Me In is instant tears. Wish I never discovered that song! don't want to evoke hauntology but there's just something so fucking ghostly in that song

Have you heard the demo?

More tears.

More, more!

itsfredtitmus

dont make it more intimate

you made it more intimate

Norton Canes

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on January 25, 2022, 06:50:45 PMThe last thing they released - who knows where they'd have gone next

Obligatory link to Dulcimer Jam

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 25, 2022, 07:40:17 PMObligatory link to Dulcimer Jam

Beautiful.

This thread's sent me back into one of my 'listening to nothing but Broadcast for the next few days' phases.

wrec

Long overdue checking them out properly, so I will. I have the Berberian LP but that's all I've heard.

Johnboy

Quote from: Midas on January 25, 2022, 06:51:25 PMAye, it's a great mix. I believe it was assembled by Toys & Techniques, whom Trish 'n James were huge fans of. There's quite a few more mixes on their old blog which are definitely worth checking out if you like the one made for Broadcast.

There are some old mixes made by Broadcast themselves archived here too, which are worth listening to if you haven't already.

lovely stuff, thanks!

Got a notification the reissues are shipping today. I've only ordered the Maida Vale Sessions so far, wish I'd splashed out on one of the others as well now.

Dirty Boy

I don't know Microtonics or Mother Is The Milky Way at all, so hurrah for new (to me) Broadcast!

Custard

The Maida Vale Sessions album is sublime. Really enjoyed it

I also have a copy of Mother Is The Milky Way, but not got round to that yet

"New" Broadcast! Yes!

Custard

Quote from: wrec on January 25, 2022, 10:39:52 PMLong overdue checking them out properly, so I will. I have the Berberian LP but that's all I've heard.

Not sure if you use Spotify, but I recently made a "best of" Broadcast playlist if you have a spare hour or so
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2KBXSgQelgRus7m79QREyu?si=pSZzrXWtSRGZvli9ep2xYw&utm_source=copy-link

wrec

Quote from: Custard on March 19, 2022, 04:27:17 PMNot sure if you use Spotify, but I recently made a "best of" Broadcast playlist if you have a spare hour or so
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2KBXSgQelgRus7m79QREyu?si=pSZzrXWtSRGZvli9ep2xYw&utm_source=copy-link

Cheers, funnily enough I've never really used Spotify but the recent controversy led me to try out Tidal so I've been listening to the albums and EPs on that.

They have influences I find off-putting on paper, that can be good in themselves but are tarnished for me by being lazily employed by others  - Radiophonic Workshop, library music, Neu!, folk horror, hauntology, occult malarkey. But while they wear these on their sleeve they tend to use them as elements to build on or combine in thoughtful ways rather than merely imitate.

Of the new reissues, really impressed by the occult folk meets Faust Tapes vibes of Mother is the Milky Way. Microtonics is a little more obvious on first listen but enjoyable (heartily recommend checking out Bernard Parmegiani's film / radio / ad stuff if you like this sort of thing https://bernardparmegiani.bandcamp.com/music). Will give Maida Vale a go tonight.

Custard

Ended up ordering Microtronics on CD also

It's like a sweet dream (or nightmare) inside the mind of a glitching Mario World character

It's great

Mr_Simnock

Broadcast are simply outstanding, brilliant, the world is a far better place thanks to their output.

Midas

Peter Strickland's Nigel Kneale's The Stone Tape radio play back on iPlayer.

"Music and electronics: James Cargill"

holyzombiejesus

Just read that Robert Cooksey from fellow Brummies The Sea Urchins recorded an album with Broadcast in 2006 and it's going to be released in the new year. Not sure what else to say really, feel equally shocked and excited.

Norton Canes

Haha Sound is 20 years old today.

lazyhour

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 24, 2023, 07:42:50 PMJust read that Robert Cooksey from fellow Brummies The Sea Urchins recorded an album with Broadcast in 2006 and it's going to be released in the new year. Not sure what else to say really, feel equally shocked and excited.

What?! Cor! Can't find anything about this via a quick Google. What's your source?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lazyhour on August 11, 2023, 10:31:43 PMWhat?! Cor! Can't find anything about this via a quick Google. What's your source?

I think it was on the Sea Urchins' Facebook page, although I can't find any trace of it now. He definitely said it though.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/159096674206613/permalink/6535608293222054/

Kankurette

holyzombiejesus

Dunno if you can read the Facebook link but it seems that a) there are definitely some recordings and b) a release is by no means certain. Can't imagine James wanting some (presumably scrappy) posthumous stuff coming out but these things usually find a way.

holyzombiejesus

The person in charge of the Facebook page has said "Robert asked me to post the information but he found out it was too early to post so he asked me to take the posts down."

badaids

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 25, 2022, 09:47:44 AM

I saw them only twice but this was a particularly good evening

I was at this gig too.

Three of my fave bands ever, plus Mogwai who aren't but were still brilliant that evening.

Mad to think you got four bands on one bill for not many quid in a great venue.

Norton Canes

Just now on broadcast.warp.net

Broadcast present two new albums for 2024

Spell Blanket - Collected Demos 2006-2009

Spell Blanket comprises songs and sketches drawn from Trish's extensive archive of 4-track tapes and MiniDiscs. The recordings lay the groundwork for what would have been Broadcast's fifth album, offering a window into Trish and James' creative process during the post-Tender Buttons period from 2006-2009.

Available May 3rd

Distant Call - Collected Demos 2000-2006

Distant Call, In contrast to Spell Blanket, is a collection of early demos of songs that would subsequently appear as finished productions on the albums Haha Sound, Tender Buttons and The Future Crayon. Distant Call is a closing of the door on Broadcast and will be the last release from the band.

Available September 28th

badaids

Oooooo Thanks for the post, I have pre-ordered them. 

M-CORP

New single 'Follow The Light'. Understandably sparse, but the classic voice and melodic songwriting are still there.

Quote(The 'Distant Call' comp) also includes two songs discovered by James after Trish's passing: "Come Back To Me" and "Please Call To Book" which was her response to Broadcast's 2006 'Let's Write A Song' project, where fans were asked to submit lyrics on a postcard which would then be worked into a finished song.

Both albums also have booklets apparently, hoping for some liner notes or interviews with James, though understandable if he'd rather the work speak for itself.

Norton Canes

None of the tracks on Spell Blanket seem long enough to be the song demo'd live and best known as Dulcimer Jam

gabrielconroy

Hooooly shit, new Broadcast. This is fucking fantastic news.

Best act alongside Autechre on Warp for my money and one of the most distinctive and beautiful bands of all time.