Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal, or as I like to call it, BEST metal

Started by The Mollusk, August 05, 2021, 11:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Never really been big into Death Metal, but I've always been quite taken with Atheist's debut Piece Of Time, probably one of the earliest Tech-Death records, but don't quote me on that.  It was introduced to me at a time when my favourite albums were Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime and Metallica's ...And Justice For All, so I was well up for a little bit of prog in me metal.

I could mention Sepultura, but they were already pulling away from DM by the time of Arise, and I think that it and Chaos AD stand head and shoulders above the rest of their albums.

boki

I'm also one of those perfumed ponces that prefers Death 'n' Roll era Carcass to the nasty grind stuff.

Dirty Boy

I was going to mention Sepultura. I've been going back through the pre-Roots albums and Arise in particular stood out. Not a fan of what i've heard from either Seps or Max's post 90's business though.

The first couple of Entombed  albums would probably be considered osdm, but i've always found To Shoot Straight... to be the most enjoyable. Rip LG Petrov.
QuoteColored Sands
Quote from: The Mollusk on August 05, 2021, 11:29:07 PM
Checked this out today on the recommendation of a friend and was really impressed. It's super progressive and almost post-metal at times but then it cuts back through with fat waves of heavy dissonance. It's very exciting to discover music like this after all these years, you've never truly heard everything and something will always be waiting to blow open your perceived notions of what anything can be.
I don't know this album, but i had a similar reaction to Pleiades' Dust which is brain scrambling when you're in the right frame of mind. As generic as a lot of death metal is, thank god for bands like Gorguts and Meshuggah that push things further, often into the ridiculously complex and extreme.

Any good recent blackened dm along the lines of Black Curse, Hissing or Blood Chalice? Along with hardcore that seems to be my thing at the minute.

Steven88

Origin are well worth a listen if you're into technical DM.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 05, 2021, 10:14:01 PM
I think Gorguts, despite their rubbish name, is a good band to check out if you don't get how genuinely avant-garde death metal can be.
Just playing "Obscura" right now and it's fucking brilliant. Sort of thing I want to buy bigger / better speakers for so I can hear all the stuff that's going on.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 06, 2021, 01:24:12 PM
thank god for bands like Gorguts and Meshuggah that push things further, often into the ridiculously complex and extreme.

Have you heard much Cephalic Carnage? I was listening to their album Misled by Certainty the other day and thought it was fucking excellent. The bass sound in particular is *chef kiss*!

QuoteAny good recent blackened dm along the lines of Black Curse, Hissing or Blood Chalice? Along with hardcore that seems to be my thing at the minute.

Deffo check out In a World Forgotten by Infernal Coil. It's about 35 mins long and deserves to be listened to as one continuous piece, as it works sort of like a painting where you get totally engulfed by the discordant blackened mass of the whole thing. It's so good.

Dirty Boy

Yep, i know that Infernal Coil album and remember enjoying it. I thought Cephalic Carnage were a band on Relapse that sounded like Carcass, but i might be thinking of someone else. Don't know much about Dying Fetus either, but feel free to chuck up some links if you want.

Just seen that Krallice have a new one out...

idunnosomename

Quote from: WhoMe on August 06, 2021, 08:09:41 AM
Would Deicide fall under Death metal? Most of their tracks revolve around satanism. Love some of the riffs they kick out anyway.
Deicide are about as classic death metal as you can get. Solid four with CC, Death and Morbid Angel for the Tampa, Florida scene. I guess Florida is just full of death.

Not really a fan for some reason though. I do get a bit turned off by lyrics that do NOTHING but bang on about Jesus and how fucking awful the wretched nazerene is.

Do like Suffocation and Immolation a lot. The NY bands have a less thrashier and instead gloomier sound than the Florida stuff on the whole.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 07, 2021, 12:10:18 PM
Deicide are about as classic death metal as you can get. Solid four with CC, Death and Morbid Angel for the Tampa, Florida scene. I guess Florida is just full of death.

AND OBITUARY >:(

Cannibal Corpse aren't even from fucking Florida!

idunnosomename

not formed there but they moved there very early on

but obituary probably do count as the florida big four then that enticed them down

kngen

All this talk of Carcass made me think of a band that I absolutely loved *checks notes* nearly 20 years ago (fuck) from the Bay Area called Impaled. They were passed over by a lot of folk as being slavish Carcass worship (and not without reason), but fuck me, they could write riffs.

e.g Impaled - Raise the Stakes.

Christ, there's an album's worth of riffs in there, but they blow them all in five or so minutes, and yet it still works as a great song in its own right.

They kind of lost me with the album that followed, but I might give it another chance now that I've rediscovered them.

idunnosomename

Saw Carcass were touring but they're supporting dual headliners Behemoth and Arch Enemy. what the fuck

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 07, 2021, 10:44:43 PM
Saw Carcass were touring but they're supporting dual headliners Behemoth and Arch Enemy. what the fuck

That's surprising. I suppose they're all more or less equal in terms of success, but you'd think they'd give the headline slot to the OG. Oh well.

At least you might get Michael Amott joining them for a bit again - I was lucky enough to see them with him in 2009.

idunnosomename

Noodle Lizard

There you go. I'd always watch Behemoth (I thought The Satanist was great), but Arch Enemy are incredibly dull to me. I've never really cared for them, but even less so since Alissa White-Gluten [sic] replaced Angela. Unless something miraculous has happened in the last five or six years, they seem to do little other than exist.

The Mollusk

Aside from when we had friends over at the weekend, I've been listening to nowt but death metal for a solid week now and I'm slightly concerned this might be it now for the rest of my life, after so many years of eclectic listening which has only gotten broader and more inclusive, it's suddenly narrowed to an extremely tight set of parameters. I've listened to roughly 20 albums that I'd never heard before in that 7 day period, just fucking hoovering the stuff up. I've honestly never binged any particular type of music like this since... well, since I can remember, ever. Soon as I leave the house at 7:30 it's death metal full volume on the headphones. Right now I'm boiling some potatoes going apeshit to "Surgical Steel". I sorta feel like if all other music suddenly ceased to exist except death metal, I think I'd be okay with that? I've had a fucking incredible week listening to all this!

chveik

i sometimes spend months listening to only one genre of music but the obsession goes away eventually

thugler

Loving gorguts, I'd never heard them before and they're just fantastic. Such an original sound, something almost jazzy about it.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 09, 2021, 07:08:44 PM
Aside from when we had friends over at the weekend, I've been listening to nowt but death metal for a solid week now and I'm slightly concerned this might be it now for the rest of my life, after so many years of eclectic listening which has only gotten broader and more inclusive, it's suddenly narrowed to an extremely tight set of parameters. I've listened to roughly 20 albums that I'd never heard before in that 7 day period, just fucking hoovering the stuff up. I've honestly never binged any particular type of music like this since... well, since I can remember, ever. Soon as I leave the house at 7:30 it's death metal full volume on the headphones. Right now I'm boiling some potatoes going apeshit to "Surgical Steel". I sorta feel like if all other music suddenly ceased to exist except death metal, I think I'd be okay with that? I've had a fucking incredible week listening to all this!
If you're anything like me you'll burn out on it before long and then won't want to hear any of it for a while.

I still haven't heard that Carcass album btw. It's good then? Potato boiling music.

Liking what i'm hearing by Cepahlic Carnage, primarily that it isn't just straight up death metal and also mashes in grind, tech wizardry, mathy jazz stuff and the occasional Bungleoid moment, and they appear to have a sense of humour (which is lucky 'cos their music is ridiculous). I'll have to give some of their older stuff a listen seeing as i didn't know them at all until just now.
Quotethought Cephalic Carnage were a band on Relapse that sounded like Carcass, but i might be thinking of someone else
Not that anyone's arsed, but it was General Surgery.
Quote from: Steven88Origin are well worth a listen if you're into technical DM.
Antithesis is one of the most abrasive things i've heard for a while and they're certainly fucking exhausting aren't they? It's a bit much actually. Clever though. Weasel Walter/Arctopus fans take note.

idunnosomename

Do listen to The Erosion of Sanity too, and also Considered Dead.
I almost think some of Obscura has that "weird for the sake of weird" vibe to it at some points. I'm glad it exists, but I don't listen to it too often. but then a lot of great albums/pieces I only listen to occasionally.

I was also thinking of some of my favourite contemporary death bands. since I've been locked down I've strayed a bit more into thrash because you know, it's easier. but trying to get back to more death. it's like classical and romantic. one is instant, the other can be a bit overwhelming if you're not in the mood.

If you like Bolt Thrower: try Tomb Mold (Toronto). sadly not caught them live but absolutely massive sound.

If you like later Death: Obscura (Munich) [named after the Gorguts album but sounds nothing like it]. lots of cosmic philosophy lyrics and varied arrangements.

If you like, uh, rap: Archspire (Vancouver). ok so the rest of the band are tight tech putting out loads of great melodic runs, but the vocalist spits out stuff like a machine gun, it's fucking incredible.

Rivers of Nihil's Where Owls Know My Name is an album to try if you like Gorguts' branching out. Very Tool/King Crimson. and it has a saxophone!

Other active young bands I've been impressed with:
Corpsessed (Finland): almost atmospheric sometimes. I keep listening to the 2018 Impetus of Death album
Ingested (Manchester): yes part of the beginning of the whole misogynistic rape slam shit but they've grown a lot since then. and actually that first album is good anyway
Embryo (Italy): little bit of core but better than most
Allegaeon (Colorado) and First Fragment (Quebec): ultra tech with good songwriting and lyrical themes

The Mollusk

Quote from: chveik on August 09, 2021, 07:39:06 PM
i sometimes spend months listening to only one genre of music but the obsession goes away eventually

My ADHD dictates that my genre obsessions don't ever last more than two days, typically. This week has been a very weird phenomenon for me. I've been blasting through Death's discography today and I dare say tomorrow I'll be listening to it again!

Shaky

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 09, 2021, 10:14:08 PM
I still haven't heard that Carcass album btw. It's good then? Potato boiling music.

Sorry to barge in but yes, it's fucking excellent. A nice mix of everything they've done well in the past while still having a few surprises here and there. Get it heard!

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 09, 2021, 07:08:44 PM

I've been binging on the heavier stuff too - forced myself to listen to some jazz last night just to remind myself there are other genres out there.

cosmic-hearse

Been listening to a lot of Swedish DM of late. Generally the rule of "I only like the early stuff" works here when it comes to Unleashed / Merciless / Entombed / Nihilist / Dismember / Grave & their ilk - mad to think that this sound was all made by teenagers in youth clubs listening to Celtic Frost, Discharge & Bathory.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The last Rivers of Nihil album was excellent.

Obituary and Suffocation were always my jam, never really got into CC, Morbid Angel or Deicide

Death - amazing albums. Gorguts and Cynic both great.

Yep, Death Metal is awesome.

jobotic

This is the best metal (I think it's doom metal, I don't fucking know. T-shirts tucked in metal). Their records are amazing. Corrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0nj7WhulA

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 09, 2021, 10:32:40 PM

If you like Bolt Thrower: try Tomb Mold (Toronto). sadly not caught them live but absolutely massive sound.

Aye, they're bloody good.

Mobius

Wish I could remember half the Death Metal I used to listen to.

Some of me favourites are

Vital Remains - Dechristianize is a standout

Benighted - Insane Cephalic Production (Might be more grind than Death Metal?)

Aborted - Engineering The Dead

Cryptopsy, Bloodbath, The Crown, Edge Of Sanity, Ribspreader and Dan Swano's Uncreation album, Hypocrisy, The Haunted .. anyway it's just turning into a list now but god I used to love a bit of metal. Tended to skew towards Melodic Death which probably makes me some sort of wanker!

Magnum Valentino

Aye I meant to mention Bloodbath as well. Another EP recommendation from me (I do like full albums hobest!) is their superb Blasting the Virginborn.

Next time I'm at a computer I'll do a proper post with links.

idunnosomename

oh I must also mention Deeds of Flesh. genuinely fucking frightening music at times. Erik Lindmark, their mastermind and also CEO of Unique Leader Records, tragically died of sclerosis 2018 aged 46. Although the sci-fi stuff from 2008 is good, I prefer the earlier stuff with no guitar solos (which is an odd thing for me to admit, because I love a guitar solo), especially Reduced to Ashes which has the massive finale The Endurance which is a nearly 12-minute story about sailors gradually turning to cannibalism.

Another cracker is Finnish Demilich. again like king crimson, if they were fronted by a belching frog. only really have one album. but what an album.

have been delving into more esoteric spotify death metal suggestions recently but would love to hear of some deep cut recent bands.

kngen

There's not much I see eye to eye with from the early Norwegian black metal scene - but this is definitely something we can agree on.

'Wow, that's a pretty condensed mix you've got going on there, Scott. Where are you going to fit the bass drums in?'

'Oh, I thought I'd stick them somewhere between the hi-hat and the guitar leads'

Click-click-click-clickety-clickclickclick. Click-click-click-clicketyclicketyclick-click.

Making Pete Sandoval sound like he's doing a typing test for a position in a secretarial pool. Brilliant.