Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunt

Started by touchingcloth, November 18, 2021, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

If there were no difference between Walkers and the cheap ones why would anyone buy Walkers?

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 18, 2021, 06:49:23 PMEvery part of the world has its stable carbs doesn't it? Wheat, rice, barley, cassava, potatoes. And they're all beige. There's probably something in that.

Come to think of it colourful foods were probably a real novelty in the UK until relatively recently. Until about the 1950s everything would have been beige or brown or green apart from carrots.

Tomatoes were in the UK long before the 1950s too, but, yeah, apart from fruits and berries, I'd imagine there would've been a lot of beigeness.

Thought this poor kid might end up with an eating disorder, but never crossed my mind that what she already has is probably more than just fussy eating.

JaDanketies

I heard or read somewhere that refined grains and other easy carbs had not permeated the global palette as much as they have nowadays and most people had to make do with yams until international trade was invented (by the English)

Chedney Honks

Can I recommend pink panther

Blue Jam

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 18, 2021, 07:56:55 PMTomatoes were in the UK long before the 1950s too, but, yeah, apart from fruits and berries, I'd imagine there would've been a lot of beigeness.

I was thinking of the two world wars and rationing there too, plus the time before the advent of refrigerated trucks and planes, and the advent of the polytunnel. I'm sure tomatoes were around but they probably weren't too affordable at first, a bit like the way chicken wouldn't have been anywhere near as cheap as it is now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 18, 2021, 08:36:21 PMI was thinking of the two world wars and rationing there too, plus the time before the advent of refrigerated trucks and planes, and the advent of the polytunnel. I'm sure tomatoes were around but they probably weren't too affordable at first, a bit like the way chicken wouldn't have been anywhere near as cheap as it is now.

I think you've possibly overlooked canning [nearer to source] and other preservation methods?

KennyMonster

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 18, 2021, 02:22:54 PMThis guy

Oh yeah, why's th..........hold on, something's not quite right?

H-O-W-L

This is one of few CAB threads that I think is truly mean-spirited. It's not like she's forcing the crisps upon the kid with no option of anything else. Fucking hell.

This really feels like a "LOOK AT THE DIV! LOOK AT THE SPOD! LOOK AT THE WEIRDY!!!! CUNT!!!!! HAHAHA WEIRDY CUNT CAN'T EAT RIGHT!" thread. And I say that, fully playing my tokens and cards, as someone with historical eating disorders and continued dietary issues.

Fuck this cunt thread.

bgmnts

Pretty sure medieval peasant diets consisted of different veggies and beans and all that good shit along with fruits and berries etc. Maybe a bit of meat and fish thrown in.

Did it all turn beige? It was all fish fingers and chips for me growing up obviously but i fucking loved sunday dinner with all the colourful veg.

H-O-W-L

Peasant diets were blander than that. Sweet fruits were definitely not a regular part of peasant diets. Stuff like oranges and berries were coveted for their sweetness and often went straight up the totem pole rather than evenly. Strawberries and blackberries are a rare exception because they grow fucking everywhere, but I don't believe strawberries as we know them were introduced until about the mid 1700s.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm a medieval peasant and my diet consists of pineapple chunks, raclette, sour haribo and peach sorbet.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Bernice on November 18, 2021, 07:14:08 PMYeah, this does seem a bit mean. I know, dark humour, just a joke lol etc.

Dark humour or a joke normally requires something to be funny. At least to someone.

I'm not sure what the intended source of humour of dropping an article about a child having an eating disorder with the comment "Cunt" is.

(Of course, we all know what probably happened here: touchingcloth skimmed the article instead of reading it thoroughly, presumed the mother was some sort of neglectful wagon who just wanted to let her child gorge on crisps and waffles all the time instead of being a proper parent and getting her child to eat actual food, and then decided it would be appropriate to refer to her as a cunt for this imagined crime. And instead of going "oopsie" after others pointed out the eating disorder, decided to brazen it out for a couple of posts. At least I hope that's what it is anyway, because the alternatives fall under 'doesn't look good for  ')

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 18, 2021, 06:46:40 PMFile under "try-hard iconoclasm"

It's not a bad effort at iconoclasm for a 4-year-old, to be fair.

bgmnts

Well I mean at some point the parent fed their child crisps. Unless she stole the crisps in which case I'm glad she's suffering.

I personally wouldn't give a child anything shit like that for a good few years and I'd be the most hated parent ever but the trappings of parenthood are numerous and the consequences can be severe so who the fuck knows.

Still dunno why she can't just bung any old crisps in a walkers packet though. No way they taste different.

Video Game Fan 2000

Columbo: the Austerity Mysteries

idunnosomename

I'm a complete cunt and my diet consists of walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells, grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells. aww yeah.

Video Game Fan 2000

Can I just say I'm so happy with how positive this thread turned out. Just everyone's best traits put front and centre. It's the kind of moral booster we needed, really beautiful.

chveik

In the interest of fairness, i'm also a cunt

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: chveik on November 19, 2021, 01:29:35 AMIn the interest of fairness, i'm also a cunt

No, I'm a cunt and so is my wife.

Kankurette

Well done, she's 4.

Lemming

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2021, 12:45:46 AMStill dunno why she can't just bung any old crisps in a walkers packet though. No way they taste different.

The baked ones taste different and crucially have a very different texture, she might be repulsed by the greasiness and lack of crunch in the regular ones. There's no way to replicate them at home via DIY either as far as I can tell, I've tried to bake crisps in the oven and it's consistently all gone to bollocks.

H-O-W-L

I'm sure Buzby could enlighten us-- there's probably a genuinely fascinating mechanical means of doing so.

shoulders

Those who are slagging this kid right off for eating a total of 4 things probably wouldn't eat even a single bit of the kid.

Lost Oliver

tbf they are pretty fit crisps.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2021, 12:45:46 AMStill dunno why she can't just bung any old crisps in a walkers packet though. No way they taste different.
I'm not an expert on many things, but I am an expert on crisp flavour. I've eaten nearly every brand of crisp you can name. I assure you, the same flavour tastes different across the brands.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lemming on November 19, 2021, 02:06:21 AMThe baked ones taste different and crucially have a very different texture, she might be repulsed by the greasiness and lack of crunch in the regular ones. There's no way to replicate them at home via DIY either as far as I can tell, I've tried to bake crisps in the oven and it's consistently all gone to bollocks.

I've never tried making potato crisps but I have tried numerous recipes for courgette crisps and have never got any of them to work. There seems to be no reliable way to get enough water out of the slices. It seems that only a deep fat fryer would get them crispy.

Those Walkers Baked things seem to be made with powedered and recostituted potato (plus a fair bit of sugar to compensate for the loss of flavour caused by reducing the fat content). They could possibly be made with instant mash and some kind of press but this is probably a challenge most of the chefs on Snackmasters would struggle with.

Also I note a lot of people saying the mother should try recreating them, bit like in other press coverage. Why can't the father pop out and buy some Smash? The coverage and discussion of this is just horrible all round.

pigamus

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 19, 2021, 09:47:06 AMI'm not an expert on many things, but I am an expert on crisp flavour. I've eaten nearly every brand of crisp you can name. I assure you, the same flavour tastes different across the brands.

Of course. It's bizarre that people think any different. Like I said - if the cheap ones tasted the same, why would anyone buy Walkers?

Blue Jam

Normal Walkers crisps do seem much greasier than other crisps. Even Kettle Chips.

no_offenc

Great work mocking a 4 year old with an eating disorder. Sometimes I forget why I stopped posting here, and then threads like this come along. Fucking hell.

thugler

I don't know, i go back and forth on this. Noones saying the parents are evil incarnate for letting their kids eat crisps. But it's got to have been allowed to continue for quite some time to get to the stage that that's all they'll eat. It's not like the child didn't eat before trying crisps, nor that the first time they tried them they swore off them. Ultimately is it not better to cut it off earlier and not let it develop into a disorder as soon as it showed signd of becoming a problem. When it gets to the point they are eating it full time it's pretty hazardous to the kids health eating that all day every day. The longer it goes on the harder it will be to kick. And the sugar/fat/salt combo is highly addictive.

And it's not like eating disorders can't be caused by many things, including stuff within the parents control.

Admittedly i did not read the article... Ok read it now. Yes it's an eating disorder, but there's no explanation of what causes the condition or how it is treated. I would presume perpetually giving them this same shit food for the rest of their life is not the plan even in the medium term.