Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Solidarity with the Amazon strikes

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 26, 2021, 09:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 28, 2021, 09:10:36 AMBut what about the vital Funko Pop market, will someone think about the Funko Pop market!

I posted the concept of a Captain Tom Funko Pop in the deso thread and it got 0 interaction despite being the funniest thing I've ever posted on here. A shame, a shame. Can't take Funkos seriously now, considering throwing my 300 piece collection in the bin.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ferris on November 28, 2021, 12:39:08 PMI posted the concept of a Captain Tom Funko Pop in the deso thread and it got 0 interaction despite being the funniest thing I've ever posted on here. A shame, a shame. Can't take Funkos seriously now, considering throwing my 300 piece collection in the bin.

Was there offline during your 'funny period'. Apols

Fambo Number Mive

Amazon is facing questions over health and safety at the Amazon warehouse that was hit by a tornado:

Quote...Now, questions are being raised over whether adequate shelter was available, whether workers were advised to go there immediately, and whether the shifts should have gone ahead that evening at all, given the warnings of severe weather.

The Edwardsville site received tornado warnings between 20:06 and 20:16 local time (01:06 and 01:16 GMT) before the tornado struck the building at 20:27, Amazon said in a statement when contacted by the BBC, with events "happening incredibly fast".

The company said that the team worked "incredibly quickly" to ensure as many employees and partners could reach the "shelter in place" site.

One cargo driver, Austin J McEwen, 26, died in the bathroom, where many workers said they had been directed to shelter after receiving emergency alerts on their mobile phones.

"I was just getting in the building and they started screaming, "Shelter in place!'" said David Kosiak, 26, who has worked at the facility for three months. "We were in the bathrooms. That's where they sent us."

"It sounded like a train came through the building. The ceiling tiles came flying down. It was very loud. They made us shelter in place until we left - it was at least two-and-a-half hours in there," Mr Kosiak said.

Amazon said following a tornado warning company procedure was for all employees to be "notified and directed to move to a designated and marked shelter in place location".

The majority of the team had taken shelter at "the primary designated location", the firm said, but a small group had taken shelter in a part of the building that was hit by the tornado. "This is where most of the tragic loss of life occurred," Amazon said.

But Clayton's sister Rachel told the BBC that she understood from the conversation between her brother and her parents that he and the other workers were not immediately told to shelter after the first warning siren sounded.

She posted an comment on Facebook calling for publicity around the firm's approach to health and safety...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59641784

Famous Mortimer

Just over the river from me. Fuck Amazon.

We had the sirens and that, but nothing happened where I was. Even the bowl of food I leave out for the neighbourhood stray cats was undisturbed.

buttgammon

These bastards keep building data centres here. They're not the only ones, but they recently opened a massive one near me and they're building a few more on the opposite side of the city. They hardly employ anyone (which is just as well when you consider how badly they treat their staff) and these centres are such a massive drain on resources that our water and electricity networks are at breaking point because of the cooling they require. They're a disgusting company that actively aims to be dystopian.

Fambo Number Mive

In latest "Amazon are tossers" news:

QuoteAmazonSmile reportedly donated more than $40,000 to leading sources of vaccine misinformation in 2020, according to separate analyses by Popular Information and the Washington Post...

In 2019, the Guardian reported on Amazon's anti-vaccine donations, as well as its "influencer" program allowing those with significant followings – including leading anti-vaccine proponents – to earn commissions on products they recommend. Amazon has remained a home to prominent anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists after other platforms banned them, reports show.

An Amazon spokesperson said: "We respect that our customers want access to a wide variety of viewpoints on the matter, which is why we continue to list the books in question and include these charities in the list of organizations customers can choose from as part of AmazonSmile."...

A search for "vaccine" on [Amazon.com] shows anti-vaccine books are the third and sixth results, with others following. In a search for "Covid", a conspiracy theory book is the second result. Many of the books are sold by Amazon itself, not third parties. "Amazon right now is the single largest purveyor of anti-vaccine books," Hotez said.

Amazon is also a commerce platform for anti-vax T-shirts, herbal supplements, and other products. Over the summer, customers posted reviews of ivermectin as a potential treatment for Covid, despite warnings from public health agencies that the deworming medication is not effective against the respiratory virus.

And the company doesn't just host the items, researchers recently found. Its algorithms actively promote anti-vaccine resources and goods, potentially pulling customers deeper into health misinformation and conspiracy theories.

Two University of Washington researchers – Prerna Juneja, a doctoral student, and Tanu Mitra, an assistant professor – found Amazon ranks misinformation above quality information, according to their report about misinformation on e-commerce platforms...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/15/amazonsmile-donations-anti-vaccine-groups

flotemysost

Urgh. Wasn't there something a few years ago where customers were receiving kid's books with leaflets discouraging them from allowing their children to have the HPV vaccine tucked inside? Not sure if they were sold by Amazon or marketplace vendors, but fucking dodgy either way.

I was walking through Spitalfields the other day and did an exaggerated comedy double-take when I saw this:

Fuck's the point? Apparently it's got tablets with some kind of app where customers can upload a photo and then digitally experiment with different colours, as if there weren't a million sites/apps that can do that already for free. And as if you wouldn't want to just talk to an actual human stylist who can see the texture, condition, porosity etc. of your hair and give their verdict on how it'll turn out. Madness.

Fambo Number Mive

So you don't get your hair cut in there, it just shows you how your hair would look and you can purchase some hair products from what looks like two shelving units?

flotemysost

Nah, there were actual stylists and chairs, sinks etc. in there from what I could see. Just seems like they've discovered another avenue to monopolise, as generally with hairdressing I guess people tend to stick to a specific preferred personal favourite business, and we can't be having that!

Fambo Number Mive

The BBC reported in April that the Amazon Salon was staffed "by hairdressers from independent London salon Neville Hair & Beauty". Does seem a bit counter-productive for the salon staff to get involved in something like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56835803

QuoteThe venue will also have magazines loaded on to tablets, for browsing

I presume these are of the products sold by Amazon rather than the kind of magazines you'd find at the GP surgery.

Maybe in a few years people will be paying £2 to use the AmazonPortaloo or dogging in the AmazonVehicleBay.