Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,489
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ways to precipitate human extinction

Started by Johnny Foreigner, November 27, 2021, 10:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

And? These are one in a 1000 or 100,000 year events. Entirely natural. Human activity has exacerbated both natural snd unnatural events greatly.. so much so as to risk extinction at an increasingly rapid pace.

Next you'll be saying climate change is natural and we all would like warmer seasons

Video Game Fan 2000

BlodwynPig

A nuke, anthropological climate change, kyle rittenhouse

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 28, 2021, 05:50:17 PMPoint completely missed. Humans are the anomaly, rather their ability to act against (or with) natural order. Dropping a nuke is not any ecological trait im aware of.

Stick to politics Trenter.

I've not missed the point at all; how are humans any more of an anomaly than any other organism? Those stars btw are giant hydrogen bombs that inevitably explode destroying everything, for millions and billions of miles numbnuts.

Also you are massively over estimating humans abilities to act against whatever you think the "natural order" is.  Sounds like the appeal to nature I was exactly describing in fact.

Buelligan

You're missing the point, old sport, it's not what they are, it's what they do.  There are humans living on the earth right now who aren't doing squat to fuck the planet and there are a lot more of 'em who are wanking it for coin.  Even a nitwit can see that.

Video Game Fan 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

All life has cased drastic climate change on a global scale. There was never harmony.

If anything the difference is that human survival depends on stability and we care if that stability is lost.

Buelligan

Will it really matter to you, will you argue the toss at length, when the temperature of the planet rises by four or five degrees?  Will you be happy about it if some twat can tell you that all the carbon and methane and so on, being merrily released into the atmosphere was natural.  That the humans doing it were being natural, so it's all fine?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 28, 2021, 06:17:03 PMhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

Seriously why bother VGF2K they won't see reason; this isn't about any logic or proof.

Love the way it is also now its being segued into climate denial, incredible, but that is what they do.

Video Game Fan 2000

What makes humans most different is that we're actively trying to stabilise the effects of cataclysmic change and trying to moderate damage, even if we're doing it ineffectively. Our ability to care about ecology on a planet wide scale is unique. That we're even talking about limiting our own growth for global benefit is remarkable if we think of ourselves in terms of being a single species from a particular environment and all that.

Invasive species outcompeting the species native to a habitat don't usually go ah better save some of these so some ecological diversity is preserved. Humanity is beautiful.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

yeah those are all good arguments but to be honest every time I see somebody go on about how the best thing for the planet is for humanity to go extinct I immediately think they're a prick who's desperately trying to show off how edgy they are. Not to mention they know damn well they're not going to persuade all 8 billion people on the planet to sterilise and/or kill themselves, so all they're doing is lying around wanking themselves blind to their own sense of superiority and misanthropy. Fuck off out of the way and let the adults find a solution to the existential threat of climate change, please.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 28, 2021, 06:26:06 PMyeah those are all good arguments but to be honest every time I see somebody go on about how the best thing for the planet is for humanity to go extinct I immediately think they're a prick who's desperately trying to show off how edgy they are. Not to mention they know damn well they're not going to persuade all 8 billion people on the planet to sterilise and/or kill themselves, so all they're doing is lying around wanking themselves blind to their own sense of superiority and misanthropy. Fuck off out of the way and let the adults find a solution to the existential threat of climate change, please.

Wouldn't quite put it like that but I agree with it, seconded

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 28, 2021, 06:26:06 PMyeah those are all good arguments but to be honest every time I see somebody go on about how the best thing for the planet is for humanity to go extinct I immediately think they're a prick who's desperately trying to show off how edgy they are. Not to mention they know damn well they're not going to persuade all 8 billion people on the planet to sterilise and/or kill themselves, so all they're doing is lying around wanking themselves blind to their own sense of superiority and misanthropy. Fuck off out of the way and let the adults find a solution to the existential threat of climate change, please.

You do love a wanking metaphor PBGC (who doesn't!) but you are spot on here.

Shit Good Nose

But how will I buy and watch blu-rays and 4K UHDs?

Video Game Fan 2000

Gonna put blu rays in corn beef tins too just to be safe.

Buelligan

I think there's room for people to think (and say) these things.  They may not be getting off on their edginess or whatevs.  They may well be looking dispassionately at what's taking place on this lovely ball and saying, perfectly fairly, that what's going on is not any way to run a fucking ballroom.  Because, clearly, it is not.

It's not about cute wittle bunnywunnies.  It's about seeing what humanity (capitalism) is doing to the planet, how it affects all things (not just the humans) and understanding, quite reasonably, that if they were removed from the equation, everything would improve for the whole rest.

Call it a wake the fuck up, you cunts, call if you like.  Everyone hates the alarm but it exists for a reason.

Poobum

I also think we should murder all people cause of the horrid mistakes white people made in the last two hundred years of modern humanities 200'000 years of being. Burn them all!

bgmnts

Nothing edgy or superior about being misanthropic or not seeing the human race as beautiful and amazing.

Shit Good Nose

Lu
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 28, 2021, 06:46:41 PMGonna put blu rays in corn beef tins too just to be safe.

Luckily for me I quite like corned beef.

Quote from: Poobum on November 28, 2021, 06:57:28 PMI also think we should murder all people cause of the horrid mistakes white people made in the last two hundred years of modern humanities 200'000 years of being. Burn them all!

We did come up with shortbread though.  That's got to be worth something.

Inspector Norse

Video Game Fan 2000

Simon Cowell's new face at a party at Epstein's house?

Quote from: Buelligan on November 28, 2021, 06:50:37 PMhumanity (capitalism)

!

Poobum

Quote from: bgmnts on November 28, 2021, 07:00:45 PMNothing edgy or superior about being misanthropic or not seeing the human race as beautiful and amazing.

Nowt wrong with having some compassion for humans as well considering they're another animal subject to ongoing evolutionary pressures encountering novel problems.

Video Game Fan 2000

Poorer countries tend to use fossil fuels because they're poor and coal is a cheap way to heat your home and cook food. News to them they're driving the wheel of capital.

Misanthropy is a luxury belief. You need a pith helmet to get the full effect.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 28, 2021, 07:09:22 PMPoorer countries tend to use fossil fuels because they're poor and coal is a cheap way to heat your home and cook food. News to them they're driving the wheel of capital.

Misanthropy is a luxury belief. You need a pith helmet to get the full effect.

And a canary.  Pit pony/donkey optional.

bgmnts

Quote from: Poobum on November 28, 2021, 07:05:57 PMNowt wrong with having some compassion for humans as well considering they're another animal subject to ongoing evolutionary pressures encountering novel problems.

I mean animals dont get 1 billionth of the compassion humans get really. It's apples and oranges. There are lots of people sparing compassion for other humans despite how shit they treat each other.

I prefer reserving my compassion for beings that have much less. That's just the way I am, and the way a few other people do too, presumably even in poorer countries!

Video Game Fan 2000

Down the colonialism mine with my pith helmet and pith pony, digging for prejudice and economic extraction.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 28, 2021, 07:13:09 PMDown the colonialism mine with my pith helmet and pith pony, digging for prejudice and economic extraction.

"And straight in at number one this week is Billy Bragg with his latest single.  Will it be a Christmas number one?  I'm Gary Davies and I'm STILL wearing my Bruno Brookes halloween fright mask.  Take it away Billy..."

Video Game Fan 2000

Next up, U2 doing their chart-topping cover of "Too Many Fucking Humans" by No Trend

Johnny Foreigner

There is no doubt that I am a prick, but that is not really relevant. I am somewhat averse to murder and have no sadistic tendencies either; hence why I am explicitly exploring methods for a soft-touch discouraging of procreation. For what sets us apart from other animals is the very capacity to check and steer our procreation.

It ought to be clear that nobody wants any unpleasantness. Let us not upset the utilitarian calculus by killing random people at will; that is not the idea at all.* Rather spread enjoyment. I am strongly in favour of a hedonist approach to reducing world population. One thing I am quite certain of is that this, our species is breeding itself into pain and suffering: cramped spaces with hardly any resources and a hostile climate - the very opposite of pleasure. Pleasure is the goal, extinction is the means.

And this, sadly, is what I** must continue to propagate, however deaf the world may prove.

*On the contrary: the fewer people there are, the more resources there are to enjoy. That even makes sense under capitalism: if you accept it stands to reason that the highest earners should pay the most taxes, fewer people means fewer public expenses means fewer taxes means greater incomes. Until there comes a point when society has grown so small-scale trade and commerce grind to a halt, and you are left with primitive communism, made possible by the absence of a state.

**I, the unique I in the Stirnerian sense. It may very well be that others have different convictions, and that is perfectly fine; let them defend their positions if they so choose. As a rule, I am concerned with Me, My power and that which is Mine. In this instance: exhortation towards a reduction of world population is a feature of Me.