Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Animated Music Videos.

Started by BJBMK2, November 28, 2021, 03:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

Cartoons. Music Videos. There both good. Let's have some.

Bjork - I Miss You - Yes, it's directed by horrible sex pest, Ren and Stimpy man, but I can't deny it's a fun watch, dodgy CGI bits aside.

Blur - Good Song - Will never be my fave era of Blur, but this is a lovely piece from David Shrigley.

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer - is an obvious example, but anything that's done by Aardman Animation is magical, especially when they were at there 80's/90's peak.

flotemysost

I remember seeing the video for Green Jelly - Three Little Pigs when I was about 4 or 5 and not even realising it was a music video, just thought it was an unexpectedly gory kid's short film.

The Residents - One Minute Movies videos have some endearingly odd moments.

And an incredibly obvious answer, but I genuinely like the video for a-ha - Take On Me

I got a bit sick of Michel Gondry's 00s music videos (especially after being taught media A-Level by a tutor who was very into him) but they're decent I suppose.

Hex Triplet

First one that came to mind was this charming Lego video for "The Mollusk" by Ween. Unfortunately only available in carpet fuzz quality but considering it's almost 20 (!!!!) years old, still delightful.

Kankurette

I'd post the Beautiful South's How Long's a Tear Take to Dry?, but bastard YouTube banned it because of Warners doing it or something, so have some Röyksopp instead.

Wonderful Butternut

This isn't even a proper video, someone just stuck the track over some Nike promotion thing but it works so well - 44m views

Mac Miller/Kendrick Lamar - Fight The Feeling

Probably helps that the song is so beautiful.

Butchers Blind

This uses an old Sesame Street animation idea.

Sean Ymphs

Gantz Graf by Autechre - despite looking like a sophisticated winamp visualisation, it was actually meticulously animated frame by frame by Alex Rutherford.

olliebean

Can't believe nobody's posted this yet:

The Crumb

The slightly horrifying video to King Rat by Modest Mouse

Portishead's The Rip doing the animation equivalent of a single continuous shot.

Kankurette

Is stop motion allowed? Because this is one of my favourite animated videos. Ratamahatta by Sepultura.

Another unofficial one

Blank Banshee - Teen Pregnacy

Deliciousbass

I like this Mitski one. Reminds me of a recurring nightmare where I'm accidentally driving a plane.

Endicott

letsgobrian

OhSees - Enrique El Cobrador

Animated by: Massimo Colarusso and Alexis Giroux

I think the thumbnail lets you know what you're in for here.

Powder - New Tribe

Animated by: AC-Bu

Not sure any AC-Bu thumbnail will ever let you know what you're in for.

purlieu

Blur's Good Song is a great example, not a song I particularly like, but the second half of the video is wonderful.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 28, 2021, 09:53:19 PMIs stop motion allowed? Because this is one of my favourite animated videos. Ratamahatta by Sepultura.

Was going to post this one, great stuff.

FSOL's We Have Explosive, directed by the late Run Wrake.

A couple of Orbital ones, the beautiful stop motion of Style:
and the wonderfully daft Oi!

Jellyfish - Baby's Coming Back

Power pop + early 90s animation + classic cartoon 'punchline' at the end.

buzby

Quote from: BJBMK2 on November 28, 2021, 03:24:50 PMPeter Gabriel - Sledgehammer - is an obvious example, but anything that's done by Aardman Animation is magical, especially when they were at there 80's/90's peak.
Point of order - Aardman only did part of the Sledgehammer video. The Brothers Quay did all the parts featuring the real Peter Gabriel, but their contributions usually get overlooked in favour of their more famous contemporaries.

I much prefer the follow-up video for Big Time. The Animation this time was done in the US by the team who worked on Pee Wee's Playhouse, including David Daniels' trademark 'Stratacut' clay animation technique.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Paranoid Android yet either:

boki

Please enjoy the utterly deranged video for Pressure by French electronic duo dDamage:

BJBMK2

Quote from: buzby on November 28, 2021, 10:53:19 PMPoint of order - Aardman only did part of the Sledgehammer video. The Brothers Quay did all the parts featuring the real Peter Gabriel, but their contributions usually get overlooked in favour of their more famous contemporaries.

Well sodomise my hat, I didn't know that. And it now makes perfect sense, watching it again.

Captain Z

Can't believe nobody's posted this yet. Just when you thought Walking With Dinosaurs was mind-blowing, along came LCD.

Midas

Chris Sievey - Camouflage
A cute basic animated computer program made to be played alongside the single.

Numerous releases by Luke Vibert have been released with accompanying animated music videos; a few favourites include...

Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Made by the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared lot.

I'm also fond of the Warp Records - ( M o t i o n ) video that accompanied their "Artificial Intelligence" releases. Features music by Aphex Twin, Autechre, Global Communication, (etc) accompanied by pulsating computer-generated landscapes. Also shagging temples.

buzby

Quote from: Midas on November 29, 2021, 12:34:06 AMChris Sievey - Camouflage
A cute basic animated computer program made to be played alongside the single.
In the 'early computer-generated videos' list, there's also the little-seen original video for Blue Monday, created by Stephen Morris (note the footage of tanks) using his Apple II with a primitive video capture card and the video editing suite installed in the basement of Tony Wilson's house:

For the tax bill-induced 1988 remix, they got Robert Breer to create flickbook animation (copies of the flickbook were produced and sent out as Factory's chistmas card that year):

Catalogue Trousers

Frank Zappa - City Of Tiny Lights

A blummen amazing and unsettling piece of Claymation.

Westworld - Sonic Boom Boy

An infectiously joyous song, and I love this poor man's Roger Rabbit/Cool World/Volere Volare video.

Tikwid

Dan Deacon - When I Was Done Dying. Brilliant game of telephone with each section animated by a different animator:
The Avalanches - Subways. Perfectly encapsulates the late 60s counterculture-era vibe of the Wildflower album:
A couple of Gotye videos - the haunting CG-gothic Hearts A Mess and the bawdy coming-of-age allegory Seven Hours with a Backseat Driver:

Egyptian Feast

The crappy animation for Malkmus' Brynner head is one of the many reasons I love this video.

studpuppet

Had to check a couple of times to make sure it hadn't been posted already.