Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:14:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Nesmith has died

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 10, 2021, 08:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Starting this thread because the other one is stupid.

Yeah, I know, it's CAB! But the man deserves a respectful send-off.

Face facts, Gram Parsons, Nesmith was the original cosmic American cowboy. He combined Country and Western with pop and psychedelia long before you did (I am aware that dead Gram Parsons isn't reading this).

Nesmith wasn't just the coolest Monkee, he was an incredible songwriter. His early solo albums should be waxed and bronzed. He was a sort of wacky genius. Praise him (if you want).

Norton Canes

Custard

Fuck. Very sad

Will be playing some Monkees all this week, in tribute

RIP

Goldentony

Hard to beat that first album with the First National Band. Imagine wrting something like Nine Times Blue.

Keebleman

Did you know his mum invented Tippex?  Yes, of course you did cos that is the first thing everyone is saying about him tonight.  But did you know he wrote and sang this fantastic Monkees song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AweItvbPmBQ

DrGreggles

Quote from: Goldentony on December 10, 2021, 10:01:39 PMHard to beat that first album with the First National Band. Imagine wrting something like Nine Times Blue.

https://youtu.be/GpTENCWWQ74

Probably my favourite Nes song.

Another one of my faves: Some of Shelly's Blues.

mothman

I can't remember at this point, was it Nesmith or Dolenz who for a while didn't want to get involved in Monkees nostalgia and just put it all behind him?

DrGreggles

Quote from: mothman on December 11, 2021, 12:10:16 AMI can't remember at this point, was it Nesmith or Dolenz who for a while didn't want to get involved in Monkees nostalgia and just put it all behind him?

It was Nes who would come and go, but Dolenz was always there - I think every incarnation of The Monkees featured him.

Quote from: mothman on December 11, 2021, 12:10:16 AMI can't remember at this point, was it Nesmith or Dolenz who for a while didn't want to get involved in Monkees nostalgia and just put it all behind him?

That was Nesmith. He was a zillionaire due to his mother's invention of Tippex, plus he had his own career going on. His solo albums were never big sellers, but they were critically acclaimed (he invented country rock etc.) And he was a movie producer too. Alex Cox's Repo Man was one of his. He also more or less invented MTV, but that's a convoluted saga.

He didn't need to get back with the Monkees in the way the other three did, but I thought it was rather touching when he reunited with Dolenz following the deaths of Jones and Tork. As I say, he didn't need the money, but by that point he was happy to acknowledge how much the band meant to him.

He was never sniffy or dismissive of The Monkees, he just wasn't particularly interested in getting back together with them for extended periods.

Nez produced a Monkees 'comeback' album in the mid '90s, and it was shite. Weirdly, he only wrote one song for it. There was an accompanying TV special too, which he also directed. That was fairly amusing in its post-modern way.

I interviewed him fifteen years ago, and he didn't have a bad word to say abut the Monkees 'project'. It was something he did, and he was proud of it.

DrGreggles

To be fair, Dolenz never did it for the money either (he made a fortune in property investments), but genuinely loves performing.
Tork and Jones probably needed the cash.

That's true, yes. Dolenz must be minted. He just enjoys playing shows, and he still sounds great.

mothman

QuoteHe was never sniffy or dismissive of The Monkees, he just wasn't particularly interested in getting back together with them for extended periods.
That was always my impression. There wasn't any rancour, he just wanted to do other things. And fair play to him.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 11, 2021, 01:51:38 AMThis mini pop masterpiece

Perfect pop. When Dolenz joins him on the bridge, just beautiful.

Nez also wrote this classic.

Goldentony

Dolenz' turn in the film 'NIGHT OF THE STRANGLER' which features no strangling over several days has just been released on blu ray by the AFGA, weird set of careers among the lot of them

daf

Quote from: Keebleman on December 10, 2021, 10:07:01 PMDid you know his mum invented Tippex?  Yes, of course you did cos that is the first thing everyone is saying about him tonight.

Technically, it was Liquid Paper :

QuoteNesmith's Mum : "with lettering, an artist never corrects by erasing, but always paints over the error. So I decided to use what artists use. I put some (white) tempera water-based paint in a bottle and took my watercolor brush to the office. I used it to correct my mistakes."

She secretly used her white correction paint for five years. She eventually began marketing her typewriter correction fluid as "Mistake Out" in 1956.

By 1968, the product – now renamed Liquid Paper – was profitable, and in 1979 the company was sold to the Gillette Corporation for $47.5 million with royalties.

Tipp-Ex was invented in Germany :

QuoteTipp-Ex correction paper was invented by Wolfgang Dabisch from Eltville, West Germany, who filed a patent in 1958 on Coloured film for the correction of typing errors (German: Tippfehler). He subsequently founded a company of the same name. Shortly after that a Tipp-Ex Sales & Distribution company (Tipp-Ex Vertrieb GmbH & Co. KG) was founded in Frankfurt by Otto Carls.

Nowhere Man

What a shiter of news to wake up to this morning, the amount of amazing tunes that popped out of Nez is mad, he was a truly great creative force in music, RIP

Some choice favourites off the top of my head:

You Told Me
You Just May Be The One
Papa Genes Blues
Circle Sky
The Door Into Summer
Tapioca Tundra
What Am I Doin' Hanging Round?
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
Love Is Only Sleeping
Silver Moon
Listen to The Band
Nine Times Blue
Mama Nantucket

Nowhere Man

Double post, but how amazing is Tapioca Tundra? It's stuck in my head ever since I first heard it:

Keebleman

Awoke today with this song in my head.  It's still there now and can stay all day as far as I'm concerned because it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N2JQfGBuw4

Custard

He didn't write this one, Ben Gibbard did, but he sings it and really makes it what is

His older voice adds so much feeling and pathos

Me & Magdalena
https://youtu.be/FfruDTmFDUA

Bootiful

the science eel

Quote from: Nowhere Man on December 11, 2021, 10:00:24 AMDouble post, but how amazing is Tapioca Tundra? It's stuck in my head ever since I first heard it:

It's lovely. Big fan of that album, actually - their White Album?

'Writing Wrongs' is another that lifts my hat CLEAN ORFF! I don't care if they played on it or not, but fuck if it doesn't sound like 'European Son To Delmore Schwartz' in the middle section.

Brundle-Fly

One of those litmus tests of whether you can trust or respect somebody depending on if they like or dislike The Monkees

R.I.P. Green Hat (as I used to call him as a kid)

Nowhere Man

I always really wanted that green hat, hell, I still do! I actually have one very similar to it now of course

I'm so glad that against all expectations The Monkees ended up having one of the greatest comeback albums of any 60s artist. (Good Times!)

Egyptian Feast

He looks cool as fuck in Head, which may be my favourite movie that isn't Repo Man, so he was a titan of cinema to me.

Couldn't find the war scene where his delivery of "He'll never make it through this intense bombardment" and subsequent mild surprise/disappointment always gets a laugh from me, but this'll do instead:

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 11, 2021, 06:40:38 PMHe looks cool as fuck in Head

Yeah, he was a sharp-looking MF in his '60s pomp.

I tried my damndest to look like him when I was in my twenties. Don't think I carried it off, but at least I gave it a go.

Tilt Araiza

Quote from: Keebleman on December 10, 2021, 10:07:01 PMDid you know his mum invented Tippex?  Yes, of course you did cos that is the first thing everyone is saying about him tonight.

Quote from: Keebleman on December 11, 2021, 10:53:59 AMAwoke today with this song in my head.  It's still there now and can stay all day as far as I'm concerned because it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N2JQfGBuw4

So beautiful.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 11, 2021, 01:21:58 PMOne of those litmus tests of whether you can trust or respect somebody depending on if they like or dislike The Monkees

You'd have to suspect that anyone who didn't like The Monkees was a wrong 'un.