Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum loading issues?

Started by Glebe, January 06, 2022, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

Quote from: Zetetic on January 20, 2022, 11:16:52 AMI currently reckon there are two broad problems:
- Some forum features are massively demanding, relative to the resources of the server, and possibly need to be disabled, just as the built-in search is. This likely includes "All Unread Topics" to be honest.

Makes sense. There's no real reason I have to use All Unread other than force of habit, so will use Recent Unread and see if that's better.

mothman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 20, 2022, 04:08:41 PMI have a theory that the forum went sentient and killed Neil years ago. Barry Admin isn't the account he uses to post, it's the forum itself. "Oh, I appear to have fallen over and hurt my leg really badly." How likely is that, even? Most humans fall over and their legs are absolutely fine afterwards. A bit of grazing, cuts and bruises at worst. No, I reckon it was just the forum pretending to be Neil, fishing for sympathy donations so it could buy a new graphics card. For wanking purposes.

Oh, Huxers, you and your whimsical flights of fancy. A forum becoming sentient? Preposterous!

Spoiler alert
It's obviously Jelly. And I for one welcome our new feline overlord.
[close]

olliebean

Quote from: earl_sleek on January 20, 2022, 05:57:00 PMMakes sense. There's no real reason I have to use All Unread other than force of habit, so will use Recent Unread and see if that's better.

Recent Unread seems just as prone to it here. Also quoting a post; jumps down to the Quick Reply box immediately but then can take bloody ages before the quote appears.

Basically using CaB these days involves making sure I have other forums/pages open to occupy my time in case I need to wait for ages while bits of CaB are loading.

pigamus

It is quite bad now, but the redesign went so well I feel bad for moaning

earl_sleek

Quote from: olliebean on January 20, 2022, 09:15:47 PMRecent Unread seems just as prone to it here. Also quoting a post; jumps down to the Quick Reply box immediately but then can take bloody ages before the quote appears.

Basically using CaB these days involves making sure I have other forums/pages open to occupy my time in case I need to wait for ages while bits of CaB are loading.

I've noticed a definite difference over the last day, although the whole site seems snappier.

The Ombudsman

I noticed it seemed very slow today. On several occasions refreshing the page took 30+ seconds. Also had a reply Take 15 seconds to save.

I'm not too familiar with MySQL But with SQL Server you could analyse the queries going on and find out ways to index your way out of the performance issues. And I'm sure the board bosses have already thought of this though. Out of interest, are the database and Web server on the same box?