Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RANK these British bands

Started by the science eel, January 08, 2022, 02:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on January 09, 2022, 02:26:51 PMYou people.

London band who were nearly 20 years ahead of their time.  I wouldn't feel safe calling it post-punk, it's a bit more evolved than that.

I've only listened to a few This Heat tracks but that was a long time ago. That link is great so I think a serious reinvestigation is going to have to take place.

Norton Canes

Erasure: Brigadier
Cream: Sixer
The Fall: Petty Officer
XTC: Chief Constable
The Hollies: Major
Hawkwind: Rear Admiral
Oasis: Privates
This Heat: Wing Commander 

sutin

Best to worst...

The Fall
XTC
Oasis
The Hollies
Erasure
Cream
Hawkwind

Never heard...

This Heat

KennyMonster

Quote from: sutin on January 10, 2022, 03:59:34 PMBest to worst...

The Fall
XTC
Oasis
The Hollies
Erasure
Cream
Hawkwind

Never heard...

This Heat

Oasis better than some band I've never heard of before called "This Heat", WTF?!!?!?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: the science eel on January 09, 2022, 12:09:27 AMSee....I'd say 'how can you like The Fall AND Erasure?' but that kind of statement usually brings out supercilious remarks along the lines of 'I'm equally comfortable with McDonalds fries as I am a five-course meal in a three-star Michelin restaurant'

but it IS strange that you like both. It IS

I think it IS strange that you have this opinion and state it repeatedly. Why put Erasure on the list in the first place if you think nobody should list them anywhere near bands you do like? Also, your list is missing King Kurt, Blue, The Edgar Broughton Band, Cradle of Filth, Genesis and The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

the science eel

Egyptian Feast

I wouldn't have them on mine either. I only like 'Blue Monday' and a few others.

purlieu

XTC
This Heat
The Hollies
Oasis
Erasure
Hawkwind
Cream
The Fall

Hex Triplet

So the band that loses gets erased from history, right?

chveik

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on January 09, 2022, 12:09:27 AMSee....I'd say 'how can you like The Fall AND Erasure?' but that kind of statement usually brings out supercilious remarks along the lines of 'I'm equally comfortable with McDonalds fries as I am a five-course meal in a three-star Michelin restaurant'

but it IS strange that you like both. It IS

I'm equally comfortable with food made by a grumpy haute chief who might leave the odd fag end in the sauce and an ice cream sundae parlor who overdo the hundreds and thousands but still use good quality products.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 11, 2022, 01:05:51 PMSo the band that loses gets erased from history, right?

Erasured from history.

the science eel

Quote from: greenman on January 11, 2022, 01:27:15 PMI'm equally comfortable with food made by a grumpy haute chief who might leave the odd fag end in the sauce and an ice cream sundae parlor who overdo the hundreds and thousands but still use good quality products.

I like it when they leave their shoes in the sauce.

Sign they took the job seriously

holyzombiejesus

The Fall
The Hollies
XTC
This Heat
Erasure
Hawkwind
Cream
Oasis

sevendaughters

I like the gulag-commandant led sloprock of The Fall and the sparkly NRG pop of Erasure as they're pretty much the best at What They Do. Don't see how they're incompatible. This isn't The Face vs NME.

the science eel

It's not that they're incompatible, and of course I do completely understand the fact that many people's tastes are eclectic and all the rest of it.

HOWEVER

purlieu

It's fair, Erasure are decent and The Fall are abysmal, it does suggest a bizarre contradiction in taste.

Video Game Fan 2000

XTC are the hardest to rate or rank for me, because aside from their very first and very last record, I think a small chunk of their material is exactly as good as their fans say and the rest I find annoying and difficult to listen to.

For every River of Orchids or Respectable Street there's got to be six Shake Your Donkey Up, Melt the Guns or Smartest Monkey

the science eel

Video Game Fan 2000

That just sounds like also-ran post punk to me. It doesn't belong in the oubliette next to Here Comes President Kill Again

the science eel

Video Game Fan 2000

Oh shit yeah

do they have a song called Septic Tank then?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 11, 2022, 07:18:34 PMFor every River of Orchids or Respectable Street there's got to be six Shake Your Donkey Up, Melt the Guns or Smartest Monkey

I'm not particularly a fan of XTC (except for the Dukes of Stratosphear eps) but Melt the Guns is a great track. I'm baffled you put it in the cons.

As to this thread, I keep coming back to it but I still can't see what the point of it is. What is the connection between the acts that would make ranking them meaningful?

the science eel

Does it have to be meaningful?

Icehaven

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 11, 2022, 01:05:51 PMSo the band that loses gets erased from history, right?

It's already happened, this thread is set in an alternate reality where none of us have heard of This Heat.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on January 11, 2022, 07:35:34 PM

worst thing ever

Fucking hell, mate, are you still carping about that clip all these years later? It's bloody brilliant, and you know it.

SteveDave

From my personal preference-

Oasis
Erasure
The Hollies
Hawkwind (from the 2 songs I've heard)
XTC
The Fall
Cream

I've never heard This Heat so I can't include them in this list.

purlieu

I think we need an Introduction to This Heat thread soon.