Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:58:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is This The Laziest Shit, Ever?

Started by Bently Sheds, January 10, 2022, 07:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: grainger on January 15, 2022, 06:45:31 PMIt's sampling. You can't legally include samples of copyrighted in your track without permission from the copyright holder.

Ah okay then.
I assumed because it's been tampered with in such a way it would be legally distinct.

purlieu

Yeah, I can't imagine Bandcamp would ever go through every single release looking for covers and samples. It just covers them and acts as a guideline.

Sampling without permission is technically illegal up to a point, but it happens so much that, for the most part, people don't care. Especially when it's tiny DIY artists. I've used so many samples over the years, one guy once emailed me to thank me for the interest in his track and asked if I'd be so kind as to include a credit, it's probably the only time anyone has noticed or cared though.

M-CORP

Quote from: purlieu on January 15, 2022, 07:21:42 PMSampling without permission is technically illegal up to a point, but it happens so much that, for the most part, people don't care. Especially when it's tiny DIY artists. I've used so many samples over the years, one guy once emailed me to thank me for the interest in his track and asked if I'd be so kind as to include a credit, it's probably the only time anyone has noticed or cared though.

I've done some of my own stuff and have on occasion sampled other people's stuff; obscure BBC2 ident music and the like. Because I'm a tiny DIY artist it does indeed slip under the net. I upload it to Spotify via a website called Routenote, and occaisionally they will refuse to upload stuff because there's dialogue from an old advert, but if you sample a piece of music they don't flag it because that's harder to detect. Unless it's something well-known like the Amen break, for instance.

As for vaporwave, yes, overobsession with the 80s can shove it up its arse (to put it mildly), even if there was a lot of good music then. (Some of which can be seen in my current avatar because I'm not obnoxious like that.) AND yes, any old idiot can slow a song down and cover it in reverb and claim they're a genius, yes, well done them.

That said, one vaporwave album I know of (the only one, in fact) is an album by Youtuber Applemask  under the name 'Girl In Sportscar'. One well-known Simply Red track is sampled at one point, but for the most part, it's mainly Ceefax music, with all its connotations of angst and insomnia. It may be that I'm too unfamiliar with vaporwave, or too familiar with Applemask's poverty and personal issues, but I think 'The Context Of Collapse' does a decent job of 'setting a mood'. The track 'Sextant' in particular sounds like multiple samples used to create something new, unlike apparently the album that began this thread.

https://girlinsportscar.bandcamp.com/album/the-context-of-collapse

purlieu

Oof, I stopped using Routenote because I couldn't prove that I had permission to use spoken word from a royalty free sample site that went offline, and they kept asking me for sources of samples which were me doing spoken word bits. They also refused to add an album because one track featured loud distortion which could damage listeners' hearing. I pointed out that Merzbow's Pulse Demon was on the same services I was trying to add to, to no avail.

M-CORP

All pretty familiar! The worst scenario was when I wanted to upload a track featuring audio samples of news reporters talking about Princess Diana. They asked about the sample, I gave them the link as a way of proving it was a royalty-free site in the public domain... not good enough. Also had loud distorted tracks turned down.
They even got confused the first time I used them, and thought a track of mine that had no samples whatsoever sampled a specific song. Supplied the screenshots to prove otherwise! I soldier on with it cos I'd rather edit songs and direct people to my BandCamp page so they can buy the 'producer's cut', so to speak, than have to spend good chunks of money on services like Distrokid.

Midas

Quote from: grainger on January 15, 2022, 06:47:08 PMEither they have permission, or perhaps they're breaking the terms and conditions. Maybe Bandcamp don't enforce their rules unless someone reports a breach, or maybe the condition is only there to cover Bandcamp if the person with publishing rights gets lawyery.

Aye, I suspect it's the latter.

I've never really cared for the intricacies of copyright law but I've always thought generally artists didn't need to obtain permission to release covers?

Midas

Not massively relevant and I may just be a contrarian cunt but I feel like Blandcamp lost *something* when the (relatively) larger artists and labels started dumping their music onto it.

Like, I don't think Warp Records (for example) actually upholds the (ostensive) values Brandcamp promotes (pseudo-transperency, supporting artists directly, etc.), especially not when there's a backdoor deal between the label and producer that we're not privvy to. Buying a Boards of Canada album on Bandcamp is not the same as giving a fiver to an artist spitting out poorly-dubbed tapes made in their bedroom, yet I feel like somebody wants me to think it is. Would Boards of Canada actually get anything from my purchase?