Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not using question marks

Started by shiftwork2, January 13, 2022, 09:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

I think this sort of thing is popular with the kind of person who wants to release their unfiltered ideas into the ether without any thought given as to the quality of the experience of the reader and the fatigue they are likely to suffer from wading through a wall of disorganised text which may or may not demand a response or be in response to something else or imply some other context but ultimately it doesn't really matter the point is that everybody is writing and nobody is reading so hurry up and get it out of your system and scroll on past because the next person wants a turn

chveik

idunnosomename

touchingcloth

Has anyone ever noticed that there are some people who use spaces before question marks ?

I've not seen it for a while but it feels like a couple of years ago it was quite common actually ?

the science eel

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 16, 2022, 11:04:08 AMHas anyone ever noticed that there are some people who use spaces before question marks ?

I've not seen it for a while but it feels like a couple of years ago it was quite common actually ?

what's worse is the tendency to use the space on the wrong side of the comma ,that really fucks me off

or, just using commas, where there's no need

dissolute ocelot

Be like Emily Dickinson — and just use — dashes —
For everything —

Although I've noticed people do that with ellipses...
Or even comma ellipses,,,

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 16, 2022, 11:56:08 AMBe like Emily Dickinson — and just use — dashes —
For everything —

Although I've noticed people do that with ellipses...
Or even comma ellipses,,,

It's what made me fuck Ulysses into the bin when Joyce decided that a dash would be a great substitute for a pair of quote marks.

- oh, I'm James Joyce and I like writing about Dublin and inventing words for particle physicists to use

Fuck off.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 16, 2022, 11:04:08 AMHas anyone ever noticed that there are some people who use spaces before question marks ?

That's how you do it if you're French !

zomgmouse

i love when people use dashes but i hate when they don't put a space before them- like this

Sebastian Cobb

touchingcloth

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 16, 2022, 11:46:20 PMi love when people use dashes but i hate when they don't put a space before them- like this

The coolest kids—like this guy—know when to use em dashes.

Sebastian Cobb

zomgmouse

kittens

girlfriend sometimes does this. i ask her why she does it when she knows the rules. she says she don't know. wilful rule-breaking. i note it down in my jotter. there will be a reckoning.

Have you checked if she is French?

TrenterPercenter

I really do wonder the levels of tedium some people must be in to give a shit about any of this.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 17, 2022, 03:44:41 PMI really do wonder the levels of tedium some people must be in to give a shit about any of this.

Spoken like a true question mark non-user.

What are your feelings about sugma?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 19, 2022, 12:41:54 AMSpoken like a true question mark non-user.

What are your feelings about sugma?

Written at nearly 1am, replying to a post from 9 hours earlier. Standard angry boi behaviour.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 19, 2022, 11:14:59 AMWritten at nearly 1am, replying to a post from 9 hours earlier. Standard angry boi behaviour.

I'm just really interested in what you think about sugma. I didn't realise there was a limit on how much time I had to ask you about sugma. I clearly don't understand how forums work :-(

TrenterPercenter

I think you can sugma dick angry boi

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 19, 2022, 12:57:36 PMI think you can sugma dick angry boi

Thank you for your interesting and valuable feedback. It will be added to the sugma database.

TrenterPercenter

You are welcome my grammar enthused forum co-dweller.

Btw I'm just kidding about you being an angry boi I'm not even sure what that even means(question mark?) but I'm only just occasionally distracting myself with CaB today as got werk, so that is about the extent of the wit I can provide.