Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

noncebox

Started by Midas, January 17, 2022, 11:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

QuoteThe UK government is set to launch a multi-pronged publicity attack on end-to-end encryption, Rolling Stone has learned.

The Home Office has hired the M&C Saatchi advertising agency — a spin-off of Saatchi and Saatchi, which made the "Labour Isn't Working" election posters, among the most famous in UK political history — to plan the campaign, using public funds.

One of the activities considered as part of the publicity offensive is a striking stunt — placing an adult and child (both actors) in a glass box, with the adult looking "knowingly" at the child as the glass fades to black.

Quote"A glass box is installed in a public space," the presentation notes. "Inside the box, there are two actors; one child and one adult. Both strangers. The child sits playing on their smart phone. At the other end of the box, we see an adult sat on a chair also on their phone, typing away.

"The adult occasionally looks over at the child, knowingly. Intermittently through the day, the 'privacy glass' will turn on and the previously transparent glass box will become opaque. Passers by won't be able to see what's happening inside. In other words, we create a sense of unease by hiding what the child and adult are doing online when their interaction can't be seen."

One key aim of the exercise would, the document noted, be to "force Facebook to evaluate their sense of responsibility."

surely locking a child up with a nonce for the day is the opposite of what they want to achieve

also didn't david blaine already do something like this?

Alberon

This is the one thing we didn't want to happen.

JamesTC

Want to go there and just shout "get a room" at them.

Psybro

Two actors, probably. Strangers.  I'm just watching.

Blumf

So... the UK gov want to destroy the IT industry in the country?

Cold Meat Platter

Too many of these subscription services now.

Buelligan

It's everyday superheroes.

H-O-W-L

"It" hears those voices . It expands to the size of a 42 inch colour television set. Bang! They fall to the ground shrieking and the children are safe.

EOLAN

Quote from: Blumf on January 17, 2022, 11:58:27 PMSo... the UK gov want to destroy the IT industry in the country?

They need more ballerinas.

bgmnts

Put the Samsung in the fucking basket!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2022, 02:54:49 AMPut the Samsung in the fucking basket!

Karl Wallinger considers rewrite.

Cuellar

Imagine if they accidentally DID hire a nonce actor and the child actor actually got nonced.

It would be awful.

JamesTC

Quote from: Cuellar on January 18, 2022, 09:53:44 AMImagine if they accidentally DID hire a nonce actor and the child actor actually got nonced.
Quote from: Alberon on January 17, 2022, 11:25:38 PMThis is the one thing we didn't want to happen.

Butchers Blind

It will just be a crowd of nonces watching this putting their own mental images into the scenario. Culture secretary Nadine Dorres has gone too far this time.

Buelligan

Imagine if, instead of doing this performative shit, they put some serious effort and money into our societies, support services, the whole gamut.  Actually did something that helped with anything.

You know, we have, every few years, a guaranteed boil-bursting where some little helpless person is tortured to death and the support services around that child or baby always say, lack of resources, lack of support, lack of training, lack of money, lack of time. 

And we do nothing.

And we know, doing this, it will happen again. 

We all hate the peeds, right?  The kiddie abusers.  We'll burn their houses right down.  But we won't make our politicians lift a finger.  Not when it really comes down to it.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Cuellar on January 18, 2022, 09:53:44 AMImagine if they accidentally DID hire a nonce actor and the child actor actually got nonced.

It would be awful.

Has one ever been proven not a nonce?

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on January 18, 2022, 11:17:07 AMImagine if, instead of doing this performative shit, they put some serious effort and money into our societies, support services, the whole gamut.  Actually did something that helped with anything.

Even if you were determined to attack some technology on the basis that it enables and encourages the sexual abuse of children, there's a much more obvious candidate than "end-to-end encryption".

Zetetic

Quote from: Blumf on January 17, 2022, 11:58:27 PMSo... the UK gov want to destroy the IT industry in the country?
I'm sure our IT industry has some other interests than the sexual abuse of children...

Really it depends on whether controlling the use of encryption rapidly becomes an international consensus (again), and I reckon there are good reasons to imagine that it might do in the next decade or so.

Inspector Norse

If an act of noncing takes place inside a blacked-out glass box where nobody can see it, can it really be said to have occurred at all?

peanutbutter

Surely banning E2E encryption would ultimately just result in your nation's stupidest elected representatives being far more easy to compromise by other countries as they inevitably use unprotected channels. Like, whatever supposed upside it's meant to provide in terms of fascistic state control is going to be offset massively by that.

I'd've thought MI5 would far prefer the false sense of security of the existing system.

The UK government just basically admitting that Mark Zuckerberg runs the world now and there's absolutely fuck all anyone can do to stop him except advise their citizens to be angry about it.

Sure, they could cut them off by blocking access to Facebook services but, of course, they have their reasons for not wanting to do that.

madhair60

i'd go in the noncebox. i aint scared of no nonce.

Captain Z

Just another normal day in Britain.

Gurke and Hare

I'm struggling to see how banning Whatsapp would be good electoral politics.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 18, 2022, 12:33:40 PMIf an act of noncing takes place inside a blacked-out glass box where nobody can see it, can it really be said to have occurred at all?

Funnily enough

https://futurism.com/schrodinger-pedophile

(Realise you might not be alluding to this. Really it should be using quantum superposition to make someone both simultaneously a nonce and not a nonce)

Buelligan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 18, 2022, 12:42:06 PMThe UK government just basically admitting that Mark Zuckerberg runs the world now and there's absolutely fuck all anyone can do to stop him except advise their citizens to be angry about it.

Sure, they could cut them off by blocking access to Facebook services but, of course, they have their reasons for not wanting to do that.

It's odd.  Says something about the way this ballroom is run.  You know, we've had, say, Murdoch, running things.  Controlling public opinion.  It wasn't good for society, not good for democracy or the balance of beauty, logic, joy, in the fucking universe.  No.  And we all saw it.

So, when it looks like his grip on our throats could be broken, what do our leaders allow to happen, choose to do, with the replacement?

superthunderstingcar

You probably don't remember Derek Sibling, but he was one of the best actors I have ever encountered. The brightest in his year at Rada, he trod out one of the best Henry Vs I've ever seen. All seemed to be going well for him, then he burst onto the scene noncing a child actor in a glass box.

Butchers Blind

Can I just add that I don't like nonces and I hope the child wins in this.

imitationleather