Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,479
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poo River

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 19, 2022, 08:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteUntreated sewage is being dumped illegally in rivers across the country on a regular basis, analysis shown to the BBC suggests.

It found seven water companies in England and Wales discharged untreated sewage into rivers and the sea more than 3,000 times between 2017 and 2021.

The water industry admitted action was needed to address the problem...

Peter Hammond, a retired professor of computational biology and also a campaigner with Windrush Against Sewage Pollution, said the statistics showed that the water industry was flouting poor regulation by the Environment Agency.

"In some cases, multiple sewage works are spilling into the same river causing damage for long periods of time, sometimes spilling as long as four months, six months almost without a break," he said...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60040162

So the water companies admit action is needed. That's all right then. We should re-nationalise the water industry because the private water companies clearly can't stop dumping turds in them.

madhair60

Does anyone remember To Me To You, the game show starring the Chuckle Brothers? Thread title reminded me of it

Goldentony

I want you all to know that I was proud

Fambo Number Mive

I don't remember it but I think the Chuckle Brothers would do a better job of running the water companies than some of their current CEOs.

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't this allowed now, unfortunately?

The Dog

Turds should be tagged so any strays can be reunited with their owners.

shoulders

It was turd slalom wild swimming in the river Forsk last Thursday.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ah well thanks to Brexit the UK won't have to pay any fines to the EU

Captain Z

In one of the many Brexit threads there was a link to a great website that very clearly laid out all the stats on EU legislation the UK had voted for/against. Basically, out of ~17000 laws passed during our membership, the UK had only had around 40 "forced on us", i.e. we voted against but the EU passed them anyway. The majority of those related to water quality, i.e. we disagreed that our rivers/ponds/seas should be as clean as the EU standard required.

I have searched for this in the intervening years and come up with nothing, if anyone remembers that site it would be fun to see it again.

Sebastian Cobb

Similarly one of the worst potential aspects of the EU would've been TTIP of it went through, which is unlikely to be happening now because the UK were the ones pushing it heavily and (I think) the French were quite against it.

Of course a lot of the shitty aspects of that will be rolled into any potential trade deal with the US.

Fambo Number Mive

A shame "our rivers and seas will be full of human faeces" wasn't chosen as the slogan for that bus.

Vote Leave, paddle in turds. Maybe that's something a lot of Leavers enjoy doing. Use your net to catch some really impressive turds and take them home in a bucket.

Butchers Blind

Get David Walliams to swim in poo river.

mattyc

...wider than a mile

Two floaters, off to see the world...

canadagoose

Quote from: madhair60 on January 19, 2022, 08:46:39 AMDoes anyone remember To Me To You, the game show starring the Chuckle Brothers? Thread title reminded me of it
Yes, yes I do. I watched it on BBC2 before school on occasion. It wasn't as good as ChuckleVision. Wasn't it set on a tropical island or something?

JesusAndYourBush

It's because the fine for dumping raw sewage is less than it costs to deal with it properly.  The relevant authorities just need to increase the fine so it's more than it costs to treat it properly and they'll stop dumping it.

Oh, and...
Robbie Robertson considers rewrite

MojoJojo

Well, the problem is an overloaded sewer network that drains rainwater as well as sewage, so whenever there is heavy rain it overflows sewage into the rivers along with the rainwater. Fixing it requires massive investment that won't pay back for many years, which is the sort of thing you need governments to do rather than private businesses.

I don't think you can realistically fine the companies enough to make them make the necessary investment - upgrading will be some multiple of their total yearly income.

(I'm making numbers up.)

Buelligan

Luckily the market will resolve it.  If you continue to fill your water with human excrement, given a long enough timeline, eventually, you'll force people to die of cholera and other Victorian diseases. 

Once they're happily dead, you'll have less shit to deal with.  Everyone wins!

Twit 2

Shit Good Nose

What a time to be a wild swimmer.

canadagoose

To go on-topic for a minute, it's also a problem here. The River Esk at Musselburgh was reported to be manky recently, with various sanitary products, wet wipes and diarrhoea along its banks. And the less said about the Water of Leith after rainfall the better. How do we stop this? Massive upgrades of sewage systems?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: canadagoose on January 19, 2022, 06:34:00 PMHow do we stop this? Massive upgrades of sewage systems?

Water and sewerage price rises similar to what we're seeing for gas, electricity and oil. 

I wish I was joking, but that's exactly what they'll say is the only solution.

madhair60

Imagine just SHITTING.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't have to imagine it.

The Dog

The future of shitting? Digital.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Dog on January 19, 2022, 10:20:23 PMThe future of shitting? Digital.

Are they banning bog roll or something?

Quote from: canadagoose on January 19, 2022, 06:34:00 PMHow do we stop this? Massive upgrades of sewage systems?
Pretty much.

Ensure all urban wastewater treatment plants are of sufficient capacity to handle the volume of wastewater from the agglomeration they're serving

Upgrade to best available technology if appropriate

Divert all surface water/storm water to a separate storm water sewer to avoid flooding/overload of urban WWTPs

The only way you'll get private companies to do this is if the government either fines the bejesus out of them or gives them arseloads of cash to do the work. Renationalising water and sewer treatment would be better but likely impossible.

The Dog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2022, 10:27:53 PMAre they banning bog roll or something?

No, but you'll be limited to 16 bits.

canadagoose

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 10:31:56 PMPretty much.

Ensure all urban wastewater treatment plants are of sufficient capacity to handle the volume of wastewater from the agglomeration they're serving

Upgrade to best available technology if appropriate

Divert all surface water/storm water to a separate storm water sewer to avoid flooding/overload of urban WWTPs

The only way you'll get private companies to do this is if the government either fines the bejesus out of them or gives them arseloads of cash to do the work. Renationalising water and sewer treatment would be better but likely impossible.
I mean, our water / sewerage (in Scotland) is nationalised in the first place, so that's a start I guess.

Quote from: canadagoose on January 19, 2022, 10:45:46 PMI mean, our water / sewerage (in Scotland) is nationalised in the first place, so that's a start I guess.
So is ours (Ireland). The problem here is decades and decades of underfunding. The government stupidly tried to bring in water charges in the depths of a recession, instead of in the early aughts when people had money and would've grumbled but paid them, and promptly had to get rid of them. Shame, because we really need a pot of money that's ring-fenced for water and wastewater infrastructure.

shiftwork2

Reckon it's 3000 little tods over four years, otherwise known as my output.