Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trip out on this... it's the modern psych thread, dude

Started by The Mollusk, January 19, 2022, 05:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

have u guys heard this band called tame impala, did u know that it's just one guy who does the whole thing

So, amidst all the inevitably tacky revivalist shite, as always there is some gold in them thar hills. I'm gonna talk about a few bands/artists here to open the thread.

The Soundcarriers - Woof, I've not listened to this band in maybe a decade after falling madly in love with their 2010 album "Celeste". I was reminded of them the other day when hearing that they're back after a whopping 8 year hiatus with a new forthcoming album. GREAT.

This band is fuckin' marvellous. Deffo one for fans of Broadcast but also a little more worldly, having a strong whiff of stuff like vintage French pop and exotica in the mix too. I'm a total sucker for woodwind in psychedelic music and so I get swept off in the warm breeze of this band very easily, accompanied by Manzarek-style keyboard solos and those lush plucked basslines and dusty drums we all know and love so much.

Chris Cohen - Former guitarist for Deerhoof who has released three short, sweet and wonderfully understated records since 2012. No flashy flourishes and no big bells and whistles here, the dude just has a knack for a dreamy melody and his records are so warmly produced that you can't help but sink into them. There's something foggy and nostalgic about his music, and from the very first time I heard the album "Overgrown Path" I knew I'd be soaking it up for many years to come.

Tim Presley / White Fence - Two-time collaborator with the highly prolific Ty Segall, Presley made some great tape-warped lo-fi stuff at the start of his career, but 2014's "For the Recently Found Innocent" and 2019's excellently titled "I Have to Feed Larry's Hawk" are where he really excelled as a songwriter. I would consider him to be the nearest modern day equivalent to Syd Barrett, having the same truly eccentric melodic ear and genuine sense of whimsy and idiosyncrasy, which is very hard to find these days without feeling contrived.

"Larry's Hawk" is mostly a rather hushed and laid back affair which demonstrates his skills far better than his previous records, in that the music speaks for itself without needing to be excessively quirky or hide behind walls of reverb. One of the best releases of that year for me, without a doubt.

Dungen - Highly ambitious and frankly criminally underrated Swedish group which - yes, like Tame Impala - is mostly the work of one guy, the multi-instrumentalist Gustav Ejstes. From fuzzy freakouts to heavy drum stomps to gorgeous soaring woodwind melodies, Dungen are an enthralling and very fun band indeed. More often than not I find myself thinking of them as a more wild and proggy Super Furry Animals. Listen to "Panda" below and you'll see what I mean right away.

Whoa, man... Let me just get my head together here!

Lil Ugly Mane, who I understand is one of those rappers they have now (you've seen them) unexpectedly put out this album of dark, druggy psyche pop last year called VOLCANIC BIRD ENEMY AND THE VOICED CONCERN. I think it's really good.

The Mollusk

Yeah it's one of the best (admittedly from a very short list of it wasn't some form of metal) things I heard last year. It reminds me a lot of Eels but I don't like Eels so I'd like to piss off a load of indie nerds by saying it's better than Eels. I couldn't stop playing it on repeat for about 4 days straight, it crawled right into my brain like a drunk and depressed worm and refused to stop sulking in there.

Johnny Yesno

nick nicely does excellent modern British psyche. For example:

Whirlpool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6ludmr9Mg

London South: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjVlBb_ujJ4

Both from the album Space of a Second: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kU0Lmlkkb_kVu9-qu8BZe_-znwVdSWbzU

and

Souvenir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-2dOYySZHg

from Sleep Safari: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m9ioT53jFVH65s2T_CkgLWhXDWGyRcc2M

I'm glad this topic came up, as looking for the nicely stuff above made me aware that he has recently been releasing singles on Bandcamp: https://nicknicely1.bandcamp.com/music

SteveDave

Imagine if Tame Impala had actual tunes! The Lazy Eyes were my favourite new band of last year. Their hair is uniformly awful though. The guitarist in that video is one pair of glasses away from Leather And Lenses.

Their other songs are more psych-y but I bloody love that one ^^^

purlieu

Idlewild frontman Roddy Woomble's solo material has been heading in this direction recently, his latest album Lo! Soul is a wonderful electronic-tinged psych pop album.

Martin Newell has generally kept the modern incarnation of Cleaners from Venus in the Kinks-esque pop direction for the most part, but there are a few more evocative sweeping tracks in there, like this glorious piece:

Cranium Pie do some really authentic sounding prog psych, their Mechanisms albums are worth a listen.

Their Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble mix albums are generally more consistent than their original music (and I say this is as a FSOL megafan), but The Amorphous Androgynous's We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal is pretty excellent.

spaghetamine

(Legend) Gary War anyone? His most recent record - the wonderfully titled Gaz Forth - is a hazy but surprisingly coherent take on the genre. Ideal for lysergic journeys.

Some stuff from the late great Sam Mehran released under his Outer Limits Recordings alias is very psychedelic.

Vermont-based husband and wife duo MV & EE put out some of the cosiest psychedelia around. Earthy yet cosmic. It'll put a spring in your step and a sparkle in your eye!

Don't know anything about the artist (Nabihah Iqbal) but a friend linked me this tune the other day and it's the absolute tits.

Very happy to see nick nicely getting some love anyway, the man's a genius and a lovely bloke too.

SteveDave

As mentioned by JohnnyYesNo, nick nicely has one of the greatest singles ever made. In 1982. That somehow sounds like 1967, 1980 and 1997 all at the same time

gilbertharding

I don't really know what psychedelic means (does 'stoner' count?)... but if Nick Nicely is 'modern', then so is this:

False Heavy, by The Heads

Ahhh... Dungen. I first heard of them from my days loafing around the Popbitch messageboard, where there was an actual saying, "yeah - they're good, but they're no Dungen." That was around the time of Ta Det Lungt, so 2004 ish. And, when Tame Impala first came out, I thought they were just an Australian Dungen - and so I liked them. And, God Damn It - I still like em.

Anyone mentioned Black Angels yet?

Earthless, Fu Manchu, Nebula... are these psych?

Brundle-Fly

Morgan Delt is worth investigating if you like the purple fayre.

Johnny Yesno

gilbertharding

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 20, 2022, 06:18:38 PMIt's this century!

(And the Bandcamp stuff is from last year)

Right you are! I'd not heard of him since Hilly Fields.

Brundle-Fly

Crabwalk

I'm not overly taken with the new Soundcarriers album yet, if I'm honest. It sounds a bit meeker and more conventional than their incredible previous albums, especially its mighty predecessor Entropicalia.

Speaking of that album, it's finally been reissued today and you can get it on vinyl at last, without paying a hundred quid.

https://the-soundcarriers.bandcamp.com/album/entropicalia

Given that it was originally put out by Ghostbox and with (gorgeous) Julian House artwork that's now been replaced, I'm guessing there's been some sort of rift between the label and band? Maybe that accounts for the 8 year wait between records?