Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

anyone heard about this "when we were young" fest controversy?

Started by willbo, January 20, 2022, 09:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

On first glance, I thought Paramore didn't fit in - but that's because I only know them from their last album (2017), which I thought was an alright bit of pop. Turns out it was their worst seller and their commercial peak (in America) was a decade earlier and even after that, they had two UK chart topping albums that I had no idea about. Oh well.

Jimmy Eat World's 'Bleed America' was quite enjoyable too, but I doubt I could fill two sides of a single from my knowledge of everyone else on that bill.

purlieu

I first thought this was a scam because I had no idea Thursday had got back together. It's a shame they're more remembered for their earlier stuff than their later post-rock/post-hardcore crossover albums which are fucking great.

What in God's name are Wolf Alice even doing on there, though? They're absolutely nothing to do with this kind of music.

chveik

willbo

Quote from: purlieu on January 21, 2022, 03:29:57 PMI first thought this was a scam because I had no idea Thursday had got back together. It's a shame they're more remembered for their earlier stuff than their later post-rock/post-hardcore crossover albums which are fucking great.

What in God's name are Wolf Alice even doing on there, though? They're absolutely nothing to do with this kind of music.

so Thursday and Thrice have both gone in a post/prog direction?

purlieu

I've only heard a few bits of Thrice's more experimental era, and Thursday's stuff is definitely very different, but yes, they both moved a long way away from more conventional early '00s emo. Thursday's last three albums were produced by Mercury Rev's Dave Fridmann and had a very overt post-rock sound:

It kind of feeds back into their origins, when they listed Mogwai and Joy Division as influences alongside US screamo stuff, before they had their moment in the sun with a couple of defining emo albums that I really find cringey these days.

They broke up in 2011 after one of them cheated with another's wife really seemed like the end of the band so I was really surprised to discover they were back together.

Goldentony

sorry but unless this takes place in a waiting room with no lights and each band plays for max 12 minutes its NOT an emo festival

Kankurette

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 21, 2022, 11:45:37 AMMy Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Wolf Alice, Alkaline Trio, all ace bands. A couple of great up and coming pop punk bands like The Linda Lindas and Meet Me @ The Altar further down the bill as well.

Some formidable stuff that fans of that wave of emo (but not me personally) would absolutely lap up too, like Thursday, The Used, Dashboard Confessional, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Boys Like Girls, Glassjaw and Bright Eyes, all of whom were very popular in the early/mid 2000s.

Regardless of the fact this may well be a disaster of poor organisational skills from a shit corporation, for a large group of people who got into emo around the turn of the millenium this is a huge lineup. Youse are cynical as fuck sometimes, and I say that as someone who's extremely cynical.
And Rival Schools! I saw them at Reading 2002, they were fun.

Noodle Lizard

It's official, but definitely a little suspicious. Feels fan-made and logistically improbable, like one of those fake Coachella line-up announcements. Then again, not many of these bands are in high demand anymore, so it makes sense that they'd be free to head to Vegas for a lark.

My Chemical Romance, on the other hand, were leagues ahead of the rest in terms of success and are fresh off their reunion (for which, I believe, they only managed to play one show so far due to COVID - I was there, Thursday were the opening act, it was underwhelming overall). I can't imagine the finances working out unless they're paying most of the other acts very little - which, again, they may be able to since most of them are over and done with.

I went through a big MCR/The Used phase when I was a teenager, although it's all a bit embarrassing now and I never really liked much of the other stuff that surrounded that particular musical moment. Bright Eyes/Jimmy Eat World/Dashboard Confessional belonged to an entirely different school of "emo", so it's a little strange to see them lumped in there. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing Conor Oberst would go for, but who knows. Bring Me The Horizon is another strange addition - I'm sure there are countless crossover fans, but most of the other stuff predates their career entirely, and they were unexpectedly successful (selling out Wembley etc.) until fairly recently.

EDIT: It's called "When We Were Young", a retrospective of all the bands slightly emo teens liked in the 2000s, and it takes place in Las Vegas. Neither Panic! At The Disco or The Killers on the bill, however.

lazyhour

Strong Tim Heidecker Electric Sun Festival vibes from this.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Kankurette on January 21, 2022, 09:05:50 PMAnd Rival Schools! I saw them at Reading 2002, they were fun.

You had me scouring the lineup then as I thought I'd somehow missed them, but they're not there right?

They are great though, or at least that one album "United by Fate" is. It's the only one I've heard but didn't bother with the rest since that record is fucking brilliant, a classic of the post-hardcore genre that maybe gets overlooked by diehard knobhead fanbases on account of its grunge/pop-punk leanings.

H-O-W-L

It's supposedly real but it's gonna be a scam anyway. It's a one day festival. With three stages for all those bands. Hosted by the cunts that got kids killed at Astroworld.

Car crash, mate. Car crash.

amateur

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 21, 2022, 11:00:50 PMYou had me scouring the lineup then as I thought I'd somehow missed them, but they're not there right?

They are great though, or at least that one album "United by Fate" is. It's the only one I've heard but didn't bother with the rest since that record is fucking brilliant, a classic of the post-hardcore genre that maybe gets overlooked by diehard knobhead fanbases on account of its grunge/pop-punk leanings.

Used For Glue is fucking brilliant, will always sound good that one. Big Refused vibes who were before and better than most of this shower.

If the way this works is every band below the headliners does three songs, fucking great! I only want to see Thursday do "Signals Over The Air" anyway.

PlanktonSideburns

H-O-W-L

Also tickets are $220 and it's in Vegas so uh yeah good luck

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 21, 2022, 11:45:37 AMMy Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Wolf Alice, Alkaline Trio, all ace bands. A couple of great up and coming pop punk bands like The Linda Lindas and Meet Me @ The Altar further down the bill as well.

Some formidable stuff that fans of that wave of emo (but not me personally) would absolutely lap up too, like Thursday, The Used, Dashboard Confessional, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Boys Like Girls, Glassjaw and Bright Eyes, all of whom were very popular in the early/mid 2000s.

Regardless of the fact this may well be a disaster of poor organisational skills from a shit corporation, for a large group of people who got into emo around the turn of the millenium this is a huge lineup. Youse are cynical as fuck sometimes, and I say that as someone who's extremely cynical.

Yeah, if this was run as a proper festival (multiple days with appropriate lengths of set, for example), it would be a huge amount of fun. There's only really Jimmy Eat World and Alkaline Trio that I'd go out of my way to see individually, but I think most of the bands on the bill have at least one song that I'd be happy see performed as part of an enthusiastic crowd.

madhair60

He calls the mansion not a house but a tomb
He's always choking from the stench and the fume
The wedding party all collapsed in the room
So send my resignation to the bride and the groom

Jockice

I looked at the poster and thought: "What on earth are Dead Can Dance doing on there?" Then realised it said Dance  Gavin Dance, who I've never heard of in my life until now.

The Mollusk

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 23, 2022, 11:08:58 AMWhen even mention this

I did stop being down with the kids before this century even started you know.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: imitationleather on January 21, 2022, 12:40:00 AMIt's like a Who's Who of bands that I absolutely fucking hated when I was at school!

same. I've got a friends whatsapp group going beserk over this and I had no idea any of them were even in to these bands, the way they carry on about what I listen to sometimes, I'm stunned.

fair enough it's their money but bloody hell, the whole thing sounds like an utter mess/swindle.

tossapot

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 22, 2022, 03:35:50 PMIt's supposedly real but it's gonna be a scam anyway. It's a one day festival. With three stages for all those bands. Hosted by the cunts that got kids killed at Astroworld.

Car crash, mate. Car crash.

Hosted by the biggest live music promoter in the world that put on virtually every big music event and festival in the US.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: tossapot on January 23, 2022, 04:40:37 PMHosted by the biggest live music promoter in the world that put on virtually every big music event and festival in the US.

... In the wake of one where they got several people killed in a negligent crush they're currently being sued and prosecuted for.

badaids

Why don't they have one big stage with all 40 odd bands playing on it at the same time and save everyone's time. Will sound exactly the same.

Johnny Yesno

The Mollusk

Just sounds a lot like "I've never heard of this band so they must be shite" to me.

Pauline Walnuts

He wondered why a group called 'Dead Can Dance' was playing, who are an unlikely bands to be appearing on a line up such as that, but only because he mistook the name 'Dean Can Dance' for a group called 'Dance Gavin Dance'; which is a name he had never heard of.

At no stage was a subjective opinion the quality of 'Dance Gavin Dance' mentioned.

The Mollusk

I'm super glad I let myself become embroiled in such a captivating chunk of human thought

bgmnts

Usually I've never even heard of them implies they must not have been that big. The way I'd use it anyway.

I'm just gutted that I'm so old and fucked now. May as well jump off a bridge.