Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:45:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bat Back to Hell

Started by The Mollusk, January 21, 2022, 08:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Please, a Meat Loaf has died.

The Mollusk

I was never really a fan of his music but I can't deny the dude was a legend. The tunes were just too much, man. Too epic. I appreciate the value of that stuff but it isn't for me. I remember my stepmum playing that "Dashboard Light" one once and I was thinking "Jesus what the fuck is this, when is this song going to end?" but I respect the knowing bombast and absurdity of it. I am after all a huge fan of "Total Eclipse of the Heart", another Steinman OTT banger.

RIP MEAT

famethrowa

A Real Dead Singer For Love

Tony Tony Tony

Heaven Can't Wait

RIP True Legend

madhair60

Historical offences come to light in three. two

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on January 21, 2022, 08:44:48 AMHistorical offences come to light in three. two

The Official Meatloaf Twitter Account, which hasn't tweeted in two years, has loads of quite old replies to it insinuating that he was a climate change denier.

He drove a bus in Spiceworld, but what was the other film he drove a bus in?

The Mollusk

Favourite memory of the man is on Bo Selecta when Avid is at some awards bash (BRITs?) chatting to slebs on the carpet and Meat Loaf booms in his face "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR NECK". His musical legacy will never top that for me.

Goldentony

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 21, 2022, 08:50:13 AMHe drove a bus in Spiceworld, but what was the other film he drove a bus in?

MINGE HUNTER

shiftwork2

There was something about Bat Out Of Hell that made overlooked bits of America seem exciting to me when I was quite young.  He shifted a fuck-fuck-ton of units of it anyway.

RIP big fella

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 21, 2022, 08:50:13 AMHe drove a bus in Spiceworld, but what was the other film he drove a bus in?

Roadie ( with Blondie)

Serious answer, cheers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

shoulders

Thanks Meatloaf for damning the human race to ecological suicide

Holiday On The Buses

Jerzy Bondov

Big fat sweaty musical theatre nerd who nevertheless fucked a lot. Well done Meat.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 21, 2022, 09:01:51 AMRoadie ( with Blondie)

Serious answer, cheers.

I haven't seen that but I think he briefly drove a bus in Leap of Faith (1992).

pupshaw

There's little doubt that Meatloaf deserves a big share of the credit for making "the album" such a huge success. He worked his sizeable tits off.

There's something of the Wayne's World about the story of the making of the album, and to me that's why I love it now after years of hating it and everyone who liked it. Two misfits who get a chance to make a massive legendary album with the top musicians, and then still nearly fail. Of course Todd Rundgren is the third vital ingredient in the recipe, but there's no need for a spotlight on him. It was the sweaty videos that did it.

Most of the album I think is quite weak though, once you do Paradise and the title track.

RIP Marv and fuck you for the climate-change denial.   

Tony Tony Tony

Nice potted history tribute on the BBC news site,

Here

The beeb clearly had his obit ready to go.

willbo

I never realised until recently that a lot of Bat's sound/feel was a parody of Springsteen's Born to Run

Barry Admin

Can we have just one of these threads not be full of shit puns.

There are three of these threads now.

Spoiler alert
and two of them ain't bad!
[close]

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 21, 2022, 10:28:34 AMCan we have just one of these threads not be full of shit puns.

Awww c'mon it's what we do best. Seems most CaBbers live for a celeb death.

In all seriousness I was surprisingly upset by the news this morning. As my own small tribute tonight I shall be raising a glass and playing Meatloaf LOUD.

famethrowa

Quote from: willbo on January 21, 2022, 10:24:43 AMI never realised until recently that a lot of Bat's sound/feel was a parody of Springsteen's Born to Run

I thought it was more just a straight ripoff? He had half of Springsteen's band playing on it, they were obviously chasing that sound (much like Dire Straits in 1980)

the science eel

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 21, 2022, 10:28:34 AMCan we have just one of these threads not be full of shit puns.

Just create a 'shit puns' section and dump all this fuckwittery in there.

You're the admin.

SweetPomPom

Not really a rip off, it's just very, very Roy Bittan.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: famethrowa on January 21, 2022, 11:31:58 AMI thought it was more just a straight ripoff? He had half of Springsteen's band playing on it, they were obviously chasing that sound (much like Dire Straits in 1980)

Reckon the similarities to Born to Run were very much down to Roy Bittan's playing style. I find that much like Rick Wakeman he has an easily (for me at least) identifiable sound.

Here's a quote from Bittan's Wikipedia page.

QuoteBittan played piano on Meat Loaf's 1977 hit album Bat Out of Hell. Composer Jim Steinman wanted Bittan for the album due to his love for Springsteen's early work, particularly on Born to Run. Following those sessions, Bittan regularly and nearly exclusively collaborated with Steinman, appearing on three more Meat Loaf albums

Edit: SPP above pretty much beat me to it.

The Mollusk

I tried to keep the balance from the offset by doing a shit pun and then adding my own personal take on his music.

Depending on my own personal connection to the person wot died I find myself either irked or amused (or both) by the puns, but broadly speaking pretty much any celeb death thread (and a lot of threads in general, tbh) tends to start with people exorcising their dreadful sense of humour before it moves on to more serious discussion of the person's life/work, which is what's already happening here.

famethrowa

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 21, 2022, 11:48:04 AMReckon the similarities to Born to Run were very much down to Roy Bittan's playing style. I find that much like Rick Wakeman he has an easily (for me at least) identifiable sound.

Don't forget Max Weinberg too!

fave Roy Bittan fast fact: He played piano on Ashes to Ashes.

Blue Jam

Quote from: pupshaw on January 21, 2022, 09:24:43 AMThere's little doubt that Meatloaf deserves a big share of the credit for making "the album" such a huge success. He worked his sizeable tits off.

"Bob had bitch tits"

Didn't he do more acting than music over the last 20 years? Is there a Deeper Into Movies thread yet?

Never liked The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I do like Fight Club. RIP Meat.

The Dog

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 21, 2022, 08:54:57 AMThere was something about Bat Out Of Hell that made overlooked bits of America seem exciting to me when I was quite young...

Not really into heavy metal, but I have to agree with this. Sad news.