Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Young vs Rogan & Spotify

Started by SpiderChrist, January 25, 2022, 07:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

I love Neil Young. he's getting pissy about The Joe Rogan Experience and demanding Spotify drop it.

"You can have Rogan or Young, not both."

Glebe

Good on you, Neil! Rogan is a fucking knob.

Goldentony

I think this ends up with Neil Young hitting the irons and STEPPING INTO THE OCTAGON

SteveDave

I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan but I imagine it all to be like this (stolen from Twitter)

Joe Rogan: hamburgers are good but I am trying to eat less pork

Guest: hamburgers are made with beef

Joe Rogan: ham is from pork it says ham in hamburger

Guest: it is beef

Joe Rogan: that's not what I've heard Jamie look that up

Jamie: it beef

Guest: it beef

Joe: ok but can we really trust hamburger makers and butchers and grocery stores when the word ham is in hamburger and ham means pork

Joe Rogan Fans: this is why I like him he is good at thinking

I don't much care for Neil Young either though so this is like Alien vs Predator for me.

Goldentony

how can you not like Neil Young you inhuman bastard

keir

If I had Neil's ear I'd be saying "Thom Yorke is a great admirer of yours, why don't you suggest that he do it?" Then sit back and watch. "Thanks for taking your solo stuff off Thom, but what about Radiohead and your new band?" (If you don't know why it might play out that way, check out the twitter of Jonny Greenwood's wife, @katansharona )

SteveDave

Quote from: Goldentony on January 25, 2022, 08:39:46 AMhow can you not like Neil Young you inhuman bastard

The same way I don't like the Fall- high output, low quality

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on January 25, 2022, 09:10:55 AMThe same way I don't like the Fall- high output, low quality

The key difference for me is that Neil Young released shitloads of great music in the '70s, then continued to release shitloads of largely mediocre music for the next forty years and counting. But at least he had that bright and shiny window.

The Fall did Totally Wired, and that's yer lot. I'm not trying to be contrary, The Fall aren't for me. Opionions etc.

Anyway. All power to Neil's admirable stance against absolute fuckwits.

gilbertharding

Quote from: keir on January 25, 2022, 08:58:46 AM@katansharona

Holy shit. Well - vindicated in my 'never liked Radiohead' stance. Another point to Harding.

idunnosomename

Shame really because that fucking meathead is worth way more to Spotify than Neil Young. Always throwing his podcast at me where he looks like a grinning glans.

sevendaughters

HE JUST WANTS YOU TO BUY A PONO

SteveDave

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 25, 2022, 11:33:11 AMHoly shit. Well - vindicated in my 'never liked Radiohead' stance. Another point to Harding.

Hoochie-mama! Lovely stuff. Never trust a posh band.

gilbertharding

Of course, the big problem I have now, is whether to bother learning the difference between Joe Rogan, Josh Rogin, Seth Rogen, Josh Groban, Josh Brolin, and Joss Whedon - or (as I suspect will be the case whatever happens) not.

The Ombudsman

Unfortunately I'd expect Spotify earn more from Rogan than Young, and possible also Thom York combined. It would need a few massive acts to do this to make them think surely?

That said, I welcome this move. He is a doofus but spouted nonsense about UFO's and JFK theories before so I could stomach it. Now he's thinking he's somehow qualified to parse detailed medical trials and provide wisdom thereof. I did enjoy some of his early ones, when he had Ronson, Theroux and that ilk of guest. Now it's all MMA or quacks.

peanutbutter

Seems like a bit of a shame that Young wouldn't just go on the podcast tbh. Rogan's a gullible idiot but he tends to just agree with the last person he was talking to. Feel like this just ups Rogan's rep even more.

Captain Z

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 25, 2022, 01:00:04 PMOf course, the big problem I have now, is whether to bother learning the difference between Joe Rogan, Josh Rogin, Seth Rogen, Josh Groban, Josh Brolin, and Joss Whedon - or (as I suspect will be the case whatever happens) not.

Don't forget Logan Paul, Paul Hogan and Logan of Saarkad.

I have the same problem in the Glinner threads with Andrew Doyle, Andrew Lawrence, Lawrence Fox, Andrew Neil, Neil Oliver and so on. Why do they all have the same name.

SpiderChrist

Spotify are now "in the process" of removing Young's music.

How long does it take? Can't they just drag the Neil Young folder into the Recycle Bin?

Butchers Blind

Imagine choosing Rogan over Neil Young. Good choice, Spotify.

Bernice

The (vaccine) needle and the damage done.

madhair60

Well I've been a Spotify user for about ten years but I suppose that's finished. Anyone recommend an alternative service?

SteveDave

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2022, 09:17:23 AMWell I've been a Spotify user for about ten years but I suppose that's finished. Anyone recommend an alternative service?

SoulSeek. Honest theft.

Petey Pate

Bandcamp, although the app isn't as convenient.

chveik

imitationleather

Just give up listening to music. It's all shite.

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2022, 09:17:23 AMWell I've been a Spotify user for about ten years but I suppose that's finished. Anyone recommend an alternative service?
Quote from: SteveDave on January 27, 2022, 09:42:52 AMSoulSeek. Honest theft.

Yep, I recommended this in the Rogan thread in CC. It's obviously a hassle to build a collection up from scratch, but my overall goal once I've got some spare cash is to get a big portable hard drive and an Nvidia Shield which acts as its own independent server (meaning your computer doesn't have t be constantly switched on in order to access your media remotely), hook it up to my Plex account, and then access all my music from wherever I want with the PlexAmp mobile app for £4 a month.

TheMonk

Apple Music is fine, or YouTube music. A YouTube premium subscription gets you this with the added bonus of no adds on YouTube.

chutnut

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 27, 2022, 12:04:29 PMmy overall goal once I've got some spare cash is to get a big portable hard drive and an Nvidia Shield which acts as its own independent server (meaning your computer doesn't have t be constantly switched on in order to access your media remotely), hook it up to my Plex account, and then access all my music from wherever I want with the PlexAmp mobile app for £4 a month.

I've been doing this for a few years and it was a definite gamechanger (but also causes me a lot of grief every now and again), if you're just using it for music I'm not sure you'll even need to pay for the app. It might have changed by now but it used to only restrict watching films/series with the basic account.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of Soulseek being some kind of moral alternative to Spotify though

The Mollusk

Quote from: chutnut on January 27, 2022, 12:35:27 PMI've been doing this for a few years and it was a definite gamechanger (but also causes me a lot of grief every now and again), if you're just using it for music I'm not sure you'll even need to pay for the app. It might have changed by now but it used to only restrict watching films/series with the basic account.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of Soulseek being some kind of moral alternative to Spotify though

Yeah the PlexAmp mobile app is part of the premium Plex service now (£4 a month as mentioned). But using Plex on your smart TV for any media is still totally free. I really like the interface and I'm told that it's also fantastic on PlexAmp. Some details given by a user here.

I definitely wasn't arguing its case as a moral alternative, btw. I still buy CDs from Bandcamp whenever I can afford to as that seems like the best way to directly support new or independent artists and labels (and I can't wait for gigs to become more of a stable and regular thing again so I can grab stuff from the merch stands and stick money right in the hands of my favourite artists), although in all honesty the vast majority of my physical music purchases are from second hand record shops.

Kankurette

Spotify's gone a bit weird. A few tracks on my playlists are greyed out, apparently it's a licensing thing?