Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Young vs Rogan & Spotify

Started by SpiderChrist, January 25, 2022, 07:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chutnut

Yeah I do like Plexamp, it was buggy as fuck when it first came out so I went back to the normal Plex app for a while, but it's a lot better now.
There's a really interesting feature they implemented recently where it 'sonically' scans all your music and groups 'sonically similar' stuff together, but unfortunately it's not compatible with the Shield server.

Tbh I would prepare yourself for some general bugginess with Plex (and Shield), at least 3 times since I got it in 2018 the Plex server has updated and wiped my database so I needed to start again from scratch, and sounds like the latest Shield software update has done the same again for a lot of users so I'm staying well away from that. A few other times it just randomly disappears but then comes back eventually. Anyway I'm rambling, it's still worth it!

Sorry the Soulseek comment wasn't aimed at you specifically but unless I misread that did seem to be how it was brought up initially

Nowhere Man

For selfish reasons this is kind of annoying because now it fucks up several of my massive 'fuck off' mega playlists of 60/60s tunes

Let's be honest though, Neil Young is probably one musician who has historically hated Spotify more than any other major classic pop/rock artist aside from old purple bollocks (Prince)

And I think the Rogan-contingency are being willingly dense about the whole 'Spotify personally removed Neil Young'. If Spotify had any fraction of a doubt from his publishing, they would have him back on there quicker than you can say 'Neil fucking despises Spotify'.

kalowski

Thankfully I knew shit like this would happen and so I copied all my CDs to mp3 on a massive hard drive So stuff that's not one Spotify (Neil Young, early De La Soul) I can still stream using dropbox and Astiga. (And I paid for the discs so artists still got paid)

The Mollusk

idunnosomename

Fuck I meant to post that in the other Rogan thread. Shit that they indeed pulled Neil Young's discography for this sack of shit meathead though

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2022, 09:17:23 AMWell I've been a Spotify user for about ten years but I suppose that's finished. Anyone recommend an alternative service?

I use Tidal for streaming, they seemingly pay about double to artist as Spotify do, though I doubt that still adds up to much. Also Bandcamp for when I want to give artists real money. The app is good and you can download for mobile listening.

gilbertharding

Is Neil Young included in the whole 'can't be played on the BBC for some reason' farrago as The Doors?

I ask because, by coincidence I heard Come On Baby Light My Fire on Steve Wright in the Afternoon yesterday.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Captain Z on January 27, 2022, 01:00:14 AMDon't forget Logan Paul, Paul Hogan and Logan of Saarkad.

I have the same problem in the Glinner threads with Andrew Doyle, Andrew Lawrence, Lawrence Fox, Andrew Neil, Neil Oliver and so on. Why do they all have the same name.

yep - me too. It's hard getting old, isn't it?

Kankurette

Bazza Manilow's yanked his music off Spotify in protest. Good for him, even if I did have Bermuda Triangle in one of my playlists.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 28, 2022, 11:02:17 AMIs Neil Young included in the whole 'can't be played on the BBC for some reason' farrago as The Doors?

I happened to hear Heart of Gold on one of Ken Bruce's shows this week. I think the Doors are banned simply because they are trash.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on January 28, 2022, 12:55:36 PMI happened to hear Heart of Gold on one of Ken Bruce's shows this week. I think the Doors are banned simply because they are trash.

Ah... apparently the copyright problem was sorted shortly after it appeared, in 2015. I remember it was discussed in the TotP thread last year, regarding The Doors appearance in the 1991 hit parade because of the Oliver Stone film (they were cut from the episodes, but I guess that was to do with film rights, rather than music ones).

Here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=83456.msg4640869#msg4640869

peanutbutter

Does this mean some Neil Young tribute act is about to start raking it in? I remember there was a Led Zeppelin tribute act making a killing a Spotify until they got added.

Sebastian Cobb

You can also one-time-purchase the normal plex app and listen to music that way.

Psmith

I did read negative comments about Neil and the Fall in the same thread ???
The world's gone mad.

Big Star

Apparently Joni Mitchell's requesting her catalogue be removed in solidarity with Neil

SteveDave

Quote from: Psmith on January 29, 2022, 01:52:16 AMI did read negative comments about Neil and the Fall in the same thread ???
The world's gone mad.

And I'll tell you something else too...the same thing goes for Christmas

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Big Star on January 29, 2022, 07:30:19 AMApparently Joni Mitchell's requesting her catalogue be removed in solidarity with Neil

I'll only believe that when I see 'Who is Joan Mitchell' is trending on Twitter.

phes

Weird reverse of the young people and their cancel culture thing going on here with all these old crusties taking their ball home

Goldentony

still loads of great tunes on there

phes

Bently Sheds

Apparently both Neil Young and Joni Mitchell had Polio as nippers, so to be on the same platform as a meathead peddling anti-vaccination bollocks must have been hard to take.

It's weird how rabid the Rogan fanboys (and it's mostly blokes) are on Twitter. Kinda like the Muskbro bootlicker army, swooping in to defend their Alpha hero when someone dares to so much as look at them sideways online.

Sebastian Cobb

It looks like tidal are doing £1 for 3 months at the minute and can export spotify playlists for people who still want cloud streaming.

(i have a plex setup and buy stuff on bandcamp but would miss spotify as a useful quick discovery tool)

I'm going to take the plunge and bin spotify if it does more or less what I want

bgmnts

I binned Spotify a few days ago and went to Tidal but I didnt get that sexy offer. Fuck!

Check it and it's already expired? Unsure.

Thankfully I have a student discount anyway so not too bad.

chveik

so they don't give a shit about spotify exploiting artists, it's just about the vax stuff? frankly it's a bit pathetic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2022, 04:42:58 PMI binned Spotify a few days ago and went to Tidal but I didnt get that sexy offer. Fuck!

Ah yes, it would appear you need to go through https://tidal.com/offers/holiday-2021

idunnosomename

is tidal only £10 a month too? is there any downside to Spotify?

Im a bit sick of spotify tbh.

edit oh is just because it has no free mode? fuck it then, cancelled spotify

idunnosomename

Quote from: chveik on January 29, 2022, 04:43:52 PMso they don't give a shit about spotify exploiting artists, it's just about the vax stuff? frankly it's a bit pathetic
well I think the fact that they're siding with meathead joe over legendary musicians is such a demonstration how little they care about musicians

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 29, 2022, 06:31:35 PMis tidal only £10 a month too? is there any downside to Spotify?

Im a bit sick of spotify tbh.

edit oh is just because it has no free mode? fuck it then, cancelled spotify

Yeah it's a tenner unless you want to pay a premium for their 'master audio' quality, (24bit/96khz) it's debatable people will notice the difference in a lot of cases but a lot of devices won't play it anyway.

I used an import tool to port my playlists over, it'll do 500 tracks for free but wants 4 dollars a month for premium to do the rest, which I stumped up for, of the 5000 odd tracks in playlist it couldn't find about 150, which isn't bad, most of those were various tracks in a David Mancuso house playlist, the only album i'd saved to playlist (I don't do this much and just use search generally) was Linton Kwesi Johnson's Dread Beat and Blood, some of his other stuff is there. For the most part it seems very similar and most the stuff I plugged in there is there so I'm relatively happy.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 29, 2022, 06:47:21 PMYeah it's a tenner unless you want to pay a premium for their 'master audio' quality, (24bit/96khz) it's debatable people will notice the difference in a lot of cases but a lot of devices won't play it anyway.

As I was signing up, think I read that the extra premium also gives an extra 10% directly to your favourite artists, however that works.