Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Damon Albarn Vs Taylor Swift

Started by willbo, January 25, 2022, 08:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

A very strange one. If you look at her hits then they're all co-writes with Max Martin, Shellback, Ryan Tedder, Jack Antonoff. Her recent stuff traded on the fact that it was with guys from The National or Bon Iver or both.

Feel like it would have been easier to say "I am proud of my co-writers and feel we get the best songs out of it, sorry you don't like it, when's the next installment of Mali Music coming out?"

Glebe

He's a bit of a shirty fucker sometimes is Albarn, isn't he?

purlieu

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 25, 2022, 09:00:46 PMIf you look at her hits then they're all co-writes with Max Martin, Shellback, Ryan Tedder, Jack Antonoff.
I dunno, 'Love Story' is one of her biggest and that was all her. I suppose she wasn't that big in the UK until she started doing more poppy sounding stuff, but the majority of songs on her first four records were written by her alone (Speak Now features no co-writers at all), or occasionally working with one or two other people, often people she duetted with. She's had quite a few US top ten hits with her own songs.

I think Damon is probably unaware of this and assumed she's always done the Max Martin-style co-writing thing, and has been caught out. I'm not entirely sure I believe him when he says he's been misrepresented, as his answer about her in the interview is a reasonably lengthy explanation of why he doesn't think she's a songwriter. I'd love to know exactly what he did say if he's telling the truth about it being edited.

sevendaughters

ok - then she's a more than competent country-gloopster but again those early records are clearly the sound of dead-eyed Nashville polishers. obviously writing a song like that isn't a fait acompli and i have zero doubt she can play and sing a bit but clearly at some point she wanted a different thing and couldn't do that as successfully alone. she is a co-writer. like Albarn says. it isn't even a controversy.

purlieu

Her first two albums I'd certainly agree, but Red in particular I think is a pretty strong pop-rock record, and the only tracks I don't think really work are the three Max Martin produced singles.

As for not being able to do things successfully alone, Max Martin, Shellback and the like always get co-writing credits when the produce - even on the last Coldplay album - regardless of how much or little input they have, so it's hard to say whether these were songs Taylor came up with and they fleshed out. I'd also say her solo written songs on 1989, Folklore and Evermore are great too.

Opinions aside, the real point is that she's written more than half of her own discography on her own, so I totally understand why she'd be offended when someone comes along and says she's only a co-writer.

I wonder if someone's pointed out to Damon that all his most successful material is co-written by other people.

Steven88

Quote from: Glebe on January 25, 2022, 09:03:41 PMHe's a bit of a shirty fucker sometimes is Albarn, isn't he?
Not quite Gallagher level but he's always been a bit of a cunt.

the science eel

Quote from: Glebe on January 25, 2022, 09:03:41 PMHe's a bit of a shirty fucker sometimes is Albarn, isn't he?

He is, but this is hardly nasty stuff. She's hypersensitive about her artistry and this has fired her up to the point she's yelling about it. I think she comes out of this worse.

willbo

i was trying to think of something to the tune of End of a Century, something like "there's an ant on Twitter, dirty little monster, slagging off her classics, spreading lies about them"

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

Couldn't give a shit but I assumed the cap-in-hand apology was down to lawyers protecting the brand.

PlanktonSideburns

Weird to say it's not proper collaboration when Taylor swift does it, then to talk about the Eilish duo, - who both collaborate to make music together. What about bands who write together? If he Doesn't like Taylor swift, fine, but his collaboration bit is clearly the sound of a man talking bollocks. Not that arsed about Taylor Swift's music, but she seems to be talked about as a decent artist and collaborator by people who work with her, and is absolute fly paper for patronising old gits

jobotic

Was going to quote Albarn from that article and say "what a tit" but...too boring

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 25, 2022, 09:13:29 PMok - then she's a more than competent country-gloopster but again those early records are clearly the sound of dead-eyed Nashville polishers. obviously writing a song like that isn't a fait acompli and i have zero doubt she can play and sing a bit but clearly at some point she wanted a different thing and couldn't do that as successfully alone. she is a co-writer. like Albarn says. it isn't even a controversy.
This is a rather oddly constructed post. Admitting you're wrong, then spending the rest of the paragraph saying that you were right, actually.

PlanktonSideburns

Also, try and sing shake it off

Those are some fuking HIGH notes, fair play

Goldentony

Albarn seeing his arse fo two days straight over this is really fucking funny. Couldnt have happened to a stupider prick in several of the shittest bands of all time.

bgmnts

Quote from: Goldentony on January 25, 2022, 10:40:26 PMAlbarn seeing his arse fo two days straight over this is really fucking funny. Couldnt have happened to a stupider prick in several of the shittest bands of all time.

Demon Days is a great album :(

I'm surprised TaySway would even be arsed about it because her songs are lyrically crap mostly aren't they?

Goldentony

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2022, 10:42:28 PMlyrically crap mostly aren't they?

if this was true i'd still think twice about saying it if I was the guy who was in Blur and wrote the lyrics for Blur, or knew of Blur and what the lyrics of Blur were like.

David Bowie's discography, which Mr Albarn loves, is a largely a series of writing collaborations with other artists from different musical fields.

PARKLIFE!

Goldentony

a man with a look on his face permanently like that of a ships apprentice whos forgotten to prep some carrots on his second day at sea

H-O-W-L

I genuinely can't imagine giving a shit what either of these beige cunts thinks.

DJ Bob Hoskins

What I'd like to know, is when exactly did he turn into Russell Crowe's dodgy cousin from the trailer park?

Goldentony

the music of Tayor Swift has brought me gret joy whereas the music of Dr Alban and the other three tories are like a personal affront

shoulders

Send them all to a gravel pit, round them up

Goldentony

I would genuinely have no problem with Blur going to prison over nothing, just a full on waiving of their human rights

shoulders

Take the names down

Each of them

Ponce 96
Cheese Farmer
Stick cunt
Graham of Thrones

pigamus

I have hated him and his awful band all my adult life and this whole thing has brought me great joy

The Mollusk

Quote from: Goldentony on January 25, 2022, 11:10:34 PMa man with a look on his face permanently like that of a ships apprentice whos forgotten to prep some carrots on his second day at sea

For fucks sake hahahah

Captain Z

Couldn't hum or even name a Taylor Swift song. Best thing she's ever done is that "OK" reaction gif. And that wasn't even her.