Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Damon Albarn Vs Taylor Swift

Started by willbo, January 25, 2022, 08:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

I would never hum a Blur song, not even to Pinochet

non capisco

Always loved the bit in the South Bank Show episode about Blur when Albarn comes out of his booth and has a little tantrum at a film soundtrack orchestra and the film makers leave in one of the players doing a Vic and Bob "handbags" style "OooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooh!" at him.

Kankurette

I knew he was trouble. Also, he sounds so pathetic. "We haven't got time to fuck around, weh weh wehhhh.'
Quote from: Goldentony on January 25, 2022, 11:25:12 PMthe music of Tayor Swift has brought me gret joy whereas the music of Dr Alban and the other three tories are like a personal affront
Dave ran for Labour and I'm pretty sure Graham isn't a Tory but cheese cunt definitely is.

Goldentony

they are tories by agreeing to associate with him rather than trap him in ice or something useful

Kankurette

Goldentony

if Alex James was trapped in ice and attached to a rocket and flown over Canada like in the original Captain America film I would happily take back everything i've said about Blur here

Kankurette

You can't put him in a rocket. He'd enjoy it.

DrGreggles

I quite like a lot of Damon's stuff and haven't really heard Tayor Swift (not sure I could pick her out of a line up), so the main thing is that I don't really care.

Don't a lot of pop singers get vanity writing credits these days anyway?

gilbertharding

Yeah - there does seem to be a thing in music these days (!) where about a 1000 people get credited for writing a song. The person who whistled or hummed a bit of the tune in the bath one day. The person who originally wrote the same bit of the tune in the 1970s. The person who thought of the words for the chorus. The person who programmed the drum machine and turned the reverb on and off. The person whose name appears on the label credited as singing it. Their astronomer. And this is completely different from the olden days when two (maximum) young men sat vamping on guitars or pianos for an afternoon until some folk/blues-derived verse-chorus-verse nonsense about girl trouble filled up a C60.

Damon Albarn (bless him) should really have checked whether or not Taylor Swift fell into this category before sounding off.

JaDanketies

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2022, 10:42:28 PMI'm surprised TaySway would even be arsed about it because her songs are lyrically crap mostly aren't they?

I think they're dead smart and funny tbh. Far better than what we should expect from our pop starlets.  Blank Space, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and Trouble for instance. I am sure that as a teenager I would've claimed that Blur were defacto better than TayTay for being a rock band and not a pop band but nowadays I've gotta admit Taylor Swift stands on her own quite remarkable merits.

SteveDave

phantom_power

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 25, 2022, 09:53:15 PMWeird to say it's not proper collaboration when Taylor swift does it, then to talk about the Eilish duo, - who both collaborate to make music together. What about bands who write together? If he Doesn't like Taylor swift, fine, but his collaboration bit is clearly the sound of a man talking bollocks. Not that arsed about Taylor Swift's music, but she seems to be talked about as a decent artist and collaborator by people who work with her, and is absolute fly paper for patronising old gits

I think there is a difference between a brother and sister working together, or a band collaborating, and getting in a hit writing/producing team to do an indeterminate amount of the creation of a song.

I don't know what the popular opinion or known truth of where Swift falls on the manufactured/genuine artist line but I can see why Albarn thought she was at one end and why she might think she was on the other and it seems the decent thing for him to apologise if he offended her.

jobotic

She should get some African musicians in and a dated comic book artist, then he'd respect her.

madhair60

"ME!" is one of the worst songs ever recorded. Some Gorillaz songs are good. Team Albarn. He shouldn't have to apologise. He should just double down and tell her she doesn't sing any of her songs either. And she isn't even real.

Goldentony

ME! unbelievably is her most Blur like song

gilbertharding

Authenticity is bunk anyway. I thought the Monkees settled this, years ago.

Butchers Blind

I think they should kiss and make up. Are they both single? Have sex and a child named Taybarn.

Auntie Beryl

She's admitting to co-writing* "Look What You Made Me Do" then? Brave stance.

(* Right Said Fred got a chunk of that sweet publishing dollar)

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I like blur a lot. Even the Great Escape. Sorry :(

T swift has done some songs that I like, but I always get a vibe from her that if we'd gone to school together she'd have been really really mean to me. So unfortunately I have no choice but to go full rockist on this one. Sorry again

sevendaughters

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2022, 10:09:37 PMThis is a rather oddly constructed post. Admitting you're wrong, then spending the rest of the paragraph saying that you were right, actually.

stick it on my headstone baby

Captain Z

I'm afraid I still don't believe she exists. We're told there is a Taylor Swift, but think about it - have you ever actually heard one of her songs? Can you even visualise what she looks like? Nope.

Brundle-Fly

FWIW his new solo album is really good.

shoulders

Remember that period where he'd hate it when journalists referenced his work as World Music, so they just did it more because his reaction made good copy.

Lord Mandrake

He's surprisingly down to earth etc.. Seriously though, been on nodding terms for years and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around Portobello who has a bad word to say about him. Call him all the cunts in the world but a fucking Tory? Way off the mark.

shoulders

Safe bloke, loves his kids, works hard
Fucks his house

Quote from: shoulders on January 26, 2022, 12:42:49 PMSafe bloke, loves his kids, works hard
Fucks his house

In the count-raaay...

gilbertharding

Quote from: shoulders on January 26, 2022, 12:31:32 PMRemember that period where he'd hate it when journalists referenced his work as World Music, so they just did it more because his reaction made good copy.

Clearly funny, but that must have been a while ago, because anyone referring to 'world music' nowadays needs tarring, feathering and running out of town on a rail.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 26, 2022, 11:26:37 AMFWIW his new solo album is really good.

Not even controversial, he's in a decent run of form.

3/4 of Blur are good eggs these days but more than one Britpop band have threatened to out their 90s tour behaviour, Miki Berenyi's turn next.

PaulTMA

CaB threads about Albarn are always the same old shit, will not bother again

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: phantom_power on January 26, 2022, 09:24:12 AMI think there is a difference between a brother and sister working together, or a band collaborating, and getting in a hit writing/producing team to do an indeterminate amount of the creation of a song.

I don't know what the popular opinion or known truth of where Swift falls on the manufactured/genuine artist line but I can see why Albarn thought she was at one end and why she might think she was on the other and it seems the decent thing for him to apologise if he offended her.

Agreed there is a difference, suggesting that one is a better thing than the other in not so sure about
Quote from: gilbertharding on January 26, 2022, 09:40:18 AMAuthenticity is bunk anyway. I thought the Monkees settled this, years ago.

Yea this for me, albarns thing and swifts needn't be held in competition

Look forward the the email leaked where they agreed to this beef beforehand like wrestlers