Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor: Love and Thunder

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, April 18, 2022, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I ave a little theory about this film

Spoiler alert
There were some early trailer shots that looked like a character had been erased... and we know Thor goes to the Hall of Gods to recruit, but comes away empty? I don't think so. I think Hercules is in this. What do I win?
[close]

Twit 2

13 schoolyards

The problem with pretty much every Marvel movie's post-credit scene that supposedly sets up the plot for some future installment is that pretty much every future installment either brushes off that plot in a scene or two, or just ignores it entirely.

I mean, the set up for this was "Thor joins the Guardians of the Galaxy" (presumably that was the plan for the next GotG movie because James Gunn was on the outs with Marvel), and then this movie is... not really about that at all. And more than one person has pointed out that there seems to have been an entire Dr Strange movie we never saw between the end of the first one and the start of the one earlier this year.

So anything suggested by whatever might happen during the credits of this film has maybe a 25% chance of ever being mentioned again.

beanheadmcginty

My general rule for superhero films is the more comedy the better as this suits their fundamental absurdity. However, I saw this earlier and I think it tries too hard to be funny ALL the time. A lot of overly explained and laboured gags too. Plus a LOT of those Marvel moments where something serious gets undercut by a joke. Still mosstly fun though overall I suppose.

Shaky

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on July 06, 2022, 08:00:10 AMThe problem with pretty much every Marvel movie's post-credit scene that supposedly sets up the plot for some future installment is that pretty much every future installment either brushes off that plot in a scene or two, or just ignores it entirely.

I mean, the set up for this was "Thor joins the Guardians of the Galaxy" (presumably that was the plan for the next GotG movie because James Gunn was on the outs with Marvel), and then this movie is... not really about that at all. And more than one person has pointed out that there seems to have been an entire Dr Strange movie we never saw between the end of the first one and the start of the one earlier this year.

So anything suggested by whatever might happen during the credits of this film has maybe a 25% chance of ever being mentioned again.

Probably the nadir of this was the hoo-ha about calling Captain Marvel in... only for her to basically sit out the next film. I actually laughed when she turned up briefly to say she was off to help other planets instead.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on July 06, 2022, 08:00:10 AMSo anything suggested by whatever might happen during the credits of this film has maybe a 25% chance of ever being mentioned again.

Having read a synopsis of the film
Spoiler alert
the first credit scene, of Hercules being dispatched to take on Thor, points towards the next film - some sort of War in Heaven plot perhaps - while the post-credits scene, of Jane being welcomed to Valhalla by Heimdall, rounds off her story neatly while also confirming that the afterlife exists in the MCU.
[close]

BritishHobo

I think this is the only Marvel post-credits scene that has ever made me react the way you would expect a fanboy to, with mad delight, purely because of

Spoiler alert
the totally unexpected nature of the actor involved.
[close]

On every other level the scene is crap,
Spoiler alert
undermining the film's finality with a typical Marvel 'come back next time, folks!!!' tease. Oh, another guy will try to kill Thor and Thor will have to kill him back. But god I was happy to see his face.
[close]

elliszeroed

A bizarre film!

One that needed more of so many characters:
More Zeus
More Gorr
More Jane
More Tessa Thompson (although doesn't every film?)

Dr Rock

There's apparently a four hour cut.

madhair60

elliszeroed

Four hours? Have scriptwriters forgotten how to write? Or is the new method to throw everything into the script and let the director/ studio decide what to keep?

lipsink

Quote from: Shaky on July 07, 2022, 11:07:33 AMProbably the nadir of this was the hoo-ha about calling Captain Marvel in... only for her to basically sit out the next film. I actually laughed when she turned up briefly to say she was off to help other planets instead.

Also, what was the post credits scene in GOTG2 where we had Sly Stallone assembling a gang for a film that never happened? Didn't we also get a tease that Howard The Duck was getting a film in GOTG1?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't think those were setting anything up. They were just little in-joke references - if I remember rightly, the Stallone crew are the original Guardians line up from the comics (minus Yondu).

It does seem kind of odd that there hasn't been a Howard the Duck series on Disney+ though. I suppose it might skew a bit too mature compared to the other series.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 08, 2022, 11:38:07 AMI don't think those were setting anything up. They were just little in-joke references - if I remember rightly, the Stallone crew are the original Guardians line up from the comics (minus Yondu).

It does seem kind of odd that there hasn't been a Howard the Duck series on Disney+ though. I suppose it might skew a bit too mature compared to the other series.

Howard The Duck was meant to be part of the slate of Hulu animated shows along with M.O.D.O.K., Hit Monkey, Tigra & Dazzler and The Offenders.

But that was part of the Perlmutter/Loeb Marvel Television regime, and so the unmade shows remained unmade and M.O.D.O.K. and Hit Monkey were cancelled.

BritishHobo

A four hour cut wouldn't be good, but it makes sense that it exists, as there were quite a few points in the film where there's a noticable and jarring jump between scenes and story beats, as if there's something missing.

Famous Mortimer

I assume that's just a rough cut before the serious editing starts, rather than a potential alternative to the released version.

AsparagusTrevor

It's one of the things that websites jump on and turn into news, even though it's pretty common practice for films to initially have longer cuts. Similar to them going crazy when there's reshoots, even though most films have some kind of reshoots.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 08, 2022, 07:58:20 AMThere's apparently a four hour cut.

only so Marvel can sell it as Thor IV Four (hour cut)

AsparagusTrevor

And only release it in Forfar

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah it's just the 'assembly cut' (by all accounts a standard part of the editing process) being discussed on clickbait sites isnt it, not something that would ever be released. Anyway, just seen this and enjoyed it, not a big fan of your standard marvel quippy humour but thought this was genuinely funny in quite a few places, and just a lot of good-old-fashioned fun generally. But out of all the marvel stuff I have always had a soft spot for the old Thor sub-franchise.

colacentral

It took a while to warm up for me but I thought it was really good by the end. Enjoyed the ending, particularly the final scene, though I understand why it's flying over the heads of teenage boys and sociopaths. It had some heart to it, unlike Ragnarok.

I blinking well loved it. 4 hours would obviously be a bit much, but I could have happily watched more. I'm the one weirdo that actually liked the first two Thor films and thought that Ragnarok was rather overrated as a result. All the reviews (or headlines) I'd seen made this sound like Ragnarok turned up to 11, but I thought it was a great improvement on that. Mostly because it wasn't afraid to let the emotional moments stand - most of the time, anyway...

Spoiler alert
I was disappointed that they undid Korg's death almost instantly. For one thing, he's the source of much of the whiplash inducing humour. More importantly, it lessens the sense of stakes later on when Valkyrie gets stabbed and Jane picks up the hammer for the last time.

Also, one can't help but laugh derisively at at all the berks predicting that Jane would replace Thor permanently.

Also, also, why was Jane consulting Dr Selvig about her cancer? Do Astrophysicists double as oncologists?
[close]

Gorr gets some interesting shading here and there, but he is a bit of a flat character in terms of motivation. He never really functions as a moral challenge to Thor. We see a couple of gods being dicks, but not enough to make his quest seem particularly righteous. Also, the distinction between gods and superheroes seems very arbitrary - Hulk can beat up Thor, so would be have been wiped out by Gorr's plan? Fortunately, Bale played a blinder. Maybe some comics purists were pissed off by his redesign, but I thought he was freaky as fuck.

Visually, it was pretty splendid (even without Hemsworth's botty). I can't say the same for the score, although the GnR tracks did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

And all the backstory gets relayed at the beginning, so you don't get to complain about having to watch other films. Go watch it, you miserable git! Or don't. Who cares?

samadriel

Quality use of
Spoiler alert
the end of November Rain.
[close]

After the so-so Dr Strange 2, this was quite refreshing. Christian Bale did a great villain, extra points to him. I knew when that earlier post about the mid-credits scene showed up,  I wasn't going to recognise the cameo,  and sure enough,  never seen him before. Should I watch that show he's in?

C_Larence

Quote from: samadriel on July 09, 2022, 02:22:11 PMQuality use of
Spoiler alert
the end of November Rain.
[close]

After the so-so Dr Strange 2, this was quite refreshing. Christian Bale did a great villain, extra points to him. I knew when that earlier post about the mid-credits scene showed up,  I wasn't going to recognise the cameo,  and sure enough,  never seen him before. Should I watch that show he's in?

If by that show you mean
Spoiler alert
Derek
[close]
yes.

If you mean
Spoiler alert
Ted Lasso
[close]
no.

For the second post-credits scene...
Spoiler alert
Jane should have been met by Hercules, who gives her some ominous news...
[close]
Spoiler alert
"I'm afraid you're dead. You've died."
[close]

BritishHobo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 09, 2022, 02:29:42 PMFor the second post-credits scene...
Spoiler alert
Jane should have been met by Hercules, who gives her some ominous news...
[close]
Spoiler alert
"I'm afraid you're dead. You've died."
[close]

Spoiler alert
"Shit, I forgot to tell you something."
[close]

Thor had Mjolnir for, what, a thousand years or so? In all that time did he never learn that he could just think it back together if it breaks?

It's not the biggest of deals, but it seems like it undermines the importance of its destruction in Ragnarok.

Also, it would have been nice if Jane had figured out how to fix it with her science knowledge and that was why she was worthy (although the reason in the film was very nice).

Jack Shaftoe

I liked that they incorporated Mjolnir having been shattered into how it was used now, nice imaginative touch. I enjoyed T:LAT a lot, but then I think Ragnarok was the most fun time I've ever had in the cinema, so I was bound to enjoy it, even if it felt a tiny bit forced in parts.

Phase 4 does feel quite untethered though, doesn't it? I do miss the stories being set (kind of) in the real world, it's all going a bit anything goes now. My theory on how Phase 5 will end:

Spoiler alert
They'll wrap up this version of the MCU entirely, Kevin Feige will move on then someone else will start up a whole new MCU with new versions of Iron Man, Captain America and all that, with occasional visitations of favourites from the first MCU when interest/contracts allow.
[close]

EDIT: bit weird calling that a spoiler when it's just a theory, but I suppose it adds a sense of grandeur.

Kelvin

This made me laugh (albeit for a different reason than the person who titled it).