Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor: Love and Thunder

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, April 18, 2022, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 10, 2022, 08:47:40 PMI liked that they incorporated Mjolnir having been shattered into how it was used now, nice imaginative touch. I enjoyed T:LAT a lot, but then I think Ragnarok was the most fun time I've ever had in the cinema, so I was bound to enjoy it, even if it felt a tiny bit forced in parts.

Phase 4 does feel quite untethered though, doesn't it? I do miss the stories being set (kind of) in the real world, it's all going a bit anything goes now. My theory on how Phase 5 will end:

Spoiler alert
They'll wrap up this version of the MCU entirely, Kevin Feige will move on then someone else will start up a whole new MCU with new versions of Iron Man, Captain America and all that, with occasional visitations of favourites from the first MCU when interest/contracts allow.
[close]

EDIT: bit weird calling that a spoiler when it's just a theory, but I suppose it adds a sense of grandeur.

It's definitely getting a bit untenable in terms of the big event films. Mad to think the excitement of the first Avengers came from seeing four characters from four films team up (with two extra joining in). I can't picture what the equivalent of an Avengers film would be now. There are just so many characters from across all the different films, especially with the Disney+ shows as well. Who would be the main line-up in 'Avengers 5', or whatever name the team-up would go for?

letsgobrian

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 10, 2022, 11:22:57 PMIt's definitely getting a bit untenable in terms of the big event films. Mad to think the excitement of the first Avengers came from seeing four characters from four films team up (with two extra joining in). I can't picture what the equivalent of an Avengers film would be now. There are just so many characters from across all the different films, especially with the Disney+ shows as well. Who would be the main line-up in 'Avengers 5', or whatever name the team-up would go for?

An Avengers team is a little bit harder to envision than a Young Avengers or a Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts line-up. But they do have a lot of Avengers from the comic during the 90s in play at the moment.

For example:

Spoiler alert

Clockwise from top: Vision (as he was left in Wandavision), Sersi (Eternals), Crystal (seems unlikely, but we've had Anson Mount back as Black Bolt), Thor (Love & Thunder), Hercules (Love & Thunder), Captain America (obviously it'd be Sam now) and Black Knight (Eternals)
[close]

non capisco

Watching the lingering white heat of Kermode's annoyance at this smug, unfunny eyesore of a film is the most I've enjoyed one of his and Mayo's videos for years.

samadriel

Kermode is full of shit, he seems to think that because it has funny things in it, it must be being ironic and sarcastic about being a superhero movie, which it clearly isn't, and it's telling that the only example of something he centres his review around is the catchphrase stuff, which barely features in the film, and when it does, it doesn't scream "ha ha superheroes are dumb really" the way he repeatedly claims it does. He basically claims Taika is sneering,  but he's the one sneering, for some reason pasting a use-by date on the sound goats make (that's topical humour, is it Mark?). What crap.

Dr Rock

I don't think the movie was great, but I've said before that Kermode not only doesn't like comedy (in) movies, he is often actively hostile towards them, as he was in that review. Remember his bizarre review of Superbad?

Dr Rock

Telling review of Borat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxUKj5AQJ8

'everyone round me was laughing and I wondered if I was a different species'

SteveDave

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 12, 2022, 07:23:00 AMRemember his bizarre review of Superbad?

Wow. He sounds like Danny Baker in this...

I do like that the majority of the comments defend the film.

Mister Six

Quote from: samadriel on July 12, 2022, 06:11:27 AMKermode is full of shit, he seems to think that because it has funny things in it, it must be being ironic and sarcastic about being a superhero movie, which it clearly isn't, and it's telling that the only example of something he centres his review around is the catchphrase stuff, which barely features in the film, and when it does, it doesn't scream "ha ha superheroes are dumb really" the way he repeatedly claims it does. He basically claims Taika is sneering,  but he's the one sneering, for some reason pasting a use-by date on the sound goats make (that's topical humour, is it Mark?). What crap.

Mark Kermode in "doesn't understand comedy" shocker.

touchingcloth

It's pissed the Chrizzo reviewers off.

Some highlights

QuoteTessa Thompson did an okay job, though her appearance was very minimal (though I must admit I let out a big "sigh" in the theater when I heard her name was KING Valkyrie and not Queen Valkyrie). Enough Hollywood, just enough).

QuoteOffensive Content

VIOLENCE: Please note not every violent moment is listed here, only the main issues you should be aware of. In one of the most appalling scenes (my mouth dropped), Gorr rips a creature's head off in front of some young children and throws it at them. He also talks about ripping apart creatures. A corpse is seen hanging from a bridge. Someone is seen missing an arm. Shadow-like creatures attack people and then are butchered. More shadow-like creatures kidnap some children in a terrifying manner. A god is killed and beheaded (the beheading takes place off-screen). Characters are seen dying in brief flashbacks. There is a brief fight sequence on a planet. We witness some buildings crumble.

QuoteA character graphically mentions how his two dads made a baby (don't ask). This same character is also openly Gay and we see him holding hands with another character.

Can rocks be gay?

QuoteViolence: Heavy
Profane language: Moderately Heavy
Sex: Moderately Heavy
Occult/Paganism: Heavy
Woke: Most definitely
Vulgar/Crude language: Moderate
Nudity: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Mild

Love that they've had to include a summary category of "woke".

Dr Rock

I enjoyed it more the second time. It's no Ragnarok but I would like to see an extended cut that makes it flow better. I'd also like to see it not in shitty pirated form where you can't hear much of the dialogue and there's some horrible loud scraping sounds all over the lovey-dovey scene on the boat.

brat-sampson

A gay character. Holding someone's hand. Makes you want to vomit
Spoiler alert
into the gaping anus of Christ
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 12, 2022, 02:59:40 PMA character graphically mentions how his two dads made a baby

And the joke is that it's incredibly chaste and quite sweet, but the god-botherers - who probably don't realise how their smallmindedness is satirised in the film - are too bigoted to understand this.

Compare to the BBFC's report:
Spoiler alert
Injury detail
There are scenes of fantastical bloodshed, including jets of golden blood in a sword fight between gods. Fantastical creatures are sloppily dismembered. A villain pulls the head off a monster, and throws it at children. A hero is shown to be missing an eye.

Sex
There are comic verbal references to orgies. There is mild innuendo concerning the appearance of a hero's penis. There are other references to 'making babies' and 'getting it on'. There is comic rear nudity.

Threat and horror
In sequences of moderate horror, children are snatched from their beds at night by monsters and held captive by a sinister villain who threatens to chop off their heads. There are occasional jump scares. This horror is punctuated by comedy and ends reassuringly.

Violence
There are prolonged fantastical fight sequences. A man stabs a god's neck. Warriors do battle with swords, axes and hand-to-hand combat. A group of gods are seen to have been lynched.

There is mild bad language such as 'piss', 'crap', 'asshole', 'fricking', 'hell', 'damn', 'shit', 'God' and 'jerk'. A character's terminal cancer is a theme of the film; there are associated upsetting scenes.
[close]

Spiteface

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 10, 2022, 08:47:40 PMI liked that they incorporated Mjolnir having been shattered into how it was used now, nice imaginative touch. I enjoyed T:LAT a lot, but then I think Ragnarok was the most fun time I've ever had in the cinema, so I was bound to enjoy it, even if it felt a tiny bit forced in parts.

Phase 4 does feel quite untethered though, doesn't it? I do miss the stories being set (kind of) in the real world, it's all going a bit anything goes now. My theory on how Phase 5 will end:

Spoiler alert
They'll wrap up this version of the MCU entirely, Kevin Feige will move on then someone else will start up a whole new MCU with new versions of Iron Man, Captain America and all that, with occasional visitations of favourites from the first MCU when interest/contracts allow.
[close]

EDIT: bit weird calling that a spoiler when it's just a theory, but I suppose it adds a sense of grandeur.

I can totally see them doing this.

Spoiler alert
I see a point where the MCU gets so vast to the point it gets too much for people to keep up, and they do a big "event" movie that resets the MCU, and thus they can recast everyone and start again, creating an ideal "jumping-on" point.

Thinking something like the "Ultimate" line of comics. This also leaves it open for returning faces if they want.
[close]

Glebe

Saw this over the weekend. There's funny stuff in there but the first half in particular is rather clumsy and the irreverence tips over into cheesy and irritating at times.

It does settle down a bit in the second half though. Some visual stunning sequences and Bale is suitably scary. Crowe is good value for money with his admittedly dodgy Greek charicature.

A lot of the trailer stuff is actually just flashback sequence stuff. Was hyped for the post-credit sequences but was left disappointed. Not being a huge fan of the Marvel comics themselves, that character reveal didn't really impress me.

non capisco

Kermode's famous 'tin ear for comedy' or whatever doesn't diminish the fact that I hated the experience of watching this pish film and thought it was about as amusing as a redundancy process. Just found watching someone else clearly as unduly irritated by it as I was quite cathartic.

mjwilson

It's not had good reviews but the only sequence that I thought was actively bad was
Spoiler alert
Omnipotence City
[close]

Peter Dinklage, Jeff Goldblum and Lena Headey filmed stuff for this which wasn't used.

Bad Ambassador

Russell Crowe's Stavros accent was highly amusing, given his previous pissiness.

ZoyzaSorris

I really don't see how anyone could actively dislike this. See it as a load of silly throwaway nonsense, yes, but actually feel strongly against?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 13, 2022, 08:55:52 PMRussell Crowe's Stavros accent was highly amusing, given his previous pissiness.

As in Robin Hood?

Mister Six

How much of this is a proper film and how much is just there to get me to watch some Disney+ show or other Marvel movie?

samadriel

The mid-credit sequence introduces a new enemy for Thor, is there anything else? Nothing comes to mind.

dead-ced-dead

Can't say I liked this much. I didn't think it was very funny, but I will say, Christian Bale gave me the heebie-jeebies; he just looked at sounded so weird. Genuinely scary.

If I ever see Bale I'm punching him in the back of the neck.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2022, 04:56:53 AMHow much of this is a proper film and how much is just there to get me to watch some Disney+ show or other Marvel movie?

None of it is a proper film; it's MCU

;3

elliszeroed

The MCU seems to have become what George Lucas wanted with Star Wars- an ongoing film serial.

BritishHobo

I think it is pretty rare as being an MCU film that feels focused on its own story and not all the other shit in the franchise. Apart from the Guardians of the Galaxy being in it at the start (which feels like Taika being forced to shake off something he's been lumbered with), it's all its own thing. It's a world apart from Dr. Strange in that sense.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"It's your kids, Marty. Something's got to be done about your kids!"

It's just an advert for more films!!!!!!!!!!!

Mister Six

Mister Six

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 14, 2022, 12:29:49 PMI think it is pretty rare as being an MCU film that feels focused on its own story and not all the other shit in the franchise. Apart from the Guardians of the Galaxy being in it at the start (which feels like Taika being forced to shake off something he's been lumbered with), it's all its own thing. It's a world apart from Dr. Strange in that sense.

That's good, cheers!

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 14, 2022, 12:41:08 PM"It's your kids, Marty. Something's got to be done about your kids!"

And they're talking to Scorsese there, right? It all comes together...

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 14, 2022, 12:41:08 PM"It's your kids, Marty. Something's got to be done about your kids!"

It's just an advert for more films!!!!!!!!!!!

that argument has already been dismissed as stupid in a previous thread...

...stupid