Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Falling asleep with earphones in

Started by Mobbd, May 06, 2022, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

After having my phone become scarily hot after having the genius idea of putting it under my pillow, and burning through a few cheap sub-piezo level music-pillows I found this: https://www.robertsradio.com/en-gb/accessories/pillow-talk#pt9918

Goes under the pillow and works amazingly well for a pillow speaker, through whatever combination of my pillow and the speaker when placing your ear to pretty much anywhere on the pillow you get clear sound but it's inaudible further away. It has a three way switch that I assume is just going through resistive loads to accommodate some kind of massive bed-side amplifier setup, but the loudest option works fine with a phone.

I will often forget to set the sleep timer and find myself in the middle of horrors worse than any nightmare I could dream up, some random section in the middle of 'New York 2140' left me too disturbed to go back to sleep but thankfully I've repressed the details now.

chutnut

I've been doing this for about 20 years now, luckily only had a blocked ear twice in that time.
I got some bluetooth headphones free with my latest phone (Samsung Galaxy Buds) a while back and it was pretty gamechanging at first (they're pretty decent sounding too). Then one day I started pranging about having a bluetooth antenna basically in my head for 8+ hours a night on top of the many hours I used them during the day, so now I'm back to the cheap iPhone style headphones at night time. They don't last very long and I get tangled up all the time but I'm used to it by now hth

Jockice

Only ever done it once as far as I can remember, after the day probably about 14 years ago when I went to a funeral followed by a wedding and got probably the most pissed I have this century*. I can remember waking up, thinking 'where the fuck am I?' and having The Style Council's You're The Best Thing*** in my head and realising I was actually hearing it before crawling into the bathroom and spending most of the morning vomiting.

*With the possible exeption of the first night in Toronto a couple of years later. I've only actually been drunk once since then (after my **********'s mum's funeral last year) but I didn't feel too bad on the latter occasion.

** A hotel room in Liverpool where I was sharing not only the room but a bed with a mate who didn't know the difference between a twin and double room and had flooded the very same bathroom before I even arrived.

*** Total chance. My ipod was on shuffle. Could have been something much more painful to listen to. An early Cabaret Voltaire b-side or one of The Fall's most 'challenging' numbers. I had lots of Fall stuff on there. I still can't listen to You're The Best Thing without retching though.

Mobbd

Quote from: chutnut on May 09, 2022, 10:24:40 AMI've been doing this for about 20 years now, luckily only had a blocked ear twice in that time.
I got some bluetooth headphones free with my latest phone (Samsung Galaxy Buds) a while back and it was pretty gamechanging at first (they're pretty decent sounding too). Then one day I started pranging about having a bluetooth antenna basically in my head for 8+ hours a night on top of the many hours I used them during the day, so now I'm back to the cheap iPhone style headphones at night time. They don't last very long and I get tangled up all the time but I'm used to it by now hth

Yeah, never had a blockage myself. Good to hear someone go back from Bluetooth as I predict that's what I'd end up doing too.

Mobbd

Let's bump this extremely interesting, important and vibrant thread.

As people here warned, I've been getting BLOCKED EARS and mild tinnitus from (oh so sexy) wax buildup from using in-ear headphones all night.

So I bought my first pair of soft headphones. It's an alice band-type thing with a little start/stop/volume panel on the front and flattish speakers in the sides.

I already hate everything about it. I'm conscious all night of wearing the thing, the buttons aren't raised so you can't really feel the controls with your fingers, the Bluetooth coupling takes ages to work and is fiddly, you can take calls on it which worries me because I don't understand that part of it and I'm scared I'll forehead-dial an elderly relative in the night who'll have to hear my filthy dream mumblings, and of course it needs charging every couple of days.

This is my first ever Bluetooth earpiece for anything, and I didn't know they needed charging. Yes, I know: moron. But my hat is fucked nonetheless. Why did someone think this would be the way forward? Wired headphones... just work. Isn't all the charging and coupling a steep price to pay to not have the wires we all used happily for decades?

*kicks table over and leaves*

EDIT: apparently it's not my first ever Bluetooth earpiece for anything. This thread opened with the riveting story of how I bought some Bluetooth earpieces. I had completely forgotten that. I think they charged in a little pod. I threw them away.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Then you wake up and your mums put a cup of tea on the bedside table next to you.

JesusAndYourBush

One time in the 80s I fell asleep with headphones on and one of the songs had an alarm clock in it and it made me jump out of my fucking skin and I ripped the headphones off my head wondering which cunt had set my alarm clock to go off and hidden it somewhere in my room (I had one that had the same ring, or close enough.)

It wasn't until I listened to the album again that I discovered that it was in the fucking song.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mobbd on March 23, 2024, 08:48:56 PMSo I bought my first pair of soft headphones. It's an alice band-type thing with a little start/stop/volume panel on the front and flattish speakers in the sides.

I got something similar thanks to this thread. I sleep on my side so I've never been able to sleep with headphones in, so I've got flat headphones in an eye mask.

I always used to sleep next to my laptop playing videos with the volume on low and the light down low, but it's way better this way.

The volume keys don't work for shit. They need a long press on the forward/backward skip buttons, but if you hold for too short then they end up skipping instead, and when the volume does start changing it happens so quickly that it's hard to set it to anywhere other than 0 or 100%.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 23, 2024, 10:40:23 PMOne time in the 80s I fell asleep with headphones on and one of the songs had an alarm clock in it and it made me jump out of my fucking skin and I ripped the headphones off my head wondering which cunt had set my alarm clock to go off and hidden it somewhere in my room (I had one that had the same ring, or close enough.)

It wasn't until I listened to the album again that I discovered that it was in the fucking song.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, were you?

Kankurette

I do it, I listen to brown noise on my phone to help me sleep. It also drowns out Gary meowing or scratching my door.

Ferris

I've often thought how easy and embarrassing it would be for me to choke to death mid-sleep on an airpod.

The coroner could still hear the Adam buxton podcast if they got me over there fast enough.

jobotic

Never owned headphones that were wireless. What am I missing? What could I be doing that I can't now?

madhair60

i once fell asleep with the radio on

crashed the car :(

touchingcloth

Quote from: jobotic on March 23, 2024, 11:29:28 PMNever owned headphones that were wireless. What am I missing? What could I be doing that I can't now?

I spend a lot of time listening with one headphone in when I've got a podcast on, and the other headphone always gets in the way with wired ones, as do the wires. They pause themselves when I take them out of my ear, which is handy if I'm gardening or cooking or cleaning and don't want to touch my phone or buttons with messy hands.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Mobbd on March 23, 2024, 10:28:10 PMI have calmed down a bit now.

Your rage will return when you get to buffering or mad drop out for no reason, even though they are next to each other what the fuck is that about.

WhoMe

I use these - Earfun 2S. Not had a problem with them, has felt like £30 well spent overall. Even had them on under ear defenders with no noticeable drop off in connection or sound.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: jobotic on March 23, 2024, 11:29:28 PMNever owned headphones that were wireless. What am I missing? What could I be doing that I can't now?

losing one earbud

Memorex MP3

I bought some cheap earphones from Aliexpress last week for the sole purpose of sleeping with. The description said they're designed to not cause any pressure issues when lying on them which is all I'm looking for really. There were also weird sleep mask headphone hybrid things I was curious about but they were bluetooth, I suspect there's a lot of sound bleeding out too.

Up until now I've mainly been sleeping with the earphones I got with the SBH24 mentioned in the last page. They're still really fucking good but I'm getting a bit afraid of breaking them in my sleep and they do feel a bit uncomfortable to lie on; gonna mod them to be sturdier but they'll be much less comfortable to sleep on then too.

I still use an MP3 player instead of my iPhone so there's no issue with headphone jack, plus it forces me to listen to longer stuff or music than getting stuck on youtube or whatever. Gonna guess my bedtime music listening will go down a lot when I switch from amazing Sony earbuds to shit aliexpress ones though.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on May 08, 2022, 08:37:45 PMAfter having my phone become scarily hot after having the genius idea of putting it under my pillow, and burning through a few cheap sub-piezo level music-pillows I found this: https://www.robertsradio.com/en-gb/accessories/pillow-talk#pt9918

Since phones don't have headphone jacks anymore, I now have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BB3KBW2B

Which I think is magic, as the sound cuts through the pillow exceedingly well, but the device itself is almost silent when uncovered, must be using the pillow or the other face of the pillow as a resonator.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 23, 2024, 10:45:35 PMTicking away the moments that make up a dull day, were you?

It was a Toyah album, can't remember which one.

dontpaintyourteeth