Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

missiom: inpossible: dead reckoning: part fucking one? oh christ. give over

Started by madhair60, May 23, 2022, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Bad Ambassador

It's nice to see that Tom Cruise's boss from the first film still looks the same age as well.

madhair60

i like mission impossible i think its good so i'm looking forward to this, not sure how i feel about this "part one" business though

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm not sure I really rate these. The stunts are obviously impressive, but everything else about them is just white noise. The plots are incomprehensible, the supporting characters are ciphers and Ethan Hunt is Poochie in human form.

Thomas

I haven't seen any of the flashy recent Missions Impossible, but I keep hearing that they're 'good actually'.

Just wanted to check before watching: is Simon Pegg really in them or is that a joke/Photoshop competition?

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 23, 2022, 03:59:38 PMI'm not sure I really rate these. The stunts are obviously impressive, but everything else about them is just white noise. The plots are incomprehensible, the supporting characters are ciphers and Ethan Hunt is Poochie in human form.

the plots aren't incomprehensible you're just fuck-thick, cheers

cheers

beanheadmcginty

Famous Mortimer

I've enjoyed all the ones I've seen (I think I missed the most recent one, for some reason). Nothing that's going to get you rewriting your all-time top ten or owt like that, but solidly entertaining.

Mister Six

The Mission: Impossible films are always stunningly well made, but I find they evaporate from my mind before I've even left the cinema. I think Mission: Impossible 3 was the last one that left any kind of impression on me beyond fragments of action scenes, and that might just be down to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I suppose it's nice that there's an action franchise that just makes one film every couple of years, but I find it hard to get too excited about these flicks now.

elliszeroed

The trailers always get me super excited.

"An anti-IMF! Oooh!"

But I always feel let down.

All style, a great style, but so empty. Like great tasting food that doesn't fill you up, maybe.

Edited to add: Next year, that's more than six months away! Why put a trailer out so early...?

Campbell Soupe

They are the cinematic definition of Ronseal aren't they?  Delivering exactly what you expect and doing it quite well. Pretty consistent too for a long running franchise.  Is there a consensus on "the shit one" in the series?

There's got to be a biblically hideous portrait of Cruise in the Hubbard family attic.  Pegg's aged 30years since his first MI outing, Cruise is literally moving backwards through time.

Derbyshire Watch! The train plunging off the cliff bit was filmed up the road from me.  Love me a bit of local flavour in my blockbusters, so will probably go see it just for that.

Chairman Yang

Nah, these are good fun.

An action movie where nobody is a fucking wizard or some CGI robot, exactly three chases, two reliable twists per movie and someone is going to explode a truck.

They've constantly attempted to actually put an actual story in these films for the past three or four and have struggled so maybe an explicit two-parter is a good idea?

Chairman Yang

The fucking neck on Tom Cruise getting that guy back from the first one too, he's not getting the magic makeup is he?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on May 23, 2022, 07:31:33 PMDerbyshire Watch! The train plunging off the cliff bit was filmed up the road from me. 
Ooh, whereabouts? I used to live in Chesterfield, and it probably wasn't filmed there because:

1. no cliffs
2. a bit shit

Hit for stunts.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 23, 2022, 04:42:17 PMthe plots aren't incomprehensible you're just fuck-thick, cheers

cheers
You're right. The plots aren't incomprehensible, they're non existent. The filmmakers distract everyone from this incontrovertible fact by throwing in a chase or someone taking off a mask every so often.

beanheadmcginty

Channel 4 repeated the original 1960s series on Sunday lunchtimes when I was a teenager during the 90s and I absolutely loved it. Something so satisfying about watching an elaborately constructed plan being played out in front of you (I think this is also a lot of the reason for the success of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul). I think these films are at their best when they are doing that kind of stuff. I'm not a fan of the way that seemingly every time there's some sort of double cross within the agency.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 23, 2022, 08:35:07 PMHit for stunts.
You're right. The plots aren't incomprehensible, they're non existent. The filmmakers distract everyone from this incontrovertible fact by throwing in a chase or someone taking off a mask every so often.

btw i feel bad about saying you were fuck-thick, I thought it would be funny and it amused me at the time but now I think it was yet another in a litany of mistakes

Replies From View

QDRPHNC

bgmnts

Christopher McQuarrie with one of the stranger career trajectories, debuting with one of the finest neo-noir thriller type films ever in the Usual Suspects, and then just hooking up with Tom Cruise and pumping out sci fi and action popcorn flicks.

Kelvin

One of the best things about Youtube is how much money I save watching set-pieces online. Who in their right mind gives a shit about these characters and plots, you might as well just type "Mission Impossible 5 Plane Stunt" into google.

Bad Ambassador

They don't have any of the wit and elegance of Bond, largely due to Cruise being such a dramatic dead weight in the middle. It's all superbly staged action and usually quite engaging plot, attractive direction and such, but always utterly hollow in the middle with no actual substance. The first was the best because it was before Cruise went totally berserk, so it still feels like it has some relationship with reality.

Jerzy Bondov

The jumping out the plane bit in the last one is shite. If you didn't know they did it for real you'd just assume it was done in a studio. Same with him flying a helicopter. All that effort for fuck all effect but it makes the Cruiser feel good so I guess it must be done

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on May 23, 2022, 07:31:33 PMThey are the cinematic definition of Ronseal aren't they?  Delivering exactly what you expect and doing it quite well. Pretty consistent too for a long running franchise.  Is there a consensus on "the shit one" in the series?

There's got to be a biblically hideous portrait of Cruise in the Hubbard family attic.  Pegg's aged 30years since his first MI outing, Cruise is literally moving backwards through time.

Derbyshire Watch! The train plunging off the cliff bit was filmed up the road from me.  Love me a bit of local flavour in my blockbusters, so will probably go see it just for that.

Cruise is ageing uncannily like an irradiated apple - peg is getting stronger and tastier like Edam

Replies From View

Who would win in a fight out of miss impossible and James Bond and Johnny English

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 24, 2022, 12:02:49 PMThe jumping out the plane bit in the last one is shite. If you didn't know they did it for real you'd just assume it was done in a studio. Same with him flying a helicopter. All that effort for fuck all effect but it makes the Cruiser feel good so I guess it must be done
Yeah, the parachute scene was kind of baffling. All that hype about it being the first ever real HALO jump in cinema (because only the mustiest of spods would know the difference between it and a normal skydive) and then the whole scene revolves around a CGI lightning storm anyway.

Despite not thinking CGI is the tool of the devil, I am all for more practically filmed action scenes. It's a shame that the biggest proponents of that sort of thing (your Cruise, your Nolans) don't put nearly as much effort into their stories and characters. Without that foundation, the stunts are as weightless as any superhero punchup.

Quote from: Thomas on May 23, 2022, 04:02:25 PMJust wanted to check before watching: is Simon Pegg really in them or is that a joke/Photoshop competition?
Professional actor Simon Pegg is indeed in these films. If you think that's unbelievable, his role was originally supposed to go to Ricky Gervais.

dissolute ocelot

Why don't they just make 2 separate films? Nobody cares about the plot, and it just means part 1 will end on a downer instead of a crowning dramatic moment.

I'm a fan of the films, and thought Fallout was a really great action movie: they all have great sequences, but Fallout seemed the most consistent. (And while Bonds have had some great stunts, they often feel shoehorned into the films from entirely different movies e.g. CR's little Die Hard 2 sequence, or QoS's opera montage and Flight of the Phoenix tribute. Doing stunts is the essence of Cruise's Hunt, while Bond sometimes seems embarrassed by action sequences and they're often disconnected from the plot. And Bond's tourism is even more egregious than MI.)

The plots don't make much sense (someone bad wants to do bad things for some reason which only sounded convincing when it was Philip Seymour Hoffmann) but are still better than James Bond which seem deliberately to have shitty villains with pointlessly complex schemes because that's the Bond way.

And the MI supporting characters provide a bit of amusement and camaraderie despite not distracting from little Tom Cruise running around all the time - better than Bond, and without the shit of Fast and Furious where they're always talking about family but don't seem to notice if someone is dead for 3 films then returns to life. Plus it's nice when Simon Pegg gets to do something cool.

I guess you could argue that Ethan Hunt has no personality while James Bond has the personality of being a cunt. Six and half a dozen.

sovietrussia

Watchable Sunday night eyewash, in particular the last few big ones (although they are entirely interchangeable in my mind and I couldn't tell you which one contains which story/stunt).

Pegg should become the villain in a future instalment, following a horrifying face accident.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on May 23, 2022, 11:16:03 PMChristopher McQuarrie with one of the stranger career trajectories, debuting with one of the finest neo-noir thriller type films ever in the Usual Suspects, and then just hooking up with Tom Cruise and pumping out sci fi and action popcorn flicks.

I dunno, if I could clock an Oscar, then coast the rest of my career writing stuff like

EXT. EXOTIC LOCATION -- DAY
BOOM! Jack Impossiblemission glances over his shoulder and grits his teeth as the thing explodes behind him. But Dirk Turncoat is closing in fast!

I fucking would.

(I know, I know, it's not as easy as he makes it look. And Edge of Tomorrow was ace.)