Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you happily watch many times

Started by Bigfella, June 14, 2022, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfella

There are films of which I could almost play all the parts myself.  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Stir Crazy, Pulp Fiction,the Christopher Reeve Supermans, any Indiana Jones, A Shot in the Dark, Monty Python films.  The funny thing is, it isn't just a case of "any brilliant film".  It has to have a certain feel, a certain look. 

Mobius

kalowski

checkoutgirl

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Prometheus (2012)
Alien Covenant (2017)
Clue (1985)
Withnail and I (1986)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Batman (1989) - with Kevin Smith commentary
In Search Of Darkness (2019)
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother (1975)
Windy City Heat (2003)
Tombstone (1993)
I Am Divine (2013)
This Filthy World (2006)
Rewind This! (2013)
Kingpin (1996)
Rhythm Thief (1994)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Dig! (2004)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Brain Candy (1996)
Friday (1995)

And I'll pop on the original Star Wars and Superman films at Christmas.

Sebastian Cobb

Long Goodbye
Repo Man
They Live
Delicatessen
Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future
Moon
Foxy Brown
Robocop
Double Indemnity
Jackie Brown
Hard Target
Blues Brothers
Planes, Trains and Autimobiles
Uncle Buck
Local Hero
Comfort and Joy
Bill and Ted

kalowski

Twit 2

Withnail & I, Days of Heaven, Time Bandits, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Spirited Away, Monty Python films, Radio Days, Jaws, Goodfellas, The Apartment, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, The Big Lebowski, Road to Perdition, House of Flying Daggers...I dunno just any film that is good at doing what it does.

Crenners

The Thing gets better and better

The Wicker Man I've seen and owned dozens of times, so much to enjoy

Bugsy Malone I've possibly seen more than a thousand times but only a few times in the last decade

Suspiria and Deep Red I've seen about half a dozen times in the past year and I only enjoy them more

Chungking Express and Cinema Paradiso make me cry with happiness every time

Akira and Laputa never fail to blow me away with the animation and music

House is eternally engaging, fun and funny to me

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is an extremely watchable kaiju classic

RoboCop, Jaws and American Werewolf only get richer and tighter over time, it's strange. Total masterworks.

On the other hand there are certain films I absolutely adore that I've only seen once or twice and almost don't want to go back. Probably for another thread.

beanheadmcginty

Predator, Commando, Total Recall, Robocop, Smokey and the Bandit, Cannnonball Run II, The Taking of Pelham 123, Weird Science.

QDRPHNC

markburgle

non capisco

Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Repo Man and the 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers are definitely my main three comfort blanket wallow movies. During the first lockdown I also got really quite obsessed with the 1961 UK sci-fi apocalypse film The Day The Earth Caught Fire and watched at least a bit of that something like every other day for a few months.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: non capisco on June 15, 2022, 12:29:24 AMThe Day The Earth Caught Fire

Is that the one where Michael Caine makes his debut in a blink and you'll miss it appearance as a copper near the end?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 14, 2022, 10:21:13 PMThe Burbs.

This and Sneakers which I'm also adding to the list, are both films I stumbled upon late-night tv halfway through more than once before knowing what they were. Knew the endings well but not the set-up.

Stigdu

Ace Ventura if I want a giggle.
The Thing to sate my horror fix.
Vertigo if I want to get all emotional.

Neomod

The Rock
Comfort and Joy (crimbo especially)
Los Angeles Plays Itself (3 hour doc on LA film locations)
The Governess
Finisterre
Gregory's Girl/Local Hero
London (Patrick Keiller not Jason Statham)
SW: A New Hope
Rogue One - A Star Wars joint
Summer Holiday/Jesus Christ Superstar
The Knack and How to Get It
Belleville Rendevous
Amélie
Rushmore/Life Aquatic/Tenenbaums/Grand Budapest

Bigfella

I forgot to mention Arsenic and Old Lace.  One night at my mate's house he held up a tape with a black and white picture of Cary Grant and said  'We're watching this tonight'.  I wondered if he was kidding.  Turned out to be an unexpected delight.  Who'd have thought that a man leading an imaginary 'charge' up a staircase would be so hilarious!  Full of lovely little touches, like the people in the registry office queue who turn and wink good luck to the happy couple, and the running gag with the taxi driver.

SteveDave

Jaws
Superbad
The Wicker Man
Chinatown
and more recently Into The Spider-Verse

Fambo Number Mive

Robocop (1987) is my favourite film and the film I have watched the most.

Glebe

Sebastian Cobb

Trading Places, although I'm now resigned to the fact I'll never properly understand the ending.

Josef K

Only really tend to rewatch films that are visually stunning so mostly scifi or impressively shot action.
All pretty obvious stuff, but:

John Wick trilogy
Mad Max: Fury Road
Blade Runners
In The Mood for Love
Playtime
Police Story 1&2 (3 is bastard hard to find legally)
The Alien Franchise
Blade Runners
The Fly

Also a few comedy films with incredible performances that make it a treat to rewatch

Tampopo
Supermarket Woman
Big Lebowski
Monty Pythons

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Too many to list. Midnight Run is one I'll always watch to the end if I change the channel and find it on, regardless of how late it is.

I've found as I get older that I feel sort of guilty about rewatching things. I've got so much stuff I've never seen before bookmarked on various streaming services, it feels wasteful to wallow in nostalgia instead. At the same time, wallowing in nostalgia is increasingly what I want to do.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 15, 2022, 12:13:53 PMTrading Places, although I'm now resigned to the fact I'll never properly understand the ending.
It's not that complex: Lobster or crab for lunch.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Fight Club. It's one of those ones I'll happily watch for half an hour when I'm channel hopping before something else starts.

Angst in my Pants

Most(/all?) of my regular re-watches are pretty embarrassing:
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Shock Treatment
  • Clue
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Stepford Wives (1975)
  • Josie and the Pussycats
  • Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
  • Funny Girl
  • Gypsy (1962)
  • Airplane!
  • Scott Pilgrim vs the World
  • Scream (1996)
  • Moulin Rouge!
  • Cry Baby
  • Singin' in the Rain

My husband also has lots of "comfort films", so I've ended up re-watching Jaws, The Towering Inferno, The Thing and Earthquake through his habits.

beanheadmcginty

The Ombudsman

Withnail & I
Rear Window
National Lampoons Family Vacation
Dr Strangelove
Silver Streak

Those are the ones that come to mind.

Non film wise, I can always watch a Columbo.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crenners on June 14, 2022, 09:56:31 PMBugsy Malone I've possibly seen more than a thousand times but only a few times in the last decade

More than a thousand times? My eye.