Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joe Turkel RIP

Started by Keebleman, July 02, 2022, 01:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

One of only two actors to appear in three Kubrick movies (quick, triviaistas, who was the other?) has passed away.  He was a minor hood in The Killing, Lloyd the Bartender in The Shining, but his best Kubrickian work was as Private Arnaud, the most intellectual of the three soldiers being tried for cowardice in Paths of Glory.

Here he is at a convention a few years ago.  Seems a great guy (don't know about that WW2 theory though).  Would have been an ideal guest for Gilbert Gottfried's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9RA9VR_eQ

QDRPHNC

The Shining is one my favourite films and Lloyd is one the best parts of it. Comforting and unsettling at the same time.

Tomorrow I will go my local, which is called Lloyd's in his honour, and have a drink.

I was planning on that anyway, but still.

Glebe

Yeah great as Lloyd and of course Tyrell in Blade Runner. RIP Mr. Turkel.

phantom_power

Quote from: Keebleman on July 02, 2022, 01:49:53 AMOne of only two actors to appear in three Kubrick movies

Only two actors to be *credited* in three Kubrick movies*

*Yes I am a twat

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long... but you were so very old, Joe.

At the risk of damning with faint praise, his replicant tycoon was soooo much better than Jared Leto's.

dissolute ocelot

I think he's the creepiest thing/person in The Shining, which is quite an achievement for that film.

Ant Farm Keyboard

My go-to film for Kubrickian actors is The Pink Panther Strikes Again. It has cast members who cover every film by Kubrick from 1960 to 1975 with Peter Sellers (Lolita, Dr Strangelove), Herbert Lom (Spartacus), Leonard Rossiter (2001, Barry Lyndon) and John Clive (A Clockwork Orange).
Revenge of the Pink Panther retains Sellers, Lom, and Clive, and adds Ferdy Mayne (Barry Lyndon) and Adrienne Corri (A Clockwork Orange).

AzureSky

Quote from: Keebleman on July 02, 2022, 01:49:53 AMOne of only two actors to appear in three Kubrick movies (quick, triviaistas, who was the other?) has passed away.  He was a minor hood in The Killing, Lloyd the Bartender in The Shining, but his best Kubrickian work was as Private Arnaud, the most intellectual of the three soldiers being tried for cowardice in Paths of Glory.

Here he is at a convention a few years ago.  Seems a great guy (don't know about that WW2 theory though).  Would have been an ideal guest for Gilbert Gottfried's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9RA9VR_eQ

Was it Philip Stone? Seem to remember him in at least 2.

Ant Farm Keyboard

That was Stone, who managed to appear in three films in a row: he was Alex's dad in A Clockwork Orange, Lord Bullingdon's accountant in Barry Lyndon and of course Delbert Grady, who's not the caretaker, in The Shining.

Keebleman

Yep, Philip Stone is the one.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 02, 2022, 10:33:45 AMOnly two actors to be *credited* in three Kubrick movies*

This is interesting.  Is there one or more who made up to three appearances without credit on any/all?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Katharina Kubrick, his adopted daughter, was an extra on A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut.
She was also an intern on The Spy Who Loved Me and came up with the design of Jaws' teeth.
Vivian Kubrick, his younger daughter, has a speaking part in 2001, as Dr. Floyd's daughter. She later appeared as an extra in Barry Lyndon, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket (she also wrote the score as "Abigail Mead").

Norman Gay was in Clockwork, Barry Lyndon and The Shining, the only Kubrick film where he got a credit. He's the ghost in a tuxedo with the cracked head