Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:06:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Triangle of Sadness

Started by Sebastian Cobb, October 13, 2022, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I loved The Menu and expected a bit more of the same from this. 106 mins vs 150 mins should have told me which one I would vastly prefer.

Mobius

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 28, 2022, 10:59:30 AMthere's no need for subtitles, anything that isn't in English isn't necessarily meant to be understood/you can get it from the context

Ah okay yeah I got that they were being asked to move seats, in French.

I thought the whole 'part 1' was going to be in foreign!

Blue Jam

To be fair I didn't think this was entirely merit-free:

I liked the fashion show stuff and the celebrities about people adopting feminist attitudes for show but then not wanting to split the bill and having no problem with the woman's menu having no prices, but then it went nowhere.

I enjoyed Woody Harrelson as the Captain and I enjoyed the whole Communist Marxist American vs Capitalist Russian banter (especially them having to look up all the famous quotes on their phones) but again it went nowhere. I then liked the "every man according to his need" stuff on the island (which was hugely appreciated by a group of people I assumed were PPE students at the screening I went to) but again, it felt like a half-realised idea.

This felt like a collection of sketches that didn't quite work as a film (cf the excellent Official Competition) and were stretched to breaking point. Still, good companion piece to The Menu I guess.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 28, 2022, 07:34:29 PMThought this was a gigantic bag of wank. Only the third time I've walked out of a film. Would have felt insulted if I'd stayed to the end, especially after I looked up how it ended:

Spoiler alert
I left after they twatted the donkey. A donkey? A domesticated animal on an island? Come on guys, isn't that a gigantic clue that you've washed up in civilisation? Did none of you seasoned sea dogs even consider walking a bit further over the hill?
[close]

Aaaarrrggghh.

Spoiler alert
Why would any one of the people on that island know enough about animal husbandry to recognise a donkey as a domesticated animal?
[close]

Mobius

Alright I watched it, you were right about the subtitle thing I should have not just turned it off in a huff the other day

Really good film! Enjoyed it a lot, maybe a bit long but yeah great stuff

Custard

I like that the film is basically in three chapters. Before the boat (the modelling), the boat, the desert island. Each different, and each teeming with bleakness and madness and people trying to seem important

Spoiler alert
The cleaner aggressively taking over when they get to the island just cos she can hunt was a superb touch, and her quickly becoming just as power mad and corrupt and manic as the rich cunts was excellent. The sheer grimness of her telling the young bloke to follow her to her tent, using him for sex for the occasional bag of crackers or whatever they were. Seemingly wanting to kill lady model at the end just to cling on to her private little queendom. Brilliant
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Currently watching this. Fucking terrible. Sub-adolescent political ideas, story that makes no sense (PUT THE SHELLFISH BACK IN THE FRIDGE), wildly unoriginal. The second half is The Admirable Crichton, and ahh, do you  see that rich people are incapable of anything and power corrupts? Yes, because I'm not a fucking toddler.

Why does that couple - named Winston and Clementine because satire - stand there holding a live grenade trying to decide if it's one of theirs until it just goes off and kills them? Are they supposed to be that fucking stupid? Don't the pirates realise that randomly lobbing grenades around is a bad idea?

There's a lot of snobbery in using scatalogical humour, because this is a real film, so you're allowed to have shit and vom all over the place because satire, unlike in, say, Jackass, which is demonstrably more intelligent and creative. And funnier. Worst Best Picture nominee since Darkest Hour, and that was a fucking war crime.

I'll put this down to an issue with the distribution or data file, but watching it on Amazon Prime, all the dialogue in French and German is subtitled, but in French and German rather than English, which is either someone's stupid cock-up or a completely pointless chinwank.

Keebleman

Just watched this.  I was entertained throughout, more or less, but each Chapter was substantially weaker than the preceding one.  By the end the script was so half-hearted it was starting to feel like an episode of some crappy 70s sitcom deep into its run.

I thought Harris Dickinson was superb.  It's hard for actors to convincingly play people who aren't very bright.  Often the performance is obviously going for laughs or pathos or whatever. But here I felt he must be that guy, except if he was that guy, his performance wouldn't have been nearly as good.