Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Barbie (2023)

Started by Blumf, December 17, 2022, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Teaser trailer has dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obzdpJQ3y7M

I'm kinda pumped for this, looks like it might be daft fun.

Haven't seen any of director Greta Gerwig's work, but she seems like a good fit.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517268/

Wife said Ryan Gosling as Ken is an 'uphill wank'

madhair60

straight in. looks like fuckin Speed Racer!

Butchers Blind

The trailer was well made. Doubt I'll watch the actual film.

Mister Six

That looks like a hoot. First locked-on cinema viewing of 2023!

Glebe

It's kinda bull that Barbie is being ret-conned as some kind of feminist icon.

Mister Six

I'm not sure that's the case.

Glebe

Mebbe not, but it just seems like she's being set up as some kind of heroine.

Mister Six

I think it's probably going to be drowning in irony. I can't see the writer and director of Lady Bird being oblivious to the problematic nature of the Barbie doll and what it represents.

Although I'll admit that I'm mostly just delighted to see Ryan Gosling doing more out-and-out comedy.

Blumf

Of course Barbie is going to be the hero, but that doesn't mean she can't be subverted.

It'll be interesting to see how much leeway they get from the brand's owners (Mattel?). In an ideal world, you'd have some kind of John Waters style take down of the whole concept. In reality, they won't want anything too vicious, it'll have to be family friendly, but you can still dust it with a thick layer of irony.

PlanktonSideburns

Had me at gosling dilf-twink

mjwilson

There was a Barbie show on Netflix, I think it was, that was smarter and more subversive than you would have expected.

Don't ask me how I know this.

up_the_hampipe

Barbie and Oppenheimer are releasing on the same day. I might try to see them back-to-back.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

El Unicornio, mang

Gosling seems like a bit of an odd choice for Ken. Thought someone like James Marsden or Zac Efron might be better (at least visually)

Glebe

Memorex MP3

James Marsden would be a great pick!

I don't expect this to be very good but I expect it to get rave reviews. Think Gerwig is kind of done but even if she isn't I've not liked her work that's exclusively behind the camera at all.

dissolute ocelot

Gosling is definitely curious casting. Channing Tatum would also be good. (Surely Ken sings and dances. Surely nobody wants to see Gosling sing and dance any more.)

The trailer definitely gets a prize for telling you nothing about the movie. Unless it's all done in the style of different Stanley Kubrick films. Nice Clockwork Orange homage, bit of Eyes Wide Shut party, alcoholic Ken talking to dead bartender...

Mister Six

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 19, 2022, 10:34:04 PMGosling is definitely curious casting. Channing Tatum would also be good. (Surely Ken sings and dances. Surely nobody wants to see Gosling sing and dance any more.)

The trailer definitely gets a prize for telling you nothing about the movie. Unless it's all done in the style of different Stanley Kubrick films. Nice Clockwork Orange homage, bit of Eyes Wide Shut party, alcoholic Ken talking to dead bartender...

Action Man hollers and waves a cowboy hat as he rides a nuke straight to oblivion.

Blumf

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyt3Ov4zz0

Humm... "beach off" joke stretched a bit there.

Bad Ambassador

Feels like The Lego Movie crossed with The Neverending Story II.

kitsofan34

Quite the career pivot for Noah Baumbach. Like Barry Jenkins doing a Lion King sequel.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't know what an uphill wank is.

Mister Six

Quote from: kitsofan34 on April 05, 2023, 07:55:51 PMQuite the career pivot for Noah Baumbach. Like Barry Jenkins doing a Lion King sequel.

Well, he already wrote Madagascar 3...

(It's quite good, mind you.)

fucking ponderous

Looks like a solid "watch if a child relative puts it on or I am on a plane" film. It does seem more intelligent and creative than a film based off a toy would be, but it's still a film based on a toy.

QDRPHNC

Sorry no. Tired of stuff bring subverted now.

madhair60

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 06, 2023, 10:08:51 AMSorry no. Tired of stuff bring subverted now.

hahaha, what?!

QDRPHNC

idunnosomename

Is the baldy from Aqua going to pop up

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 05, 2023, 04:45:08 PMFeels like The Lego Movie crossed with Masters of the Universe.

Fixed.

Butchers Blind

So Barbie goes into 'real world'? Original idea there.