Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Barbie (2023)

Started by Blumf, December 17, 2022, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Strange feeling watching a trailer that feels like absolutely nobody is having fun while it constantly goes FUN FUN FUN at you.

phantom_power

I can only imagine there is some sort of subversive reason Baumbach and Gerwig chose to write and direct this film. They must have had an idea about how to make a Barbie film interesting in some way which is hard to get across in the trailer. It sort of creeps through in places but not in a defined enough way to get a proper handle on yet

QDRPHNC

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Feels like The Lego Movie crossed with The Seventh Seal.

samadriel

Feels like The Lego Movie crossed with Salo.

dead-ced-dead

Ryan Gosling excels in comedies so it's nice more filmmakers are utilising that.

Avril Lavigne

Feels like Life-Size crossed with Enchanted, literally though.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 06, 2023, 10:44:41 AMSo Barbie goes into 'real world'? Original idea there.
Well it worked for the Brady Bunch.

I'd much rather see a film where Jordan Peterson is transformed into Barbie World and forced to stick plastic horse accessories up his pee-hole for 2 hours.

Looks like Toy Story meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit meets Maxie's World.

PlanktonSideburns

Feel like I'm either going to love this or it will be torture

Replies From View

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 05, 2023, 08:01:25 PMI don't know what an uphill wank is.

'wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wank wank wank wank wank wank....'

idunnosomename

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 09, 2023, 05:43:39 PMFeel like I'm either going to love this or it will be torture
why not both

Replies From View

imagine trying to separate those two things with a straight face

PlanktonSideburns

Look, its one or the other, stop making a big deal of this

Blue Jam

Love the "If you love Barbie you'll love this/If you hate Barbie you'll love this" marketing tactic. Fallen for that already nrrrgghh.

I'm indifferent to Barbie but this looks fun, will probably check it out. The trailer also makes it look like Don't Worry Darling but a lot more interesting.

Nowhere Man

I feel like an alien surrounded by all the hype for this. To me, this movie looks like absolute wank, but everyone is loving it. Even writing this post I feel like [banned troll]. Hell maybe I'm just blinded by how atrocious the Fun, Fun, Fun remix was in the trailer.

I hope most of you also believe this looks like cack shite and not even good in an ironic way, because it's making me question my sanity!

Nowhere Man

I mean it might be alright idk

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 12, 2023, 09:33:12 AMI feel like an alien surrounded by all the hype for this. To me, this movie looks like absolute wank, but everyone is loving it. Even writing this post I feel like [banned troll]. Hell maybe I'm just blinded by how atrocious the Fun, Fun, Fun remix was in the trailer.

I hope most of you also believe this looks like cack shite and not even good in an ironic way, because it's making me question my sanity!

The idea could be great in a mad camp way, but it is directed by someone who for me, has so far made quite boring films, more boring than they think they are also - its not just that they're being arch, they just seem a bit dry

If this was a camp as Christmas, b52s level daftness, but with good heart - great, but that totally desire drained dualipa disco funeral March tune makes me think this is going to be as blank and dull as goslings gormless twinkbot face

Would love to be wrong though. You are not alone nowhere man

Icehaven

Bet there's a Sindy film already in the pipeline, maybe directed by, I dunno, that one who did Fleabag.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Icehaven on July 12, 2023, 11:30:34 AMBet there's a Sindy film already in the pipeline, maybe directed by, I dunno, that one who did Fleabag.

See, she might make it quite fun

Who directed legally blonde? That's the vibe I want here - funny, camp but with heart

Who directed booksmart? That would work

Thursday

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 12, 2023, 09:33:12 AMI feel like an alien surrounded by all the hype for this. To me, this movie looks like absolute wank, but everyone is loving it. Even writing this post I feel like [banned troll]. Hell maybe I'm just blinded by how atrocious the Fun, Fun, Fun remix was in the trailer.

It's odd, it feels like the marketing is trying to hint that it's doing something weird and subversive, but then it actually just ends up being a fairly standard fish out of water comedy.  Also just the thing of "Haha it's a Barbie movie, but it's not for kids!!!" People seem to have already decided they love it as well.

phantom_power

The early reviews of this say it is fun and camp but also a commentary on modern society, which is pretty much what I expected from the publicity

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 12, 2023, 11:43:16 AMSee, she might make it quite fun

Who directed legally blonde? That's the vibe I want here - funny, camp but with heart

Who directed booksmart? That would work
The guy who directed Legally Blonde, Robert Luketic, went on to make The Ugly Truth, reckoned by some to be the worst rom-com ever, while Booksmart's director Olivia Wilde followed it up with the opinion-dividing Don't Worry Darling (which I've not seen).

Betty Thomas directed The Brady Bunch Movie and Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, and while I was sure she was dead, Wikipedia doesn't seem to think so, so give her the job! Even if she is dead! Or Penelope Spheeris, who is also allegedly still capable of converting food and oxygen into carbon dioxide and instructions to actors.

Have the Simpsons writers done a Malibu Stacy movie yet?

13 schoolyards

It's aimed at a market that isn't usually served directly by Hollywood blockbusters and they are going absolutely nuts for it. I'm in a job where I got an invite to the local premiere (can't go, gave the ticket back), and I've had four people ask me if I can get them in, which is four people more than have asked me about every other film I've been invited to in the last few years.

It's been interesting seeing a completely different demographic acting like Marvel fans when you suggest that an upcoming film just looks "all right"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 12, 2023, 02:21:00 PMBooksmart's director Olivia Wilde followed it up with the opinion-dividing Don't Worry Darling (which I've not seen).
The story is piffle, but I remember it being pretty well-directed.

Sebastian Cobb

Weirdly I'm quite intrigued to see this but I'm not sure why. There's lots of high profile shit and reboots that capture the zeitgeist that I'm happy to ignore.

Part of me hopes it'll be some weird studio mistake that ends up being a film for adults, like when they let Bobby Altman direct Popeye even though it won't be.

C_Larence

The only clip I've seen from the movie looked awful, like a car advert. The marketing campaign has been something else though. Pitting it against Oppenheimer was a genius move.

Apologies for the twitter link but I can't find the clip on youtube
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1676279394736676869?s=46

Sebastian Cobb

I unironically reckon I want to see it more than oppenheimer.

PlanktonSideburns

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion - that was fun, who made that

beanheadmcginty

From the trailer, this seems to be a rip-off of the old Sheila's Wheels advert. Would explain why it's called Barbie and stars an Australian actress.