Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Barbie (2023)

Started by Blumf, December 17, 2022, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I have seen that "Oppenbarbie" and "Barbenheimer" are now A Thing thanks to large numbers of people booking tickets for both films at once, and I now hate myself for having planned to do exactly the same thing. Nrrgghh.

Midas

no offence but why would anyone above the age of 6 want to see a barbie film

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Midas on July 12, 2023, 08:41:12 PMno offence but why would anyone above the age of 6 want to see a barbie film

Something to do inni

phantom_power

Quote from: Midas on July 12, 2023, 08:41:12 PMno offence but why would anyone above the age of 6 want to see a barbie film

You could say the same about The Lego Movie and that was great

PlanktonSideburns

Let's not pretend that our desires are significantly more sophisticated than a child's, no one is fooled

MoreauVasz

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 13, 2023, 08:50:52 AMLet's not pretend that our desires are significantly more sophisticated than a child's, no one is fooled

Yeah... Significant and sophisticated desires for children. Seems plausible to me.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 12, 2023, 06:50:28 PMI have seen that "Oppenbarbie" and "Barbenheimer" are now A Thing thanks to large numbers of people booking tickets for both films at once, and I now hate myself for having planned to do exactly the same thing. Nrrgghh.

Doesn't even sound like much fun, you'd have to keep running between the screens and you'd miss half of both films.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Icehaven on July 13, 2023, 01:15:00 PMDoesn't even sound like much fun, you'd have to keep running between the screens and you'd miss half of both films.

So long as you're back for "I am become death", you should be okay.

dontpaintyourteeth

That is the best bit in Barbie by all accounts

Blue Jam

Funcrusher

Chuck a few more Hiroshimans on the Barbie.

beanheadmcginty

Every single week there are several films released on the same day at the cinema. More often than not those films will have wildly different subject matters and aesthetics. So why is everyone shitting, pissing and spunking their pants about Barbie and Oppenheimer coming out on the same day in particular?

Blue Jam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 13, 2023, 05:20:33 PMEvery single week there are several films released on the same day at the cinema. More often than not those films will have wildly different subject matters and aesthetics. So why is everyone shitting, pissing and spunking their pants about Barbie and Oppenheimer coming out on the same day in particular?

...because it's unusual to see two blockbusters released on the same day when neither of them are superhero films?

I dunno

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 13, 2023, 05:20:33 PMEvery single week there are several films released on the same day at the cinema. More often than not those films will have wildly different subject matters and aesthetics. So why is everyone shitting, pissing and spunking their pants about Barbie and Oppenheimer coming out on the same day in particular?

Because it's the last one before we all die

centristmelt

Oppenheimer before Barbie rather than the other way round, though right? You don't want to eat your pudding first.

Blue Jam

Quote from: centristmelt on July 13, 2023, 05:57:01 PMOppenheimer before Barbie rather than the other way round, though right? You don't want to eat your pudding first.

Chocolate bombe for dessert

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: centristmelt on July 13, 2023, 05:57:01 PMOppenheimer before Barbie rather than the other way round, though right? You don't want to eat your pudding first.

Split screen, wizard of oz/pink floyd style

phantom_power

It is very rarely such big films and such diverse subject matters and tones. It isn't really that hard to see why it is "a thing" is it. It's just a bit of fun. There is no shitting, pissing or spunking from most people

beanheadmcginty

Tens of millions of people. Pants full of spunk, shit and piss. Already queueing for the cinemas.

Goldentony

luckily there's a 6 and a half hour documentary about the Cardiacs opening on the same day

Mister Six

Because they're rarely as wildly different as a female-directed, woman-focused, colourful comedy film about a child's toy and a male-directed, man-focused, intensely lit and near-monochromatic drama biopic about a guy who helped create the atomic bomb. Obviously. And comparing these mononymic, proper-noun-titled films with one another is a fun thing to do.

Why the wet blanketry?

beanheadmcginty

I bet I could find countless examples of this happening over the years if I could be bothered. Just strikes me as one of those situations where people get excited about something because the internet has hyped them up, when in the past no one would've even batted an eyelid because it is an entirely unremarkable occurrence.

Mister Six

beanheadmcginty

The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia?

C_Larence

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 13, 2023, 11:44:11 PMI bet I could find countless examples of this happening over the years if I could be bothered. Just strikes me as one of those situations where people get excited about something because the internet has hyped them up, when in the past no one would've even batted an eyelid because it is an entirely unremarkable occurrence.
Yeah it's part of the marketing. Reminds me of the console wars.

A lot of the original meme-worthy buzz around Barbie also had to do with the fact that it is a facially absurd concept (a movie inspired by Barbie?) that is being directed by Greta Gerwig, whose last two films were critically acclaimed Oscar nominees. If it was a journeyman director far fewer if any people would care.

Mister Six

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 14, 2023, 12:14:49 AMThe Dark Knight and Mamma Mia?

Their titles and types of film are too dissimilar. Like I said, the title and focus on a singular figure is part of the entertaining contrast. It's not just that the films are very different - to ludicrous extremes - but also that they have superficial similarities.

Quote from: C_Larence on July 14, 2023, 12:35:39 AMYeah it's part of the marketing. Reminds me of the console wars.

Totally different; the two are being presented as an amusing contrast, not rivals for the same market, and much of the (hnngh) discourse around them is about watching them both in a double-bill.

All of this has emerged quite organically on social media; I've been watching it since the beginning.

As usual, some people are having fun on the internet, and CaBbers feel the need to pour scorn in order to prove how much smarter and more unique they are than the herd.

C_Larence

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2023, 04:21:24 AMAll of this has emerged quite organically on social media

I have a hard time believing anything about it is organic. Barbie's marketing campaign has been extremely heavy handed.

13 schoolyards

The rivalry might be organic in other parts of the world, but here in Australia they're both being released by the same distributor - if they thought there was the slightest chance that one might hurt the box office of the other they'd have found a way to stagger the release dates.

Clearly the future of cinema is months and months of no new releases at all then six months worth of new releases all out on the same day while we're being told that unless we see them one directly after the other we won't understand any of them and our brains will also possibly explode

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2023, 04:21:24 AMTheir titles and types of film are too dissimilar. Like I said, the title and focus on a singular figure is part of the entertaining contrast. It's not just that the films are very different - to ludicrous extremes - but also that they have superficial similarities.

What's the age gap between Barbie and Ken?

Yeah, I was being a bit sneery before, sorry.