Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone else see Come True (2020/21)? Interested to hear your thoughts if so.

Quote from: convulsivespace on January 26, 2022, 02:55:28 AMAnyone else see Come True (2020/21)? Interested to hear your thoughts if so.

I quite liked it. A lot of people have been losing their shit about the ending but I have to admit, I thought it ended well. Regarding the film overall, I thought there were a couple of things in it that didn't work but on the whole I found it pretty decent.  It seemed to nail the Cronenberg style and had an effective skewed atmosphere that worked very well.  And the soundtrack is a banger.

Rev+

Black Friday is a horror-comedy set in a shop on the dreaded day, with the initial idea that the place gets invaded with zombies in search of big-screen TVs and such.  It gets much, much crazier.

It's a silly load of old bollocks but I really enjoyed it for what it was.  Bruce Campbell is in it, so that should be an indication of the tone.  It's very much a film that Bruce Campbell's in.

SteveDave

Quote from: convulsivespace on January 26, 2022, 02:55:28 AMAnyone else see Come True (2020/21)? Interested to hear your thoughts if so.

I remember groaning at the ending. Inspired by seeing it mentioned here, I looked up what else the director had done and watched "Our House" the other night.

A college student invents a thing that will give the world wireless electricity. Then his parents die so he has to look after his brother and sister. He keeps the machine in his garage. When he turns it on again, strange things happen. His sister thinks it's their mum and dad making contact.

It was OK but too much exposition happened too late. It also had the corny "It's all over...OR IS IT?!" ending.

mjwilson

Quote from: SteveDave on January 29, 2022, 08:26:20 AMI remember groaning at the ending.

Oh yeah, terrible ending.

Amulet is in cinemas now - first film directed by Romala Garai. (Might have been out in the US for a while? So maybe some of you have seen it by other means.)

I thought it was pretty good. Maybe the revelations come a bit too thick-and-fast at the end and could have been spaced out a bit more, but there was some nice creepy stuff and some creepy creatures.

Famous Mortimer

I've decided to check out the career of Charles Pinion, who made a handful of no-budget splatter-ish films around Florida in the late 80s to the late 90s, then nothing til 2015.

Twisted Issues (1988)

A skate-punk kid is killed by a bunch of permed rocker types, then is brought back to life by a mad scientist, drills his own feet into a skateboard and heads out for revenge. Footage from basement punk shows, real / unpleasant animal mutilation shots, and what might be a framing device of a guy (played by the director) murdering his girlfriend and sitting down to watch...the other half of the movie? Random gore footage? Don't know.

But it's pretty remarkable what they did with zero dollars, and they even use the shot-on-VHS nature of it all in an interesting way. I can't bear more modern shot-on-digital low-budget horror stuff, because it's easy to make and the people making it have no interesting ideas. But you needed some determination to make a gore movie in 1988.

I wouldn't want to watch Charles Pinion movies every day, but he definitely had some interesting ideas.

phantom_power

Eyes Without a Face (1960) - Like a black and white Human Centipede, but classier. Really creepy atmosphere and very graphic for its time in places. Let down a bit by the too-stupid police at the end

holyzombiejesus

The Black String (2018) - quite good fun, free on Prime. Liked some of the soundtrack, it starts with this fun Lou Reed pastiche. Stars a pound shop Aaron Paul who, after a one-night stand through some shadowy agency, develops a nasty rash and starts to believe he's been possessed.

jonnyunitus

Just had a look at The Black String on RT and the pound shop Aaron Paul is Frankie Muniz, aka Malcom in the Middle! Looks interesting. A couple of the reviews liken it to It Follows, which I liked, might give it a go tonight 

holyzombiejesus

He's good in it (I've never seen MITM so didn't know) and comes across sympathetically. I liked the film although it rambles a bit and it feels like parts weren't really thought out.

Small Man Big Horse

Vampire Clay (2017) - A bunch of art students in a tiny village school are attacked by some blood drinking clay. Discounting the opening and closing credits it's 76 minutes long but it still feels like it could have been a good 15 minutes shorter, and stretches its thin premise to breaking point. Which is a shame as the effects are really great, creepily grotesque and disgusting, but the the script is far too simplistic and these are some of the most unmemorable characters ever created. 6.2/10

holyzombiejesus

Who could ever have imagined that a film about some art students being attacked by blood-drinking clay might not be very good.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2022, 06:42:32 PMVampire Clay (2017) - A bunch of art students in a tiny village school are attacked by some blood drinking clay. Discounting the opening and closing credits it's 76 minutes long but it still feels like it could have been a good 15 minutes shorter, and stretches its thin premise to breaking point. Which is a shame as the effects are really great, creepily grotesque and disgusting, but the the script is far too simplistic and these are some of the most unmemorable characters ever created. 6.2/10

that's pretty much what i thought about it as well but i think i had even less patience with it than you

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 08, 2022, 10:07:37 PMWho could ever have imagined that a film about some art students being attacked by blood-drinking clay might not be very good.

You never know with Asian horror, two of my favourites involve killer hair extensions and murderous sushi, and visually this was really great in places, it just needed to make the characters more interesting and have a plot which wasn't so predictable.

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 08, 2022, 10:47:59 PMthat's pretty much what i thought about it as well but i think i had even less patience with it than you

I was certainly getting that way towards the end,
Spoiler alert
the trip to the university felt like filler given how little I cared for the characters, while the final twist took ages to take place, and I'd have rated it even lower if it wasn't for the weirdness of the last few minutes.
[close]

Apparently there's a sequel but reviews suggest that while the effects are more impressive, the script is even worse, so there's no way I'll be bothering with that.

Glebe

Watched Annabelle Comes Home on Netflix the other night, probably the silliest Conjuring Universe movie I've seen so far (seen them all except the new one).

Watched It Follows last night, much more like it. Been meaning to watch this for a long while now, nice creepy atmos and leaves you guessing.

zomgmouse

Anyone seen Apparitions? A friend of mine wrote and directed it, zero budget Australian slasher. Just saw it now, thought I'd give it a mention in this thread.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah your friend is fucking shit!

Only joking I will watch it ;-)

madhair60

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022). fucking trash. the fun kind of trash though. gorefest.

Yup, good call. That was terrible, plus arseholes got chopped.
Just what you want from a horror sequel 👍

AsparagusTrevor

It certainly was terrible, and arseholes certainly got chopped. At least it was short and they didn't try to bog it down with 'character development' or 'story' or 'decent dialogue'.

I thought they did a good job making it look cheap in a 70's way rather than cheap in a 2020s way.

TrenterPercenter

Gave it a go, I was expecting it to be more terrible and more arseholes but they did certainly get chopped.  Pretty forgiving at 1hr20 mins also didn't mess about.

Rev+

It was surprisingly okay - best one since TCM2?  I know that one splits opinions but it's for different reasons.  That said, Leatherface is not in the slightest bit intimidating in it.  He's just like this bumblebee with a chainsaw, rattling about.

SteveDave

Leatherface's face looks like Tony Way in it.

Haha, I thought that too! Yeah, the film does nothing to build tension, things just happen.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on February 21, 2022, 11:29:52 AMYeah, the film does nothing to build tension, things just happen.

Yep, and it hits every cliche on the Tony way

Bad Ambassador

Very troubled production with the original directors being fired and their replacement starting from scratch, terrible test screenings and a planned cinema release dropped in favour of being dumped on Netflix with no publicity. It would be a miracle if it weren't a stinker.

Famous Mortimer

Digitally aged Alia Shawkat and digitally de-aged Kim Cattrall are sad you don't like the new TCM.

BRen

It was a load of old shite.

Why do none of these TCM prequels or sequels ever actually look at the original film and take inspiration and actually implement it into the new film? I hate the fact that there's just never ANY consistency in them.

It had some great kills and gore effects, but why bother trying to tie it in to the original film?

Stop trying to make sequels to the original, especially if you're not going to pay any attention to what made the original a masterpiece. Instead, just shoe-horning in references and bringing back a character from that film (especially after Marilyn Burns passed away several years ago now), then completely changing her personality and characterisation, using the girls as bait after what she went through in the original. It makes no sense!

Noodle Lizard

Very poor, but I did like Leatherface's completely not arsed reaction when Marilyn Burns v2 asks if he remembers her.

SteveDave

I enjoyed it as a sequel to "Eighth Grade".