Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man 3: Into the Spider-Verse 2?

Started by Mister Six, October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 16, 2020, 11:39:54 AMI hope not. One of the great things about this Spider-Man is that they haven't hammered an unnecessary origin.

You must. And on as big a screen as you can. It's many shades of wonderful.

I'd kinda like a bit of backstory for Holland's Spidey though.

I've seen the Venom post-credits Spiderverse tease and it certainly looks impressive.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2020, 02:53:02 PMI think they've barely even mentioned Uncle Ben

And he's politically incorrect now so we'll never hear from him again!

New page Spidey-Twat.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2020, 03:48:57 PM
Oh, I agree no need to go over well-worn ground. I had wondered if they'd go into his parents' backstory instead - I could be remembering wrong, but in some interpretations, weren't they spies who worked with/for SHIELD and got killed some mission?

Maybe, it looked like they were going to go that route with Garfield's 'rents. I'd rather they didn't though. What's wrong with Peter just being a kid who was in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time?

All this shit about making everyone related to every other part of a comic book universe is the worst kind of fanboy continuity wank. It's bad enough that he's acting as Stark's heir without making him from a family of super-spies too.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on November 16, 2020, 02:49:41 PM
Yeah. To Grant Morrison it: spider bite, dead uncle, great responsibility. Who needs anything more than that? Let's look forwards, not backwards.

Depends though if "forwards" describes more and more ludicrously high-powered supervillains rather than anything more down to earth.  I'd relish a bit of origin stuff if it meant focusing on the crux of the character and more ordinary scrapes.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2020, 03:48:57 PM
Oh, I agree no need to go over well-worn ground. I had wondered if they'd go into his parents' backstory instead - I could be remembering wrong, but in some interpretations, weren't they spies who worked with/for SHIELD and got killed some mission?

Yeah, any kind of origin story would do well to focus elsewhere.  We know the main gist so why not show us more of the stuff that was going on around the same time?  Have Parker's transformation into Spider-Man backgrounded slightly, like the events of Back to the Future 1 occurring in the wings of Back to the Future 2.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Replies From View on November 16, 2020, 09:18:05 PM
Yeah, any kind of origin story would do well to focus elsewhere.  We know the main gist so why not show us more of the stuff that was going on around the same time?  Have Parker's transformation into Spider-Man backgrounded slightly, like the events of Back to the Future 1 occurring in the wings of Back to the Future 2.
I suppose you could bring in Oscorp as the company behind the radioactive spider, and use them doing other experiments as a way to bring in other characters. You could have Norman Osborn researching away, gets told about a school trip to the labs, shurgs and carries on. Then flip back to the present and he's working on his serum that turns him into the Goblin while also, for instance, experimenting on a prisoner called Mac Gargan. 

Replies From View

and they could have bruce banner in there being sissy milked

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on November 16, 2020, 09:15:33 PM
Depends though if "forwards" describes more and more ludicrously high-powered supervillains rather than anything more down to earth. 

I don't see why those two things are inevitably bound. Or why retreading the old "sad dead uncle" plotline would preclude some daft OTT bollocks.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on November 17, 2020, 05:26:02 AM
some daft OTT bollocks.

How about a Rube Goldberg milking contraption, like Wallace and Gromit would make. 

Replies From View

SteveDave

The trailer for this has leaked (filmed off a phone off of Instagram Stories by the looks of it) but it doesn't give much away. Apart from
Spoiler alert
Alfred Molina.
[close]

Mister Six

Had totally forgotten I'd started this thread. The Flash and other related TV series did the "many characters, including different versions of the same character, join forces across dimensions" thing, and the DC cinematic universe is doing it with Batman, so it'll be funny if Marvel blows them both out of the water with a single Spider-Man film and then doesn't go back to the idea ever again.

(But, of course, there'll probably already be a Maguire/Garfield Disney+ show in the works.)

madhair60

They've got some nardz to be doing anything even remotely close to
Spoiler alert
One More Day
[close]

Replies From View

This new film is an awful lot of fuss just to make the dancing from Spider-Man 3 canon.  Why not just ask Tom Holland to do his own dance?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: SteveDave on August 23, 2021, 01:02:06 AM
The trailer for this has leaked (filmed off a phone off of Instagram Stories by the looks of it) but it doesn't give much away. Apart from
Spoiler alert
Alfred Molina.
[close]

I watched it and was thinking "wow they've really skimped on the CGI for this one" then realised it's early stage VFX (at about 2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klYHq1bWfeY&ab_channel=LynamHQ

Also this is literally the worst quality leak of anything I've seen in my life, sorry if you go partially blind watching it.

Butchers Blind

madhair60

Looks shit. At least the MCU finally gets a decent villain (by transplanting one in from an actual film made by an actual filmmaker)

Replies From View

Hopefully Peter Sellers will be in this as part of the Doctor Strangelove multiverse plot arc

SteveDave

Quote from: madhair60 on August 24, 2021, 08:52:47 AM
Looks shit. At least the MCU finally gets a decent villain (by transplanting one in from an actual film made by an actual filmmaker)

Two villains. There's a Green Goblin bomb and laugh in that trailer too.

Magnum Valentino

Did you not like Michael Keaton in the first one Madders? Cause you should've cause he was fucking ace in it. Far more memorable than that big purple fella.

JamesTC

Quote from: SteveDave on August 24, 2021, 09:03:20 AM
Two villains. There's a Green Goblin bomb and laugh in that trailer too.

There are more villains hinted at in the trailer.

Replies From View

Is there an MCU villain called The Trailer?

That would be good

Old Nehamkin

I always feel disorientated by this new iteration of Spiderman who keeps checking in with the Avengers every five minutes and going into space and has a magical robot suit that lets him use google with his brain and shit. I always found the Tobey Maguire films endearing because he was just a scrappy underdog running his own rinky-dink operation in a self-contained little universe, just trying his best to do the right thing in the face of everyone hating him and having a totally shit social life and no money. Tom Holland is a fine actor but his Spiderman feels like a sort of provincial CIA agent trapped in an endlessly escalating crossover event that ultimately doesn't have very much to do with him. Do not like.

Also it was better when he shot the webs organically out of his wrists. Come on.

mothman

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 24, 2021, 10:01:11 AM
Also it was better when he shot the webs organically out of his wrists. Come on.

It's irrational, but I really hated that. It was a bravura move, intended I presume to counter the whole "Oh, so you, high school student, were able to somehow invent this magical web-like substance and the devices to extrude and propel it in a myriad of useful ways? Oh-kayyyy..." but, I liked the web-spinners however unlikely they actually are. After all, it's a story about a boy getting near-magical powers from a radioactive spider bite, so...

MojoJojo

It makes no sense they would come out his wrists. He should be shooting his gunk out his arse.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 24, 2021, 10:01:11 AM
I always feel disorientated by this new iteration of Spiderman who keeps checking in with the Avengers every five minutes and going into space and has a magical robot suit that lets him use google with his brain and shit. I always found the Tobey Maguire films endearing because he was just a scrappy underdog running his own rinky-dink operation in a self-contained little universe, just trying his best to do the right thing in the face of everyone hating him and having a totally shit social life and no money. Tom Holland is a fine actor but his Spiderman feels like a sort of provincial CIA agent trapped in an endlessly escalating crossover event that ultimately doesn't have very much to do with him. Do not like.

I'm with you on this, not so much the organic webshooters thing (not fussed about it either way, though I felt it made enough sense for them to be organic, and I liked how Spider-Man 2 showed him losing control of them as life became too much).

I think Tom Holland is brilliant casting, and feel that a good two or three films should have been made with him focusing on the simpler details you rarely get in Spider-Man movies.  The Amazing Spider-Man reboot seemed to be built around Parker being a university student before the spider bit him, and after that misfire I assumed that Marvel wanted to get back to a younger, less socially confident version.  But rushing into all this extended universe nonsense subtracts in a different way from Spider-Man simplicity.  I realise that it's what the studios wanted all along, and I can get behind Parker/Spidey having cameos in other films I never see, but I'm not sure Spider-Man films should be like this.  If any movies in the MCU should be standalone, it's these.

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 24, 2021, 10:37:26 AM
He should be shooting his gunk out his arse.

I always assumed this is what happened, and that Parker developed mechanical webshooters for his wrists that utilised the arse-spun webbing (always seemed a bit suspicious otherwise that he was able to create his webbing when no other scientist has managed).  No doubt we'll get another origin story movie at some point and they'll skip this detail yet again.

frajer

I still quite enjoy this hyper-suited Avengers version of Spider-Man, but I agree it makes him far too powerful and a bit boring compared to past Spider-Mans.

Even in the trailer when the villain rocks up at the end and you think "shit's on", Peter's response is to instantly envelop himself in that Iron Spider nano-armour. In-universe it makes complete sense but it doesn't leave much room for jeopardy.

He got hit by a full-velocity Eurorail in the last one and got away with a black eye and a cut shoulder. Give me weird old Tobey Maguire almost killing himself (and definitely web-gunking his undies) to stop a regular train any day.

Replies From View

Take a leaf-blower to the mouth, Maguire

Replies From View

The second Raimi Spider-Man is still the best.  It's a shame it has to lead into Spider-Man 3.

mothman

Also, is it just me or does it feel like they're really over-egging the whole multiverse pudding right now? OK, we get it, it's the next Big Thing and from whence a whole tranche of new (and old, and alternate) heroes and villains will stem, but already we have multiversey stuff coming from WandaVision, and Loki, and What If, and this, with the actual Dr. Strange film yet to come. I don't know if there is any if it in the Shang-Chi or Eternals films (or Black Widow, not seen it yet), or the others on the slate (Guardians 3, Ant-Man 3) or if it'll go on until any as yet hypothetical future Avengers films. But as a set-up to a presumed new Infinity Stones-type arc it's beginning to feel hopelessly convoluted. Because while Anything Us Possible is a very tantalising proposition, the counter to it - Does Anything Then Matter? - is a risky thing to deal with when billions of dollars are at stake.