Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Promising Young Woman

Started by zomgmouse, January 25, 2021, 01:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: falafel on April 25, 2021, 05:20:14 PM
Nah, I am starting to feel like I'm making excuses for the filmmakers here but certainly when she was being a dick to customers and such my feeling was more that the supposed coolness was all front

I just can't read this scene as if the audience is supposed to watch the spit-in-coffee scene and think (or only think): oh, dear, what a sad and tragic case, she's so defeated and jaded that she's resorting to this weird and nasty behaviour. It does communicate all that - clearly no one can watch that scene and think "now there's a woman with lust for life!" - but it's staged and shot and played as if it's also cool - you know, a jaded, hip, eye-rolling, Pulp Fiction movie-glam whip-smart kind of thing.

It's also the kind of thing that I think really could have been cool, but the way it's done feels so tryhard and embarrassing.

Quote from: falafel on April 25, 2021, 05:20:14 PM
and I don't recall other characters in the film being particularly impressed by it.

Well the guy likes it! (Unless you think he purely wanted to fuck her and is so cynical and awful that he's prepared to look past any sort of antisocial behaviour whatsoever, but I think he thought she was cool.)

They just used the spit clip at the Oscars to announce this as a Best Picture nominee.

falafel

Quote from: popcorn on April 25, 2021, 11:28:41 PM
I just can't read this scene as if the audience is supposed to watch the spit-in-coffee scene and think (or only think): oh, dear, what a sad and tragic case, she's so defeated and jaded that she's resorting to this weird and nasty behaviour. It does communicate all that - clearly no one can watch that scene and think "now there's a woman with lust for life!" - but it's staged and shot and played as if it's also cool - you know, a jaded, hip, eye-rolling, Pulp Fiction movie-glam whip-smart kind of thing.

It's also the kind of thing that I think really could have been cool, but the way it's done feels so tryhard and embarrassing.

Well the guy likes it! (Unless you think he purely wanted to fuck her and is so cynical and awful that he's prepared to look past any sort of antisocial behaviour whatsoever, but I think he thought she was cool.)

I suppose cool very rarely impresses me?
I read Bo drinking the coffee as more of a repudiation than an endorsement. It looks like a submissive act but he's actually refusing to let her alienate him. And it is 'before' Cassie that he is chasing, not 'now' Cassie.

Dusty Substance

Watched Sound Of Metal last night. Now, there's a proper film.

phes

It really threw me that we were presented with someone obsessively exposing toxic and illegal male acts and exacting innumerable dangerous revenge humiliations, then in a lightning turnaround she's begging forgiveness from some guy who judges and shames her for being drunk with a rando. A guy who took her on a date which was ended by him creepily luring her to his apartment and trying it on. I just couldn't buy that this character in this context would let that behaviour slide