Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:21:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Confirmed: In conversation with Chris Morris - 6th March - Bootleggers required.

Started by Neil, March 02, 2007, 04:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mumbler

Baker was also a weekend presenter from the early days of GLR. Morris is absolutely right to rate him so highly.

Joe Maplin

I agree with a lot of the praise that's been put Baker's way, but I do sympathise with the original dismissal if the reviewer had only seen him on television. Well, 'After All', wasn't exactly good was it? And cheesy consumer shows and Daz adverts. Hanging around with Gazza, writing all that bullying TFI shit for Chris Evans.

Also on the radio he can be a bit of  a prick. Like believing everything Gordon Smith, The Psychic Barber said to him, but bizarrely trying to expose Derren Brown as a fraud. Then there's slagging off guests after they've left, but never to their face, wanting listeners to protest outside the house of that referee.

There was also the time he had Simon Callow on a few years ago, plugging his play about Dickens I think. So Baker moves on to asking him about his appearance in the kids film 'George of the Jungle', which Callow denied, for the understandably reason that he wasn't in it. But Baker wouldn't let go, on and on he insisted he was in it,  "you know you were, you and Jim Carrey"
"Aah" says Cowell "you mean Ace Ventura 2, yes, I was in that". Baker grudgingly admits his mistake.
Cut to one week later, Baker re-tells it thus "I had that Simon Callow on lording on about Dickens, so I though I'd pull him up about appearing in a load of dreck like George of The Jungle. He got really embarrassed, but eventually he had to put his hands up and say, "yeah, I was in it"."

So yes, Danny Baker, a great broadcaster at times, but can also be a bit of a nob.

Famous Mortimer

As soon as Baker's show gets podcasted, or I can listen again later, I'll give it a listen then. He is a very good radio presenter though.

Come on the audio!!

niat

This link includes some listen again repeats of DB shows. I haven't got Real Player on my work PC so I can't see exactly what's available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/radio/presenters/danny_baker/index.shtml

NoSleep

Danny Baker - Sniffin' Glue (with Mark P), Samuel K. Amphong ("Where is Beatles band?") - 'nuff said.

JPA

Quoteit was notable that he seems to be interested in conspiracy theorists, as he stated with conviction that we shouldn’t think that 7/7 was initiated by some young Pakistani men from Leeds.

Can anyone clarify this point - is he just saying that he's interested in conspiracy theorists, or that he believes conspiracy theories himself?

Tommy Trumpet

Quote from: "JPA"
Quoteit was notable that he seems to be interested in conspiracy theorists, as he stated with conviction that we shouldn’t think that 7/7 was initiated by some young Pakistani men from Leeds.

Can anyone clarify this point - is he just saying that he's interested in conspiracy theorists, or that he believes conspiracy theories himself?
I was a bit confused by this as well... he said on 7/7 something like "well if you're one of those fools who believe it was done by four Pakistani men from Leeds..."  and this seemed to be serious. I don't anything about 7/7 theories so I don't know what other explanation he might have been implying, or whether there are actually some credible theories.

But then he kind of stepped back from the statement by saying "well, conspiracy theories are interesting..." and I thought maybe he was actually joking with the first statement. So I'm not totally sure.

bithez

Quote from: "Tommy Trumpet"I was a bit confused by this as well... he said on 7/7 something like "well if you're one of those fools who believe it was done by four Pakistani men from Leeds..."  and this seemed to be serious. I don't anything about 7/7 theories so I don't know what other explanation he might have been implying, or whether there are actually some credible theories.

possibly a reference to the argument about whether it was a "sleeper cell" activated by al qaeda (see: the new al qaeda), or a spontaneous sympathy-bombing organised locally using plans downloaded from the internet (see: power of nightmares)?

Marv Orange

Peking O

He's an ugly fucker isn't he? Although I know several women who would happily bear his children.

Glebe

Looking at the thummbnails, I thought the guy in the stripey top was Morris for  a moment!! Thanks for posting those pics.

Famous Mortimer

JCBillington

Someone from the Independent who reads this site has adapted this thread into a full page article.

Online Version

Pinball

Well at least he credited this site, which is more than most journo trawlers do.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "Ja'moke"http://chortle.co.uk/news/2007/03/16/5131/the_comedy_version_of_united_93...

Also this thread has been quoted on Chortle.

And, somewhat strangely, we're referred to as 'bloggers' rather than 'posters' in The Grauniad.

Quote from: "The Guardian"Morris has taken a keen interest in Islamic terrorism and was recently spotted at a terror trial taking copious notes.

Hooray! Or maybe Allah Akbar, perhaps.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "JCBillington"Someone from the Independent who reads this site has adapted this thread into a full page article.

Online Version

Does this mean that cookd and bombd is 'notable?'

Godzilla Bankrolls

I think so!

I hope all these articles are being archived on the site, including the Chortle report.

Tex

The event itself was great, reasonably informal, and it was quite amusing watching his reactions when we watched the 'cake' spoof on BrassEye... He looked quite uncomfortable, not least because he was sitting next to the screen and had to crane his neck to see it...

He came across as a very funny, very genuine guy.

Borboski

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "Borboski"http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2007/03/satirical_extremist.html

The guardian is linking here, now... apologies if this has already been pointed out.

Ha. That one even actually calls us 'verbwhores', though the word sits very oddly in the article I think. Smacks of trying too hard.

Ambient Sheep

Hilarious tea-spitting moments from the blog's comments...

Quote from: "RichardWagner"If Chris is going to satirise Islam, then maybe it would go down better if he wasn't Jewish and homosexual. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Muslims will see it all as part of a concerted assault on their values.
Quote from: "KarlKatanka"According to Wikipeda, Morris is indeed homosexual and even volunteers with some gay charities. It also says he lives with his boyfriend, the DJ Carl Cox.

It doesn't say anything about him being Jewish though and I would have thought Morris is an Arabic name (derived from Moorish).
After a few seconds of "Where the HELL did they get THAT from?!?!?", some kind person called AlisonDuvet pointed out that they've probably got confused with the gay rights activist of the same name.  Or they were just trolling.

There's a good point here though...nobody wants to see Chris fatwa'd, do they?  Not even VLS, probably.

rudi

The image of CM and Carl Cox making sweet sweet love is currently making me chuckle...

MissInformed

Quote from: "rudi"The image of CM and Carl Cox making sweet sweet love is currently making me chuckle...
Thanks for that image, I can't think about anything else now...it does beg the question though, who's the top?

And by the way Rudi, seeing the list of threads with your name as last poster on about six in succession brought about a resounding chorus of "Rudi Rudi Rudi Rudi! Ah ahh ah ahh ah ahhh", Kaiser Chiefs Stylee in my house.

chocky909

Still can't figure out how the DJ Carl Cox got into the equation. Is Carl Cox gay? I can't find any evidence either way.

And now I can't get the image of Chris Morris (comedian), Chris Morris (activist) and Carl Cox (DJ) all gettting it on together in a large black waterbed, whilst Jo Unwin (actress) watches from the corner, doing 'crafts'.

EDIT it seems I'm not the only one...

chocky909