Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People doing things in an "ironic" way

Started by tisonlyme, June 28, 2010, 05:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copylight

ooh. I bet his ironic moneyshot tasted bitter though.

From our very own (occasional) Jesse Thorn, from The Sound Of Young America: A Manifesto For The New Sincerity

And one more from the AV Club: Saved By The Bell & The Death Of Ironic Appreciation

My sister and I absolutely genuinely loved Saved by The Bell. Nothing ironic about it. Taught me a lot of life lessons, that show. It was surrogate parent, teacher, and friend.

Were we stupid?

MojoJojo

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 28, 2010, 07:07:05 PM
How does ironic love differ from actual love? Because actual love isn't smarmy, cloying, approval-seeking desperate cuntery.

Can someone who knows greek tell me what the greek word for ironic love is? I seem to remember the Spartans looked down on the Athenians because the Athenians were into ironic love.

Milo

Is 'ironic' a shorthand for watching something shit for the fun of taking the piss out of it, a la Mystery Science Theatre 3000?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Milo on June 29, 2010, 10:18:13 AM
Is 'ironic' a shorthand for watching something shit for the fun of taking the piss out of it, a la Mystery Science Theatre 3000?
Well, I've certainly seen some people use the word that way... wrongly.

All too often, when people say they're watching something "ironically", they aren't and abusing their mother tongue through ignorance.

If they also make air quotes when they say "ironically", it's not a good sign...

Quote from: buntyman on June 28, 2010, 06:11:05 PM
This thread reminds me of that Sheryl Crow song 'Irony' where she goes on about smoking in the rain on her wedding day and trying to eat a bowl of soup using a fork. It's a cool song actually.
Although it doesn't actually contain much examples of irony.

"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day"

That's coincidence, not irony.

Cerys

Here we go again.  You're thinking of dramatic irony, not bog-standard irony, which is defined as 'the apparent perversity of fate'.

PaulTMA

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 28, 2010, 07:07:05 PM
How does ironic love differ from actual love? Because actual love isn't smarmy, cloying, approval-seeking desperate cuntery.

It's lovely.

Two recent observations - Lynda Bellingham narrating Being.... N-Dubz and Michael Buerk narrating Pineapple Dance Studios

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 29, 2010, 03:27:09 AM
it must be great for performers to reach a level of total shitness and un-coolness, and still able to make a decent living performing in front of wacky students at Fresher's week club nights across the country.

Rick Astley immediately springs to mind.

I agree with tisonlyme, people should just admit they like something that's widely regarded as shit and get over it, the only people who'd realise you were being 'ironic' in any given situation like that would be people who knew you inside and out and so would be in on the gag as it were. Do it in front of anyone but those people and it turns out you fucking love ABBA, truly cherish your X Factor mug and kiss them in your dreams every night.