Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you a Whizz-kid or a Chip-ite?

Started by madhair60, June 30, 2010, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Chip-ite, me.  Whizzer was too much of a goody-two-shoes.  Sid's Snake was for cunts, Shiner ftw.

mook

Serge

I was a Whizz-Kid but I don't remember much about that time of my life. Brainwashing, you could call it. It was only when I found myself about to assassinate someone called Chip on the orders of a giant cartoon snake that I came to my senses.

Jemble Fred

I absolutely adored Whizzer & Chips, but never for one second could I ever see any meaningful distinction between Whizz-kids and Chip-ites. Because there was none. Maybe it was W&C which made me a wishy-washy pacifist before I was even in double figures.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: madhair60 on June 30, 2010, 01:59:25 PM
Chip-ite, me.  Whizzer was too much of a goody-two-shoes.  Sid's Snake was for cunts, Shiner ftw.
Too fucking right!!!
Shiner was as hard as nails and that snake was a poof
They used to invade the Whizzer more often than the other way around
Whizz Kids would have also been more shake than Shiver
Big girls blouses

Shoulders?-Stomach!

GoochDogHigh5s

Were you a Beezer or a Topper?

I remember only ever buying BIG COMIC, which was a kind of monthly/weekly mega-compilation of the best bits of all those non-BeanoDandy a-comics.

'non-BeanoDandy' sounds so stereotypical Italian in my head.

PaulTMA

My brother designated me a Chip-ite so I'm trying to remember whether my dislike of Whizz-kids was rational, or if the characters really did tend to be relatively annoying smuggos?

chocky909

I never used to get the weekly comics but I was given a lot of old annuals from the 70s and 80s that used to belong to my uncle. Not many Beanos and Dandys but lots of Whizzer & Chips, Beezer, Shiver & Shake, Cor! [EDIT] and Whoopee!. Plus lashings of Oor Wullie and The Broons.

I liked Cor! a lot. I remember the main characters were Ivor Lott and Tony Broke - two kids, one rich one poor. Obviously the rich kid was always showing off his wealth and then would come a cropper by the end. They were also joined by female counterparts later on. Called Millie O'Naire and Penny Less.

Consignia

As a populist Beano reader, all the other comics sort of blended into one to me. I've read loads of annuals of them, but I couldn't tell you the difference now, save perhaps a few Dandy ones.

Quote from: chocky909 on June 30, 2010, 06:36:46 PM
They were also joined by female counterparts later on. Called Millie O'Naire and Penny Less.

Those two had also had a strip of their own in Jackpot, launched in about 1979 or 1980. Couldn't say at what stage they got teamed up with the boys.

23 Daves

Chip-ite.  There was a difference, I'm sure.  Whizzer was the more populist "Adventures of a boy with some unusual thing/ ability-or-other" style of comic strips, whereas "Chips" featured the adventures of The Drips (drops of water in a damp house that spoke) and... er... loads of other odd cartoons I can't quite remember off the top of my head right now.

As a kid, I used to think that the Chips section was for people who were hardcore, whereas Whizzer was for people who didn't give much of a shit about comics.  Chips was Radiohead to Whizzer's Travis, essentially.  In truth, there was probably little distinction between the two, although it's interesting to note that whenever they did reader's polls the Whizzer cartoons were always way more popular than the Chips ones. 

El Unicornio, mang

Sweet Tooth was my favourite character so I guess that makes me a Whizz-Kid

Big Jack McBastard

Bash Street Kids, whatever they were in.... Beano. I distinctly remember turning an episode of Fuss-Pot into Piss-Pot as well.

VegaLA

I was a Whooppee, my younger Bro was a Buster.

I take it all these comics are dead and buried now?

Paperlung

Chips for me.  Whizzer for my little sister.  She's a fucking idiot.

easytarget

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 30, 2010, 07:38:20 PM
Chip-ite.  There was a difference, I'm sure.  Whizzer was the more populist "Adventures of a boy with some unusual thing/ ability-or-other" style of comic strips, whereas "Chips" featured the adventures of The Drips (drops of water in a damp house that spoke) and... er... loads of other odd cartoons I can't quite remember off the top of my head right now.

Yes. Me too.
Also, I think that Whizz-kids were proto-Tories.

ozziechef

Quote from: chocky909 on June 30, 2010, 06:36:46 PM
I liked Cor! a lot. I remember the main characters were Ivor Lott and Tony Broke - two kids, one rich one poor. Obviously the rich kid was always showing off his wealth and then would come a cropper by the end. They were also joined by female counterparts later on. Called Millie O'Naire and Penny Less.

I loved Cor! too - is that the one with Jasper the Grasper and Jack Pott in - they were my favourite.

Overall though I'm a Chip-ite

23 Daves

Quote from: VegaLA on July 01, 2010, 01:10:03 AM
I was a Whooppee, my younger Bro was a Buster.

I take it all these comics are dead and buried now?

Sadly, yes.  Although they crop up online all the time quite cheaply if ever you want to buy any old ones.

Jemble Fred

I once worked for the editor of Whizzer & Chips, who came up with the whole concept of the double comic. He was the most useless fucking drip I ever worked for. Imagine Penfold, but less butch and inspiring.

Serge

The short-lived 'Krazy' was the best, basically an English version of 'Mad' for kids. (Though I was also reading my dads 'Mad' magazines at the same time.) And I'm old enough to remember 'Beezer' and 'Topper' being tabloid size.

GoochDogHigh5s

It seems that all the IPC comics ended up doing a Dagenham and Redbridge . That is, eating all the other comics up
QuoteKnockout merged with Whizzer and Chips in 1973, followed by Krazy in 1978 and Whoopee! in 1985.

Cor merged with Buster in June 1974

Shiver And Shake merged with Whoopee in 1974

And as some of The Cor lot ended up in Whizzer and Chips, it would appear that was the lot of them

Anyway,
the hardest comic of the time was Action that got banned
That was pure evil!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(comic)

dr_christian_troy

After years of collecting the complete Viz annuals, and most of the Private Eye ones, I began to dig out what I had up in the attic. I discovered some Oink! and Acne (I've got the free peashooter somewhere), but also old copies of Sky (talk about risque!), Maxim (there was at some point a few years ago when an American editor took over for a bit and suddenly the magazine became a self-parody, with some incredibly good self-hatred and very funny things going on...), Look In, Fast Forward, Loaded, SFX, Hotdog, NEON (still the best in my opinion, with Hotdog a close second - NEON once came with a Top 1000 Films booklet, which I still use for reference to this day), my Glam Metal Detectives comic, my Round The Bend comic, some old Beanos, Dandys, Whizzer & Chips, Topper, Archie Minicomics (this must have been when I was in Spain and bored), JACK, Comedy Review (bloody good actually, lasted about 5 issues), TV Hits, Smash Hits, a load of girls mags (from my sister's collection - Just Seventeen features some hilarious problem pages: 'Dear J17, I rub myself against my teddy and I get wet. Is this normal? S, London, Age 15.'), Bizarre (I had the first fucking issue but mum chucked it out at the time. Grrr....), and I've only gone through 2 out of 10 boxes.....

madhair60

Quote from: Serge on July 01, 2010, 09:53:16 AM
The short-lived 'Krazy' was the best, basically an English version of 'Mad' for kids. (Though I was also reading my dads 'Mad' magazines at the same time.) And I'm old enough to remember 'Beezer' and 'Topper' being tabloid size.

Krazy is brilliant, with its false back covers and 4-page Cheeky walkabouts (he got his own title, you know) and barely-readable loud pink print.

23 Daves

Quote from: Jemble Fred on July 01, 2010, 08:59:54 AM
I once worked for the editor of Whizzer & Chips, who came up with the whole concept of the double comic. He was the most useless fucking drip I ever worked for. Imagine Penfold, but less butch and inspiring.

That's a pity.  I loved Whizzer and Chips when I was a kid, and actually dreamt about working for them (the fact I couldn't draw to save my life didn't really disavow me of this ambition - hell, I wanted to be a spaceman as well). 

It was good right up to the end, though, so at least in that particular camp he didn't put a foot wrong. 

Jemble Fred

He was probably alright back in those days – when I was working for him, he was reduced to being only ostensibly in charge of shitty Disney/Pixar comics at Egmont, ruled with an iron fist by battleaxe subordinates and he always came across like a truly broken man. A neutered old mutt just waiting for death.

Santa's Boyfriend

It's a real shame those comics died out, they were very entertaining as a child.  I always hope they'll start putting compilations of old strips on the news-stand again to text the market, but they never do.

Has anyone seen "Dandy Extreme"?  leaving aside the hilarious contradictory name, it's turned into one of those glossy kids magazines with insane page designs that when you look at them make you feel like you're having a bad trip.  Very little actual comic strip in it at all, I think Desperate Dan is relegated to one page somewhere in the back - no other original titles at all.  Personally I'd rather see it die than see it suffer this humility.  Kind of reminds me of the teachers that try and do a rap about Shakespeare to make it appealing.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on July 01, 2010, 03:20:42 PM
Very little actual comic strip in it at all, I think Desperate Dan is relegated to one page somewhere in the back

Also, why did they give the Desperate Dan strip to some bloke who can't draw noses?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 30, 2010, 07:38:20 PM
As a kid, I used to think that the Chips section

There were 2 seperate sections?  I guess I don't remember it that well,  I just remember it as a comic full of comic strips.  Presumably that's why I'm not understanding this thread.