Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Penalty

Started by Saucer51, July 01, 2010, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

It was reported in Fascist Feline magazine.

El Unicornio, mang

I found out recently that the gallows at a prison in England were kept and maintained on a regular basis right up until 1994. Not sure why, but I do recall hearing that high treason was the one crime that could get you executed.

rudi

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 05, 2010, 10:10:57 PMI found out recently that the gallows at a prison in England were kept and maintained on a regular basis right up until 1994. Not sure why

I guess with so little work on, the executioners needed somewhere to hang.

El Unicornio, mang

I wonder how they got ROPED into doing such a job in the first place??

rudi

The guy who had the job before him was axed?

gmoney

The hours are a killer.

El Unicornio, mang

Those last two gags were very well executed

Rowlands

You just killed the thread stone dead with that gag.

Hanslow

Quote from: Sovereign on July 02, 2010, 12:28:34 AM
the state doesn't have the right to kill people.

Define 'right'. The word is a human construct. No one has any inherent right to do anything nor do they have any inherent right not to do something.

I think the death penalty is far more humane than locking someone up the rest of their life. And therefore the best way to rid society of those who should never step foot into it. For me a sensible death penalty is not about punishment or revenge, vengeance is a selfish act. It's all about damage limitation.

biggytitbo

QuoteI think the death penalty is far more humane than locking someone up the rest of their life.
I think the word you're looking for is 'cheaper'.

Hanslow

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 08, 2010, 08:23:18 PM

That as well, but no, I mean what I say. I'd prefer to be sentenced to a fast painless death, than left rot in prison to the end of my days.

mini goatbix

It isn't fast though, people in the U.S. end up on death row for years, even decades, knowing that they're going to die. Facing death like that, every moment with no real distractions, unable to spend time with the people you love, unable to cherish what you have left of life - not really quick and painless, it must be absolute torment.

Hanslow

Quote from: mini goatbix on July 08, 2010, 08:56:16 PM
It isn't fast though, people in the U.S. end up on death row for years, even decades, knowing that they're going to die. Facing death like that, every moment with no real distractions, unable to spend time with the people you love, unable to cherish what you have left of life - not really quick and painless, it must be absolute torment.

I was referring to the death itself.

As for the time spent on death row. Isn't it just a shortening of the process? Prisoner A goes and get's sentenced to life imprisonment, and speed's 50 year's mulling over the fact he's gonna die here.  Prisoner B get's sentenced to death and spends 5 year's thinking over the same thing's.

mini goatbix

I can't be sure, but I don't believe it would be the same. The guy with the life sentence would be thinking about a life spent in prison, but the guy with the death sentence would be facing death itself and that fucks with a person's brain in horrible ways that thinking about an unpleasant future in which you still exist doesn't.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hanslow on July 08, 2010, 08:50:46 PM
That as well, but no, I mean what I say. I'd prefer to be sentenced to a fast painless death, than left rot in prison to the end of my days.
What if you were give the option of freedom, a lovely toasted sandwich and a snazzy new suit? Would you still choose death?

thugler

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 08, 2010, 08:23:18 PM

It's not even that actually!

rudi

Quote from: Hanslow on July 08, 2010, 08:50:46 PMI'd prefer to be sentenced to a fast painless death, than left rot in prison to the end of my days.

That's your preference though innit (and easy to say when it's not actuallu occurring to you). I've nothing gainst giving people the choice of death should they request it, it just shouldn't be foisted upon them.

El Unicornio, mang

What if they don't want prison foisted upon them though? If you're in a country where that's the only option you're kind of screwed (unless you figure out a way to hang yourself or something)

rudi

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 08, 2010, 11:30:48 PM
What if they don't want prison foisted upon them though? If you're in a country where that's the only option you're kind of screwed (unless you figure out a way to hang yourself or something)

Quote from: rudi on July 08, 2010, 11:27:19 PMI've nothing gainst giving people the choice of death should they request it, it just shouldn't be foisted upon them.

Twibbie

Quote from: Hanslow on July 08, 2010, 08:13:22 PMDefine 'right'. The word is a human construct. No one has any inherent right to do anything nor do they have any inherent right not to do something.

A right is an entitlement to a certain level of treatment or freedom. The fact that it's a human construct isn't an argument against it.

QuoteI think the death penalty is far more humane than locking someone up the rest of their life.

The most humane option would be to ask which they'd prefer really.

imitationleather

Quote from: Hanslow on July 08, 2010, 09:05:46 PMPrisoner B get's sentenced to death and spends 5 year's thinking over the same thing's.

5?! The appeals process in the US can drag on for decades and costs millions upon millions of taxpayers' money. If the death penalty were re-introduced here (which it never will be, we'd have to leave the EU and loads of other shit first - also despite what polls in the The Sun say, I really don't think there's that much of an appetite for it to make a comeback) hugely costly new special prisons would have to built, which is just what we want at this term of general financial fuckedness. The idiots who kick off about it coming back think it'd be like it was in the '50s, where the judge would put a black cloth on his head and then a few days later you'd be led to the gallows. It just isn't like that any more. It would completely destroy a lot of our relationships with other countries as well. The entire thing is just absurd and it's pointless to even discuss it really.

Has this actually been in the news? If it has, my what a slow news day it's been.

Hanslow

Yea maybe they should be given the choice. :)