Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Learning To Drive

Started by petula dusty, July 02, 2010, 01:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petula dusty

I've decided, at nearly 40, that I need to pass my driving test. I passed my theory test for the second time a couple of weeks ago. I actually passed it four years ago but never got round to having lessons due to babies and lack of money and being worried about failing mostly.

My plan was to book a load of lessons and take my test within a month. I had a two hour lesson today as a kind of assessment because I have driven before but not for about 8 years. The driving instructor said I'll need about 25 lessons before taking the test and it was best to do it an hour at a time two or three times a week rather than a few hours a day for one or two weeks.

Thing is, I want to pass well before the beginning of October in order to avoid the introduction of yet  another element that's being added to it along with a possible increase in the test fee. This means I'll need at least three lessons a week, especially as I'll be away for two weeks soon, in order to take my test by mid-September. This is assuming I'll pass first time of course.

So, anyone learnt and passed in less than a month? How long did it take if not? And what would you recommend. I just want to know whether the instructor is talking out of his hole or not really. Three lessons a week isn't overdoing it, is it? I've got two booked for next week and I'll probably spend half the first one relearning what I learnt today. If he can fit me in I'd rather have lessons more often and take my test sooner.

Of course, I can't afford to run a car yet so I'll probably forget everything by the time I get one but even so it needs to be done.  I want to have the potential to go out and about and see family, take Jim to see and do stuff that's just too hard or impossible to get to by bus and just generally not have to rely on other people to get me places.

TL;DR? How long did it take you to pass your driving test and would you do it differently with hindsight?  If you don't drive how do you get to see and do stuff that's impossible, or at least massively inconvenient, to get to by public transport?

rudi

Twenty five lessons?? He's taking the piss, surely?

El Unicornio, mang

I tried doing manual lessons but found it very difficult. Automatic is easy as pie though, so if you think you might be able to get an automatic car, I'd do automatic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Manual is a piece of fucking piss is not difficult, and like everything else, it comes to you with practice.

petula dusty

Quote from: rudi on July 02, 2010, 01:16:23 AM
Twenty five lessons?? He's taking the piss, surely?

You didn't see me driving. To be fair, I wasn't that bad considering I last drove 8 years ago and it was in a Ford Orion. New cars only require a gentle touch but I'm still in the mindset that everything requires a bit of added welly.

25 lessons is 25 hours (well, less than that as lessons are 50 minutes long) and I've got a lot to learn and relearn. How long should it take then?

I'd rather learn in a manual because then I've got the choice of driving either manual or automatic. I appreciate that not having to wrestle with gears as well as remembering everything else makes it all a lot easier though.

Small Man Big Horse

25 does sound a lot, especially with your prior experience. Sounds to me like he's just wanting to rake in the money, my driving instructor did that. He told a friend of mine who he also taught that I was taking too long to learn, despite the fact that he spent half of each lesson reading the paper whilst I drove around.

I failed two tests, largely due to nerves (which is strange as it's the only time I've ever suffered from them, my legs were literally shaking in the second) and never took one again. Which was stupid really, as an older friend then taught me to drive, and for three years afterwards I often drove us around. But then I went to University and ran out of money, and after that I moved to London, so have no need for a car. Though I've got to admit that was part of the attraction of moving here.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 02, 2010, 01:37:38 AM
Manual is a piece of fucking piss is not difficult, and like everything else, it comes to you with practice.

Well I find it difficult. All this clutch nonsense, having to change gears, getting the 'bite', it's too finicky. With automatic you just put it into "drive" and away you go, nothing to do but speed up or down.

vrailaine

I was meant to be getting a full license sorted this summer, but I don't see the point in spending pretty much every cent I have on it(insurance is estimated at like €2000 for a year, my brother spent more), then there's lessons, all the time I'd have to put into it, etc... For now, I would far rather keeping the money so I can move somewhere decent, it'd have to have some form of public transport though(so not anywhere in Ireland).

I'm a nervous wreck on the road anyway, even looking at the rear-view mirror in videogames is difficult, focus too much on everything

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 02, 2010, 01:53:59 AM
Well I find it difficult. All this clutch nonsense, having to change gears, getting the 'bite', it's too finicky. With automatic you just put it into "drive" and away you go, nothing to do but speed up or down.

That's true, but millions of motorists around the world seem to manage, so it's not that difficult. It's not as difficult as learning to play the guitar, also something millions manage.
I also find gears a nice simple pleasure, feeling the rev of the engine as it responds uniquely each time.

I wouldn't drive an automatic in this country, maybe in America. Even then I think I'd want to do the gears to stop myself getting bored.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 02, 2010, 02:05:00 AM
That's true, but millions of motorists around the world seem to manage, so it's not that difficult. It's not as difficult as learning to play the guitar, also something millions manage.

I think I just got spoiled by driving for a while with automatics in America, so actually having to do stuff that required concentration and effort was too daunting. I can play guitar well though, so maybe there's hope for me...

TrevorDistance

I'm going for lessons soon. at 27, I'm the last of my non-driving friends and when you live in Ireland, being unable to drive is a major drawback on living a stress free life.

going to buy an old banger to practice on so I won't have to get so many lessons (that's the plan hopefully)

one last point on manual gears. it often seems complicated to me, but then i see my grandmother shift gears with ease it really can't be that difficult surely?

small_world

I have always thought it would be easy to teach someone to drive, the clutch bit at least, by ONLY using the clutch. In most cars, you can pull away by lifting the clutch, no accelerator required.
I could pull away in 5th in my Seat Ibiza.
Once you have clutch control down, the rest should be easier.
Who wants a lesson.

salr

As others have said, I would take the test in an automatic for now if you are nervous about it. This will limit the number of (fast/cool) cars you can drive but it makes the test so much easier to pass as you don't have the gears/clutch control element to worry about.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you can't work the clutch and gears you shouldn't be going for your license anyway. I'm serious- you should be able to use the clutch and select the right gear without any issues 100 times out of 100. The controls are the most important aspect of driving, because they are the ones that can get you out of difficulties. Once you have confidence in the controls you have a very good chance to pass first time.

petula dusty

I already know how to drive a manual I just need lots of practice and to learn all the manouevres and shit that you need for passing the practical these days. I learnt when I was 17 but never took my test and I've regretted it ever since. They hadn't even introduced the parallell park back then.

As small_world says, it's easier to drive newer cars as you only need to lift the clutch and you're off. I'm so used to having to get the bite just right using the clutch and the gas. Also I was taught to always brake first before dipping the clutch but this instructor kept telling me to dip the clutch first and not use the brake at all I could help it (when slowing down for corners etc). Plus, you only have to lightly touch the brake which takes some getting used to. Ah well, I didn't crash and I didn't stall so it wasn't too bad. I was just a bit miffed that he talked me out of my plan to do it in a few weeks especially as I won't be able to practice between lessons.

salr

OK cool all you need to practice is the manoeuvres. Focus on them with your instructor an you should be able to pass in no time :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethis instructor kept telling me to dip the clutch first and not use the brake at all

Slowing the car down without using the brakes is called engine braking. If you dip the clutch while you're doing that then you're out of gear and coasting, which I think is illegal, you might want to ask about that.

I'm not sure what his weird problem with not using the brakes is. They're there to slow the car down. I assume you're allowed to use the brakes when practising an emergency stop. If you approach corners, roundabouts, traffic lights and junctions at the right speed you don't need to use the brakes that much, but you do need to use them!

salr

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 02, 2010, 11:09:31 AM
Slowing the car down without using the brakes is called engine braking. If you dip the clutch while you're doing that then you're out of gear and coasting, which I think is illegal, you might want to ask about that.

I'm not sure what his weird problem with not using the brakes is. They're there to slow the car down. I assume you're allowed to use the brakes when practising an emergency stop. If you approach corners, roundabouts, traffic lights and junctions at the right speed you don't need to use the brakes that much, but you do need to use them!

Yeah I don't know how you are supposed to get the car into first gear without some form of double-cluching which definately isn't in the test.

One good tip my instructor gave me was to talk out loud about what I was goning to do next. I think it gives the adjudicator the impression that you are considering all the options. gl.

petula dusty

Well yeah, it's all about the speed. I think it was perhaps a communication failure as he kept telling me to cover the pedals and I kept pressing them instead. I will have to see what happens next week as it will probably make more sense then. I know that you're not supposed to use the clutch as a brake and that coasting is bad so I'm hoping I've just got confused.

There really should be some kind of register where you can find out an instructors pass rate and professional qualifications/experience. It's ridiculous that you just have to take their word for it.

The Masked Unit

I was a late passer (27 I think) and it was one of the best things I ever did. The thought of not having a car now is almost up there with losing the ability to count or something.

There's no "right" amount of lessons you need; it depends purely on how naturally you take to driving - it took me three tests and a shit load of hours/money to get there because I'm not naturally confident on the road (I'm perfectly fine with the manual control of the vehicle; it's just actually being on the road in traffic, at big roundabouts, junctions etc. that I'm not so comfortable with). If I'd have fluked my first test I probably would've killed somebody by now.

Also, learn in a manual. I agree with Shoulders that if you don't have the manual dexterity/hand eye coordination to handle gears then you probably don't belong on the road.

Good luck! I know it's a fucking pain in the arse learning, and you should fully expect to fail the first time, but the feeling you get when you're out by yourself the first time after you've passed thinking to yourself "Surely this isn't allowed!" and knowing you'll never have to take another lesson again is incredible!

Side note - when I did eventually pass, my assessor was herself being assessed, so I feel that I passed some kind of super test!

salr

Quote from: petula dusty on July 02, 2010, 11:22:39 AM
Well yeah, it's all about the speed. I think it was perhaps a communication failure as he kept telling me to cover the pedals and I kept pressing them instead. I will have to see what happens next week as it will probably make more sense then. I know that you're not supposed to use the clutch as a brake and that coasting is bad so I'm hoping I've just got confused.

There really should be some kind of register where you can find out an instructors pass rate and professional qualifications/experience. It's ridiculous that you just have to take their word for it.

Yeah you should be able to use the engine braking in second gear. If he/she fails you on failing to use first ger they are a cunt. It sounds as though the maneuvers are the problem. Remember that even thougn the intructor might say 'do a three point turn' what they are looking for is the ability to turn the car round without hitting the curb. You can take as many turns as you like as long as you dont hit the kerb.

purlieu

This thread has scared me out of learning to drive.  WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

rudi

Quote from: purlieu on July 02, 2010, 12:23:06 PM
This thread has scared me out of learning to drive.

Good, there are too many people in my way as it is.

An tSaoi

I second/third everyone saying you should learn in a manual. If you only get the automatic license, not only are you severely limiting the vehicles you can drive, but it'll also make it harder to pass your manual test down the line (because you'll have got so used to automatic in the meantime). I wouldn't worry about it though; most testers would rather see you pass than fail. And, as a 39 year old woman, you're not going to get the heavy scrutiny that say, an 18 year old lad would. I've also heard that British driving tests are relatively easier than many other countries. You'll be fine.

In my experience, observations are what the testers look for the most. Mirror before signal and all of that. As long as you look around a lot - and make sure the tester can see that you're looking around - you should be okay. Most people just move their eyes, which the tester might not notice, so my instructor gave me a handy tip; angle the rear-view mirror a little bit off, so you'll have to visibly move your head to see it. That way they know you're checking.

I've found that the more you think about clutching and gear-changes, the more likely you are to mess it up/stall. Once you get to the point where it's committed to muscle memory and you can just do it without going through the sequence in your mind, you know you're ready to take the test. And remember; BBC - brake before clutch.

I was also told to always stop in second gear and only go into first when you're ready to take off again, but don't hold me to that.

Consignia

Quote from: An tSaoi on July 02, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
I've also heard that British driving tests are relatively easier than many other countries.

I thought it was the opposite, that's why a British driving license is good enough for most other countries.

An tSaoi

Well, I have no frame of reference so I don't know - except in my experience Northern Ireland drivers tend to be worse than Southern ones which leads me to think their test is easier, and indeed I was advised to take mine in the North because I'd have a better chance of passing - and my (British) instructor had worked in a few countries, and said that the test in Ireland was much harder than the one back home. Apparently he saw someone go up on the kerb in England and still pass. Of course there's always the possibility he was talking bollocks

Aren't the Scandinavian countries' tests supposed to be very tough, almost like a rally test? They have to slide through cones and everything (according to Top Gear).

Milo

Hmm, touching the kerb is supposed to be an instant fail.

An tSaoi

Yeah, it seems a bit unlikely doesn't it?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Consignia on July 02, 2010, 01:19:44 PM
I thought it was the opposite, that's why a British driving license is good enough for most other countries.

The US is definitely a lot easier, and getting an automatic licence (which is what most people do as almost everyone drives automatics here) entitles you to drive a manual if you want. Plus driving lessons are given free as part of school in America.

Tbazz Why?

I know it seems like a pain in the ass, but try and get a manual license. It helps you get a better understanding of how a car works, and even if you end up driving (and owning) an auto, I think the more you understand about how a car works, the better and safer a driver you'll be.
Every car I've owned over the years has been an auto (I'm a lazy gobshite who loves to coast around like changing gears is beneath me), but the number of times I've had to jump behind the wheels of someone else's car has made me very grateful that I took the extra time to conquer the gearbox/clutch conundrum.

Either way, best of luck!