Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:17:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The fuck??

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, July 07, 2010, 07:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I just saw an episode of Skins (don't ask) where a girl made the comment that someone was "gay as a window"!

If I had to make a list of places where I expected to see Morris references, I'm pretty sure an episode of Skins (in particular the shitty later episodes) would be somewhere near the bottom, just above "in the US Constitution".

biggytitbo

It might not have been a Morris reference, it seems to be a phrase that's taken on a life of its own so they could have got it from anywhere! Certainly I've heard people use it without knowing it was from Brass Eye.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seems like the sort of thing that would catch on with the OMG LOL Random! crowd.

thepuffpastryhangman

I aint lookin' who writes it, but isn't likely they put it in as a(n in) joke?

The Masked Unit

To this day, one of my favourite Morrisisms.

Mr Colossal

It confused some anglers six years ago:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/gay-window-t19631.html&pid=236260&mode=threaded

although its one of those shit forums where you've got to click on every subsequent reply so I dont know what was said.  Why do forums like that even exist!?

although one of them does make a window pane > pain in the arse connection. maybe its like an associative version of rhyming slang?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 07, 2010, 07:38:22 PM
although its one of those shit forums where you've got to click on every subsequent reply so I dont know what was said.  Why do forums like that even exist!?

I have no idea why IMDB still does this. It's fucking shit.

Zero Gravitas

There's also a linear option under the options dropdown, it's commonly reproductions of newsgroup discussions that have that threaded format.

Serge

On a similar note, did anybody use the word 'mentalist' the way Alan Partridge uses it before Partridge, er, used it? It seems to be a common alternative for 'madman' amongst pretty much everyone I know, though I know they're not all Partridge fans. Though I suppose it could have leaked into the language from there.

biggytitbo

I don't think they did, I'm pretty sure it was a malapropism coined by the character.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 07, 2010, 07:53:55 PM
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/gay-window-t19631.html&p=236260#entry236260

nah its still 'threaded'.  I agree with the nags, threaded is fucking shit.   I forgot about Imbd!  Dragging me down an interesting little path and making me seriously question whether Ive got the willpower and resolve needed to continue clicking when I get to the bottom of each and every page of replies...  and then the double kick in the bollocks of making me press 'back' about 40 times to get back where I started when I DO give up!   somebody should tell them about that.   it should be fucking obvious inthe grand scheme of things.

I didnt notice that 'options' button.   I guess you're conditioned not to look for design quirks on forums you were merely 'googling into'.   Imdb doesnt have one of those does it.   I will feel stupid if it does after all these years!

Serge

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 07, 2010, 08:03:36 PM
I don't think they did, I'm pretty sure it was a malapropism coined by the character.

That was what I thought, but it seems so widespread, I fully expect my niece (aged 4½) to start using it anytime now.

Mr Colossal

I think most people do naturally gravitate to using MENTALIST as in 'you complete mentalist!'  I'd never heard of the other meaning of the word until Derren Brown had become a household name practicing the art of 'mentalism' etc.  I personally wouldnt credit partridge with being the catalyst. It just seems too obvious/common a thing like stoners putting- 'age' on the end of something (did anyone lay claim to inventing that?  *thinks back to pauly shore in california man*).  I think he would pointing out the irony in people saying it, if anything,  like those people who keep banging on about how being ignorant and ignoring someone are two different things!

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 07, 2010, 08:21:24 PM
I think most people do naturally gravitate to using MENTALIST as in 'you complete mentalist!'  I'd never heard of the other meaning of the word until Derren Brown had become a household name practicing the art of 'mentalism' etc.
Aye but 'mentalist' has no meaning in the sense of lunatic, until Alan Partridge!

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 07, 2010, 08:23:07 PMAye but 'mentalist' has no meaning in the sense of lunatic, until Alan Partridge!

I don't know, the idea that reality and objects only have existence before the awareness of minds is pretty insane.

Tiny Poster

"Gay as a window" is an Irish phrase. I believe Arthur Mathews suggested it.

thepuffpastryhangman

EDIT - Sorry, I misread the 'suggested it' part. Now I see it clearly my "So does he" makes far (not usually bothered) less sense.

In Love Actually, Gregor Fisher's character refers to Bill Nighy's character being 'as gay as a maypole'.

After seeing the film, I read a broadly positive review in which the reviewer singled out his favourite line - the line about Bill Nighy's character being 'as gay as a meatball.'

That's it, that's the whole anecdote.

rudi

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 08, 2010, 04:52:18 PM
In Love Actually, Gregor Fisher's character refers to Bill Nighy's character being 'as gay as a maypole'.

After seeing the film, I read a broadly positive review in which the reviewer singled out his favourite line - the line about Bill Nighy's character being 'as gay as a meatball.'

That's it, that's the whole anecdote.

Well that's chapter three of your memoirs sorted. Onwards and upwards...

Shame Parky's not on any more, isn't it?