Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,784
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MOAR Roman Shit Found in Second-Largest Ever HOARD

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 08, 2010, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10549940.stm

Woohoo!

Yes, it's not as big as the Staffordshire find, but if that hadn't happened, wouldn't we be making a bigger deal out of it?

Please be as excited as me about old coins. Thank you.

...oh and show your appreciation for the simple majesty of the name Dave Crisp. Thank you.

Jemble Fred

Shit! That's not far from me! What a dream that would be, it has to be one of my most dearly held ambitions*. Lucky cunt.

*Both finding a hoard and meeting/sexing/running away with the endlessly lovely Dr Alice Roberts, that is.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, I would add for the interests of balance that I not only respect Dr. Roberts for her broadcasting career and academia, I also want to shag her tits off.

Jemble Fred

Before anyone dives in to complain again that this site is turning into Nuts magazine, I should point out that I love her with a deep romantic passion, it's not just wild wishes of aperture-burgling.

So I guess if I want to fulfill my OTHER ambition I have to spend at least two decades slowly walking around with a metal detector? Hmmm, is it worth it...

biggytitbo

Alice Roberts is alright, but she's got nothing on that Cornish bloke from Time Team. He's got bigger tits too which is nice.

Cerys

About a foot below the surface?  Makes you wonder how recently they were left there.  A few hundred years ago?

alan nagsworth

Maybe they were found last year but the eager chap who discovered them was running so excitedly back to his comrades, he tripped on a cow pat and face-planted them into the dirt. Having later had the misfortune to be slept upon by a nearby cow, he soon forgot about the coins in favour of his very scary plight and hat to eat his way out. Maybe cows aren't to be taken lightly at all.

I'm just sayin' is all.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteAbout a foot below the surface?  Makes you wonder how recently they were left there.  A few hundred years ago?

Neolithic flints can be found on the surface of plowed fields if you know where to look. In fact plowed fields are usually a very good spot to find roman (or any period for that matter) coins due to the soil being continually turned over for thousands of years thus giving any object no chance to settle and be burried.

Cerys

Good point, thanks - but a 'large jar'?  I have a mental image of some yokel finding it while working in the fields, and just reburying it so as not to be hauled off by the peelers.  As it were.

Goldentony

Are you allowed to keep the kind of shit like this that you find in the ground? All too often I read about how this bullshit is donated to science or museums. Fuck science and museums, quite frankly, motherfuckers coming up to people with jars of Roman loot with their arms open wide like they want something for free. If I found something like this i'd flat out refuse, melt it down and buy Floor 30, Suite 3000, Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, 3000 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, Nevada.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I am enjoying the thought of Roman coins being melted down and used to buy a hotel suite.

I don't think you are under any obligation are you? If you wanted to be all wheeler-dealer about it, I'm sure the British Museum would open their wallets. Maybe I'm talking shit.

I guess at the very least, Dave Crisp will have made and will be making some money through the publicity.

Goldentony

I guess if any of the british museum are Roman descendents you'd probably be obliged to give it back to them as some sort of reparation for the treatment of the Romans by the British whenever Claudius came to britan, 1941 - 1945 or something.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: Goldentony on July 09, 2010, 03:01:28 PM
Are you allowed to keep the kind of shit like this that you find in the ground?
No, it's the Queen's.  (I think -- I couldn't be arsed to read the fucking thing.)

You might get a reward, so please do keep the Vegas dream alive.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Goldentony on July 09, 2010, 03:01:28 PM
Are you allowed to keep the kind of shit like this that you find in the ground? All too often I read about how this bullshit is donated to science or museums. Fuck science and museums, quite frankly, motherfuckers coming up to people with jars of Roman loot with their arms open wide like they want something for free. If I found something like this i'd flat out refuse, melt it down and buy Floor 30, Suite 3000, Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, 3000 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, Nevada.

Ah - Kool Keith's house!

El Unicornio, mang

Mr_Simnock

Melting the coins down for scrap would give you a tiny fraction of the value returned from the sale of actual intact jar with coins even after the money has been split with the land owner. Most coins are valuable not because of what they are made of (although it helps if they are gold) but due to their rarity or more importantly their historical significance.