Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crow (2024)

Started by paddy72, March 16, 2024, 08:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddy72

Good, or a load of old toss, do we reckon?

Been in development hell since 2008 apparently, with a revolving door of names attached along the way.

I remember sort of enjoying the original, but don't think I ever watched it again after 1994.

bomb_dog

Either it's incredibly violent with no jeopardy because T'crow guy is already dead, or that trailer replaces the need to see the film.

Looks a bit like a late night FilmFour watch with a beer that you fall asleep just before the end then forget anything that happened in it by the next day.

Nice blood spread into a crow shape at the end though

SteveDave

Sebastian Cobb

not arsed.

the original wasn't exactly bad but I doubt it would even be remembered if it wasn't for Lee's tragic accident.

El Unicornio, mang

Looks a bit rubbish, the comments on that video are brutal. I rewatched the original not long ago and it stands up pretty well, partly 90s nostalgia though. Good soundtrack as well

beanheadmcginty

Good job Alec Baldwin wasn't cast in this.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 16, 2024, 11:29:50 AMLooks a bit rubbish, the comments on that video are brutal. I rewatched the original not long ago and it stands up pretty well, partly 90s nostalgia though. Good soundtrack as well
I don't think I've watched it since the 90s, when I caught it on TV by chance - I wasn't aware Brandon Lee had died during filming, and quite enjoyed it on it's own terms enough to pick up the comic book not long after.

The book is a bit more grimy/brutal and perhaps harder to film. The main thing I remember, though, was that the two police characters were called Albrecht and Hook , as the writer was a big Joy Division fan - as I was at the time. Albrecht had maybe one or two scenes in the book, but they fleshed him out for the Ernie Hudson role in the film.

Mister Six

I loved the original, but I was also a teenager at the time. I'll watch this because I'm gently intrigued, but it doesn't seem like something that has to be viewed at the cinema.

Goldentony

only somewhat familiar with the Crow soundtrack and it's melted my mind that Jane Siberry is on there

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why have they made him look like the version of the Joker that no one likes?

Rev+

Cannot fucking stand the original film, it was flypaper for half-Goth leather coat wearing Vampire the Masquerade playing bellends.  Stone Temple Pilots on the soundtrack disqualifies anything from being good, anyway.  If I'd seen it even a couple of years after it'd came out I'd probably not dislike it so much, but it was so much of its time, and of the crowd it was trying to appeal to, who were all twats.

This?  Looks like splattery rubbish, which can admittedly be good if you're in the right mood.  No idea why they're bothering with a remake though.  He's barely a character, it's barely a story, and unless I'm more out of touch than I know I am, it's not exactly something the public were demanding.

Mister Six

Watched the trailer, and I reckon it could be quite fun, even if the dialogue is obviously pish.

madhair60

Quote from: Rev+ on March 17, 2024, 12:10:04 AMhalf-Goth leather coat wearing Vampire the Masquerade playing

these people sound far cooler than YOU

Fambo Number Mive

Have just started rewatching the original, might check this remake out when it comes on streaming if it isn't too much money.

Shaky

The deification of the original has always been laughable - it's absolutely fine for older teens and the, er, young at heart, but only the soundtrack and the death of Lee have made it more memorable than, say, The Shadow or The Phantom from the same time.

Original director Alex Proyas is NOT happy and has been firing little barbs on social media. Can't help feeling he's overreacting slightly when he didn't even create the property (and is also struggling to get his own stuff made these days).

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2024, 09:15:29 AMnot arsed.

the original wasn't exactly bad but I doubt it would even be remembered if it wasn't for Lee's tragic accident.

This exactly. Shallow style-over-substance made cult due to an unforeseen death.

elliszeroed

Original movie was great. Loved it as a teen, love it now. Sequels were shit.  One had David Angel in it, another had Edward Furlong. The second one had Mia Kirschner as a grown-up Sara, but was still crap.

TV show had a predictable but semi-interesting idea, that there was an anti-crow called a Snake, but never developed it. The show wasn't that great.

Original comic was great. All the sequels by other writers were shruggable.

I think they tried an ongoing series at Image, ran for ten issues.

Goldentony

Quote from: Rev+ on March 17, 2024, 12:10:04 AMCannot fucking stand the original film, it was flypaper for half-Goth leather coat wearing Vampire the Masquerade playing bellends.  Stone Temple Pilots on the soundtrack disqualifies anything from being good, anyway.  If I'd seen it even a couple of years after it'd came out I'd probably not dislike it so much, but it was so much of its time, and of the crowd it was trying to appeal to, who were all twats.

did you have a bad encounter with Marc Morris at an Electrowerkz film fair

Rev+

Yes, and despite what he claims the broken nose proves that he won nothing.

Memorex MP3

I seem to remember Dark City being a lot more fun overall. The Crow is solid as a relic of an era but that's about it; have some fondness for one of its sequels I saw as a teen at like 4am one night though, just a really weird looking film

elliszeroed

Dark City was great; but I'm pretty sure the version I saw had the same problem as Predator, it revealed the "twist" in the prologue.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: elliszeroed on March 17, 2024, 10:49:40 PMDark City was great; but I'm pretty sure the version I saw had the same problem as Predator, it revealed the "twist" in the prologue.

I thunk the studio demanded the explanatory voicover at the start for the sake of stupid people, but it was removed for the director's cut. Good film anyway.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah my friend insisted I watched the directors cut first but wouldn't say why.

dontpaintyourteeth

I haven't seen that one. How dark is the city exactly?

Goldentony

does anybody have a bigger cache of grebo points than Nine Inch Nails for having a song on both The Crow AND Natural Born Killers AND performing both songs at Woodstock 1994

Goldentony

I saw the Crow on Channel 4 in 1998 I believe and I remember that because everybody else in school did too and the only thing 99% of lads were talking about the day after was The Crow, even the people who hadn't seen it started lying that they had

dissolute ocelot

But we have Morbius. Why do we need The Crow?

There's also Venom and a bunch of other stuff chasing the same edgy comic book dollar.

I watched the original once while very stoned. Although I haven't smoked anything for a few years, I am still a goth with low standards (Morbius was OK).

greenman

Sanders Ghost in the Shell was I think pretty decent and Skarsgard was fun in Wick 4 so I'm somewhat interested in this although I wouldnt be supprised if the former is doing this to get out of the hollywood doghouse after ghost didnt do very well at the box office.

Blumf

Quote from: Goldentony on March 18, 2024, 07:03:47 PMI saw the Crow on Channel 4 in 1998 I believe ... even the people who hadn't seen it started lying that they had

Sebastian Cobb

This and Dusk Till Dawn did seem like something everyone in the plaground had seen for a certain generation.