Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

There's something uncanny and unreal about seeing footage of them shot in that style, in that quality isn't there. Get the same vibe from it I got from the (incredible) Apollo 11 (2019), also constructed from footage shot in 1969 and left to gather dust since.

kalowski

I'm going to watch Let It Be tonight to get in the mood.

daf

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 13, 2021, 05:52:22 PM
Can't wait, but I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen though.

Just move closer to the telly!

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on October 13, 2021, 07:34:14 PM
Let It Be is so shadowy and dark, I'm amazed at how clean and bright the Peter Jackson clips look.

lazyhour

Wasn't this reported as being made into a longer series, because there was so much great footage? And wasn't that one of the justifications for it moving from cinemas to streaming TV? Just a 3-parter seems a bit disappointing if there was 50+ hours of footage!

daf

Two hours each - so 6 in all. There'll probably also be some more stuff on the blu-ray.

He's obviously trimmed it down to stuff that pushes his chosen narrative along*, and is also worth sitting through (so several hours of beating Teddy Boy into the ground most likely hit the cutting room floor!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (setting themselves a mission to write & record an album from scratch and perform it live in under a month)

kalowski

Did I dream a time where they were playing Get Back and Lennon's guitar cut out for a bit? Could have sworn it was on the rooftop but it didn't happen. Not finished yet so maybe they play it twice.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on October 13, 2021, 09:22:43 PM
Did I dream a time where they were playing Get Back and Lennon's guitar cut out for a bit? Could have sworn it was on the rooftop but it didn't happen. Not finished yet so maybe they play it twice.
They did play it twice, and John's guitar did cut out the second time!

daf

It was Mal Evans who tuned off both Lennon's and Harrison's amps, after the Rozzers started giving him evils :

QuoteThe final full song was Get Back, although The Beatles nearly stopped performing when the police arrived on the roof. The officers demanded that Mal Evans turn off the group's Fender Twin amplifiers. He complied, but Harrison immediately turned his back on. Evans realised his mistake and turned Lennon's back on too. The amplifiers took several seconds to start again, but The Beatles managed to continue long enough to see the song through to the end.

Paul : "In the end it started to filter up from Mal that the police were complaining. We said, 'We're not stopping.' He said, The police are going to arrest you.' 'Good end to the film. Let them do it. Great! That's an end: "Beatles Busted on Rooftop Gig".' We kept going to the bitter end and, as I say, it was quite enjoyable. I had my little Hofner bass – very light, very enjoyable to play. In the end the policeman, Number 503 of the Greater Westminster Council, made his way round the back: 'You have to stop!' We said, 'Make him pull us off. This is a demo, man!' I think they pulled the plug, and that was the end of the film."

This third rooftop performance of "Get Back" was the last song of the Beatles' final live performance. As a climax it could scarcely be bettered, with McCartney ad-libbing, "You've been playing on the roofs again, and that's no good, and you know your Mummy doesn't like that ... she gets angry ... she's gonna have you arrested! Get back!" The police presence ensured that The Beatles would play no more on the roof. The concert over, McCartney thanked Starr's wife Maureen for her enthusiastic cheering with a simple "Thanks Mo!", and Lennon quipped "I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we've passed the audition".

When assembling the Let it Be album in 1970, Spector crossfaded this end chatter on to the take used for the single of "Get Back". The single's reverb effect and coda were also omitted, creating the impression that the single and album versions were different takes.

Ringo : "I always feel let down about the police. Someone in the neighbourhood called the police, and when they came up I was playing away and I thought, 'Oh great! I hope they drag me off.' I wanted the cops to drag me off – 'Get off those drums!' – because we were being filmed and it would have looked really great, kicking the cymbals and everything. Well, they didn't, of course; they just came bumbling in: 'You've got to turn that sound down.' It could have been fabulous."

kalowski

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on October 13, 2021, 02:42:16 PM
Trailer for the three-part 'Get Back' series > > > here

https://www.thebeatles.com/disney-debuts-trailer-and-key-art-beatles-get-back

Why do you never see a younger Beatles gobbing on an older Beatles?

JaDanketies

Quote from: Retinend on August 15, 2021, 10:36:43 AM
I can't imagine hating music from 20 years ago with such a passion. Maybe this is the reflexive Beatlemaniac in me, but to me it's a covert compliment to the Beatles, that they were relevant enough to attack in such excessive language so long after breaking up.
I still see people ranting about how bad nu-metal is on some Facebook groups occasionally.

gilbertharding

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 13, 2021, 04:44:17 PM
Yeah they should release it on 35mm film and send a free copy to all Beatles fans.

Don't know what to make of this...

Quote from: kalowski on October 13, 2021, 07:34:14 PM

OK thanks.

kalowski

Just making sure CaB is abreast of my actions.

studpuppet

kalowski

I love that Barry Wom is short for Barrington Womble

lankyguy95

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 14, 2021, 02:43:59 PM
I still see people ranting about how bad nu-metal is on some Facebook groups occasionally.
Muscle memory. I don't see how that genuinely provokes ire now.

Goldentony

when are they going to stop taking the piss and put Carnival of Light out

kalowski

Image 1 from my dodgy copy of Let It Be

Image 2 from the trailer

jamiefairlie

The quality is amazing, I love this kind of restoration project.

studpuppet

This is probably a fairer comparison - top image is from the Beatles 1 DVD, and the bottom is from the trailer:

kalowski

Yeah, mine is a low res avi of Let It Be, but the improvement in quality for me is brilliant.

daf

Would have prefered a bit more grain - looks a bit waxy (also, they tinted the glass green . . . for some reason!)

Here's the original :

The trailer does indeed look waxy, was expecting that satisfying grain and late 60s celluloid colour but it looks like they've gone overboard with the digital noise reduction and artificial image sharpening

daf

Attention Peter Jackson - sort out this waxy CGI bollocks!

Glebe

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: daf on October 14, 2021, 11:09:21 PM
Would have prefered a bit more grain - looks a bit waxy (also, they tinted the glass green . . . for some reason!)

Presumably so it matches the carpet. Jackson tinkering with history and decor; the man is out of control.

I agree that it all looks a bit waxy and borderline uncanny valley. Still can't wait to see it, though.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I thought it was just my phone or I was going to be told I was talking out my arse if I posted about that.

Didn't look like that in the sneak peek last year (edit - or did it???) what on earth are they playing at, its not They Shall Not Grow Old. Yeah its old film they're scanning etc but there's noise reduction then there's this weird state of affairs.

Will be a fun watch either way but I know myself too well to think I won't be able to just switch off that fussy part of my brain the whole time.

Glebe

He'll be putting Gollum in there next!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Glebe on October 14, 2021, 11:43:36 PM
He'll be putting Gollum in there next!

The scene in which a visiting Peter Sellers wrestles with King Kong is staggering, apparently.