Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: famethrowa on June 23, 2021, 02:51:06 AM
Just realised Dave Bowie is actually stepping into the room/pod on the cover of Station to Station; not just poking his head in like Mr. Ed as I've always thought.

Presumably that's because you were familair with the original version of the sleeve, which used a cropped black & white version of the image.

The uncropped colour version of the sleeve had been prepared and a small number were printed as proofs by RCA in the US  back in 1975 but Bowie rejected it (the image you posted is of one of those proof prints). It was only in 1990 when Rykodisc resissued Bowie's albums that the colour version of the sleeve was used.

The room/pod is actually an anechoic chamber that was used as the interior for the capsule on Thomas Newton Jerome's  rocket.

famethrowa

Quote from: buzby on June 23, 2021, 02:31:23 PM
Presumably that's because you were familair with the original version of the sleeve, which used a cropped black & white version of the image.

I was, and you can kind of see his stance in the cropped one, but I guess dusty album covers and old books made it hard to make out the bottom half. I thought he was just having a cheeky peek, but he's hopping right in there!

Custard

Hans Zimmer was in The Buggles

Wait.....whaaaaat?!

buzby

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 24, 2021, 09:50:35 AM
Hans Zimmer was in The Buggles

Wait.....whaaaaat?!
He wasn't. He worked with them as a programmer and session keyboard player.

He was a friend of Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes, who Horn had got to know while producing and engineering tracks Zimmer had been hired to write and perform for advert soundtracks (he had moved to London in the mid-70s to advance his career and was hired by Gerorge Martin's commercial music company Air Edelle). Before forming Buggles, Horn, Downes, Zimmer, Thomas Dolby and Bruce Wooley worked together as a band called Camera Club to make experimental electronic music, but they never put out any records.

Horn and Downes then formed Buggles, and whle they were working on their album (which they were doing at night during studio downtime as they still had day jobs). Horn was still working as a producer for hire and during a session working with Zimmer he told him about his and Downes new project and asked him for help with synth programming and playing keyboards (all they keyboard lines on The Age Of Plastic were played by hand as they had no sequencers). That was how he ended up behind the keyboard in the promo video for Video Killed The Radio Star. He was never an official member of the band though.

popcorn

Met a bloke who enthusiastically told me that Hans Zimmer's synth technician was his uncle and would definitely be up for having me round for a cup of tea and a fiddle with his oscillators. He replied to my email with a curt message saying he was extremely busy.

famethrowa

willbo

Quote from: famethrowa on June 24, 2021, 12:23:22 PM
Hans Zimmer produced The Damned!

I knew that because when The Dark Knight came out websites were talking about how HZ used his punk/industrial experience for the soundtrack

non capisco

We must have already had "Hans Zimmer wrote the theme song for 'Going For Gold'."

Better than his fucking annoying score for The Dark Knight Rises, let's face it.

famethrowa

Quote from: willbo on June 24, 2021, 08:14:26 PM
I knew that because when The Dark Knight came out websites were talking about how HZ used his punk/industrial experience for the soundtrack

Hmmm but History of the World is not exactly Stab Your Back, Hans

Cuellar

Quote from: non capisco on June 24, 2021, 08:33:08 PM
We must have already had "Hans Zimmer wrote the theme song for 'Going For Gold'."

Better than his fucking annoying score for The Dark Knight Rises, let's face it.

Brilliant!

Custard

I only noticed the other day that his main chanty theme for Dark Knight Rises is exactly the same as the Mission Impossible theme. He just repeats the first line of the "chorus" over and over for the chant. Still effective though, I reckon

Hope he nicks Kokomo from Cocktail for the next DCU dire-fest

Talking of Kokomo, I had no idea that John Phillips and Scott McKenzie had a big hand in writing it. Thought it was a bit too good for Mike Love

Added hat fuckery being Kokomo isn't a real place. Like finding out the Easter Bunny is Uncle Jeff

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Till Lindemann, the lead singer of Deutsche Neue Harte band Rammstein, is a grandfather.

willbo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 01, 2021, 08:53:46 PM
Till Lindemann, the lead singer of Deutsche Neue Harte band Rammstein, is a grandfather.

i'd imagine quite a few of the 90s era/nu metal stars are now

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 01, 2021, 08:53:46 PM

He's 58, could even be a great grandfather.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

No, he literally has a grandson. Grandson is a big fan of his music and Lindemann posts cute pictures of them together on his Insta but it's still a bit incongruous/mind-blowing given Rammstein's (and Lindemann's) strange, strange music videos.

jenna appleseed

Junior Campbell of of Marmalade / Hallelujah Freedom did the Thomas The Tank Engine music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Campbell

Dusty Substance

John Cale arranged and played synths on Julie Covington's cover of Only Women Bleed.

Artie Fufkin

Apologies if this has already been pointed out; Mark Knopfler wrote Private Dancer, as in the Tina Turner hit. Mark Knopfler's a prostitute!

The Mollusk

I was quite bowled over not too long ago, when reading the sleeve notes for light-and-lovely indie band Real Estate's (best) album "Days", that Oneohtrix Point Never played the fluttering synthesiser that closes their song "Out of Tune". I mean it does sound a lot like his style but I've no idea how the two acts came together nor how it resulted in that one relatively minor contribution. Very odd. This is why buying physical music is important, people!

famethrowa

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 07, 2021, 01:24:43 PM
Apologies if this has already been pointed out; Mark Knopfler wrote Private Dancer, as in the Tina Turner hit. Mark Knopfler's a prostitute!

Love that one, especially that it's basically ver Straits playing the backing, minus The Knopf due to contractual complications. So Jeff Beck came in to play an awful solo!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: famethrowa on July 07, 2021, 02:09:35 PM
Love that one, especially that it's basically ver Straits playing the backing, minus The Knopf due to contractual complications. So Jeff Beck came in to play an awful solo!
From reading Wiki, it seems Knopfler shares your disdain for the solo. I'm sure the resultant royalties helped in his case, though.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 07, 2021, 02:15:43 PM
From reading Wiki, it seems Knopfler shares your disdain for the solo. I'm sure the resultant royalties helped in his case, though.

Imagine being responsible for putting Tina back on top! The grumpy ol bugger might have even smiled at that thought. But I'm sure he had a pretty decent solo demoed for the song anyway, couldn't they just get someone to copy it?

phantom_power

Quote from: famethrowa on July 07, 2021, 02:19:24 PM
Imagine being responsible for putting Tina back on top! The grumpy ol bugger might have even smiled at that thought. But I'm sure he had a pretty decent solo demoed for the song anyway, couldn't they just get someone to copy it?

Don't Heaven 17 take some of the share in praise for restarting her career?

Artie Fufkin

All I desire
Tina Turner!
Keep climbing higher and higher
Tina Turner!
Adorable creatures
Tina Turner!
With unacceptable features
Tina Turner

Bit rude.....

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 07, 2021, 01:47:09 PM
I was quite bowled over not too long ago, when reading the sleeve notes for light-and-lovely indie band Real Estate's (best) album "Days", that Oneohtrix Point Never played the fluttering synthesiser that closes their song "Out of Tune". I mean it does sound a lot like his style but I've no idea how the two acts came together nor how it resulted in that one relatively minor contribution. Very odd. This is why buying physical music is important, people!

I think he was friends with Matt Mondanile. Daniel Lopatin and Joel Ford also played for Ducktails' The Flower Lane and the three of them are hanging out together in an old video of Real Estate playing in Queens.

Have you heard the recent Real Estate EP called Half a Human? I thought it was really good. It was the first time I'd listened to them and not missed Mondanile's guitar playing. It has some of the dreamy feeling of Days and Atlas but they seem to be happier as a jam band now and I think that works better with Justin Lynch's guitar playing. Alex Bleeker's song reminds me of The Red Crayola.

The Mollusk

Thanks for the info! I've not listened to their music in a while actually, I sort of tailed off after "Days" as I felt like those first two albums were all I really needed from them. Got that EP downloaded though so will check it out at your recommendation, thanks :)

crankshaft

Quote from: phantom_power on July 07, 2021, 02:20:22 PM
Don't Heaven 17 take some of the share in praise for restarting her career?

Absolutely. She ensured they were invited to contribute to the Private Dancer album after they enlisted her to cover "Ball Of Confusion" on the first B.E.F. album.

Also, she credits David Bowie for her being retained by Capitol Records; after he signed to their sister label EMI America, the execs tried to take him for dinner but he said, "no, I'm going to watch my favourite singer". The label people tagged along; it was a Tina Turner show, and they were so impressed by what they saw that they renewed her contract.

famethrowa

Boards of Canada aren't from Canada. Bloody HELL!

phantom_power

You'll shit bricks when you hear about Mouse on Mars

famethrowa